What's new

Greetings from Greece

Hello, my name is Nikos. I'm 19 years old and come from Argos. A city on Peloponnesos in Greece. My hobbys are sport, athletics, history, art and reenacting.

Welcome mate! You came at exactly the right place! :no:

Greetings to you, @Apollon. Welcome to the forum. We already have a Greek member - @Foinikas. Please say hello to him too. :)

And what do you mean by "Re-enacting" ?

Hello, my name is Nikos. I'm 19 years old and come from Argos. A city on Peloponnesos in Greece. My hobbys are sport, athletics, history, art and reenacting.
Hello Nikos, nice to have a Greek here. I have always been fascinated by Greek history and it's impact on what is Pakistan today. One young man from your people made a uninvited visit to our lands over 2,000 years ago causing lot of havoc but I think we are past that today. Last year I holidayed on the lovely Crete island.

Here is a little reminder of Greece's contact with our lands. Alexander the Great Monument near site of Battle of Hydaspes.

1632986344623.png

1632986404046.png

Welcome aboard mate 😊
Just curious how far you live from Sparta 😉
Hello Nikos, nice to have a Greek here. I have always been fascinated by Greek history and it's impact on what is Pakistan today. One young man from your people made a uninvited visit to our lands over 2,000 years ago causing lot of havoc but I think we are past that today. Last year I holidayed on the lovely Crete island.

Here is a little reminder of Greece's contact with our lands. Alexander the Great Monument near site of Battle of Hydaspes.

View attachment 781016

View attachment 781017
That's not very far from my native town of PD Khan.
My and my late father argued on this and later we both agreed that that monument of Alexander the great shouldn't be there because after all he was an invader and we should erect raja porus monument instead who was the son of the soil and our ancestor,the one who fought bravely against the Greek invaders.

Welcome dear. Keep kicking.

Koryvantes style? ;)

Yes, but the costumes ect are expensive. 😁
Greetings to you, @Apollon. Welcome to the forum. We already have a Greek member - @Foinikas. Please say hello to him too. :)

And what do you mean by "Re-enacting" ?
Reenacting is playing old eras, with authentic armor, clothes and so on.

View attachment 781016

View attachment 781017

Really a nice monument you have there. Its crazy to imagine how far he got. And im happy you liked Crete. Its a great and very historic island.
Welcome aboard mate 😊

My and my late father argued on this and later we both agreed that that monument of Alexander the great shouldn't be there because after all he was an invader and we should erect raja porus monument instead who was the son of the soil and our ancestor,the one who fought bravely against the Greek invaders.

Oh Sparta is not very far. Its just a bit over an hour by car. But there is not much too see. Sparta did not build many grand buildings in the old days but the old city Mystras is right next to Sparta. So if you ever visit here and want see Sparta, i advice you to make a short stop at the Leonidas statue and then head to Mystras, right nearby.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard mate 😊

he wouldn't be the first invader we admired lol
but on a serious note, I think we should build a big monument of Raja Porus right next to it

but on a serious note, I think we should build a big monument of Raja Porus right next to it

"Despite the apparently one-sided results, Alexander was impressed by Porus and chose to not depose him.[18][19] Not only was his territory reinstated but also expanded — Alexander had the territories of Glausaes (who ruled to the northeast of Porus' kingdom) annexed without any struggle.[18] Omphis was then reconciled with Porus and sent back to Taxila; Bosworth argues that he won't have been particularly happy for Porus having displaced him as the main beneficiary of Alexander's campaigns.[18]

A joint expedition was then mounted against a territory east of Chenab, which was ruled by an enemy-cousin of Porus; he had earlier submitted to Alexander but suspicious of Porus' rise in ranks, chose to flee with his army.[18] The date of this battle remains disputed; Alexander's forces overran his lands before meeting stiff resistance at a walled Sangala on the other side of Ravi.[18] Siege warfare was executed to brilliant effect and the full-fledged attack began, once Porus had joined with his elephants.[18] As Sangala and allying cities were razed, Porus was allowed to station his garrisons.[18]"

Welcome! :usflag::pakistan:

We have a great Greek-American local community here in Virginia where I live. They have built the most beautiful Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church. They have their annual "Greek Festival" coming up in mid-October. My wife and I love their gyros, baklava, spanakopita, souvlaki, pastichio, moussaka, tsoureki , and many other wonderful Greek foods. Long live Greek culture!!

The ones we usually admire atleast brought something good with them i.e the religion. Otherwise look at the awful state of our eastern neighbor ,we too would be drinking cow urine ,bathing with cow dung soap or suffering from things like satti and cruel caste system.
i advice you to make a short stop at the Leonidas statue and then head to Mystras, right nearby.
If everything shown in that movie 300 was true then I have a great respect for Leonidas. If in life I ever visit Greece I will definitely pay my respect to the statue of that great warrior.

The ones we usually admire atleast brought something good with them i.e the religion. Otherwise look at the awful state of our eastern neighbor ,we too would be drinking cow urine ,bathing with cow dung soap or suffering from things like satti and cruel caste system.

If everything shown in that movie 300 was true then I have a great respect for Leonidas. If in life I ever visit Greece I will definitely pay my respect to the statue of that great warrior.

Leonidas was a king of Sparta and because of that he followed the tradition of Sparta. To understand what Sparta was like,, see that Sparta had no walls. The city was not protected. Walls were not needed, because nobody woud dare to attack Sparta.

There was always lots of conflict between the greek city states but when Persia attacked, the city states worked together. Leonidas and his troops pretty much functioned like a roadblock against Xerxes. The persians were very bad strategists and got basicly blocked inside the chasm. There are many famous quotes for Leonidas. When Xerxes meet him, he offered leonidas peace if he lays down his weapons but Leonidas only aswered: Come and get them.

In the end Leonidas and his troops gave the other greek cities enough time to prepare evacuations and counterstrikes. Themistocles of Athens prepared a massive fleet which later on destroyed the entire persian fleet at Salamis. When Xerxes land forces arrived in Athens, the city was empty and evacuated. All women, childen evacuated to other cities.

The battle at Plataea sealed the persians fate.

So if you ever visit Sparta, pay Leonidas I a visit. ^^

Greetings from the United States @Apollon

My city (Philadelphia) has a sizeable Greek population.

Would love to visit Greece one day soon. Especially Mykonos!

Back
Top Bottom