What's new

Greece snatched Turkish islands reporters say

Actually Greeks sabotaged entrance of Turkey. This guy is a joke. He doesn't have sense of history. He is either arrogant, or doesn't read that often.

But for the European continental powers like France and Germany, they don't like Muslims, so they want to keep you stay away from Europe.

As for UK, they are just a trojan horse implanted by Uncle Sam within EU, they wanna see the continental Europeans fight against Muslims, so no one could ever challenge the hegemony of the Anglo-Saxon society.
It's not that simple, issue is not just the identity but Turkey's size. Turkey with a rapidly growing population in time may grow larger than Germany and pull the strings in EU :) It's about power. From my understanding UK has a different mentality because of their imperial past. They have a rather expansionist mindset.

the middle line solution was proposed, but rejected by consecutive Turkish governments. I don't know the reasons for that.
I don't know what was proposed. But no matter how corrupt they are, politicians still answer to the people. If it was a legit solution and you think politicians have messed it up Greece could make it public and seek a different outcome.

amalakas said:
It is evident that Turkish policy for the Aegean is the establishment of more and more disputed islets (I mean really, some of them are literally just rocks, a goat can't stand on) in order to a) not provoke anyone by disputing populated Greek soil and b) achieving the goal of driving the notion of grey zones in the Aegean in order to carve out some territory in the archipelago that the 12 mile extension would leave Turkey completely unaffected.
I think it's perfectly normal that we do so, apperantly even the smallest rock have at least 6nm territorial waters in it's surrounding.. this is so screwed. We need some breathing room nevertheless.

amalakas said:
I wouldn't want to comment on that. Greece has done nothing but support the Turkish joining in the EU. We have a good deal of benefits from such an event.
You'd be right. Greece doesn't really have any exports to Turkey. You sell services, not products. In order to do so, you need a constant flow of tourists in your country and Turkey with such a wast population could return some real profit.

But apperently It's more profitable for Greece if Turkey's stuck on negotiation table. You can use this current situation as a bargaining chip to force Turkey's hand into a concession. But we are too sensitive about these matters. We can't simply sacrifice our cause at Cyprus in order to gain EU membership. Which is unlikely even with Greece's support.

Is that so? I quit counting who is in favor of Turkey's membership and who is not long ago since it is never going to happen and no body cares it in Turkey anymore... But i'm wondering, how did Greece support Turkey's membership and what kind of benefits are you talking about?

Greece openly supported Turkey's possible joining in the EU. The latest in a series of such public declarations came from the Greek foreign minister on the 29th of September 2012 you can google it, this was for the UN general assembly. Every foreign minister since 2001 has maintained this position.

Benefits:

1) Territorial disputes will no longer apply. Borders are no longer existent in the EU.
2) Greece will have open access to a massive market of 80 million people.
3) Through Turkey will have access to further markets in the far east.
4) Economic benefits from saving large amounts of money from arms, since the massive armaments will no longer be needed on our behalf.
5) Imports from Turkey will cost considerably less than ones from Germany or UK or Netherlands, costing us less and helping our import-export balance.
6) Illegal immigrants will be a common problem

these are just naming few. ..

But apperently It's more profitable for Greece if Turkey's stuck on negotiation table. You can use this current situation as a bargaining chip to force Turkey's hand into a concession. But we are too sensitive about these matters. We can't simply sacrifice our cause at Cyprus in order to gain EU membership. Which is unlikely even with Greece's support.

I don't think so.

Greece (and to a large extend Turkey too) is caught between two positions.

One is problems it has with Turkey (which a possible joining of the EU would solve) the second is, its continuing support to Cyprus.

Cyprus has kept the relations of the two countries in deadlock for 39 years. That is a long time.

Turkey joining EU is impossible. Turkey is too big for EU. I don't see why Germany and France would like to sacrifice their bureaucracy position to let Muslim Turkey into EU. When EU wants Turkey in, it would be too late. I think even now it is too late when we listen to Turkish politicians.

Greece (and to a large extend Turkey too) is caught between two positions.
One is problems it has with Turkey (which a possible joining of the EU would solve) the second is, its continuing support to Cyprus.
Cyprus has kept the relations of the two countries in deadlock for 39 years. That is a long time.

Apperently not long enough, now with Israel's involvement and disputes over drilling rights in Cyprus' economic zone, the problem is getting more and more complicated. Turkey can secure a tactical advantage against Israel by invading Syria right away but it won't solve the Cyprus issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom