What's new

Govt tells IAF to consider Boeing's F-18 Super Hornets for $16 bn order

It's election year in India. It's a very similar situation to how it played out in France last year with the chief quitting his job.

Except that our CoS left a few weeks
AFTER the election but ok, let's say!

It still doesn't answer why the GoI won't
finally equip its armies & which you of all
people never got ( Aashish and Abingdon did )
that I'd rather see India pick any plane
at this point because it needs to dearly.

Man buy the Thunder if necess... huh ...
actually, that's an idea, and a swell one
at that - Buy more JF-17s than Pakistan,
who cares, :pakistan:'ll be making money :yahoo:,
copy the Chinese and so the plane itself!?
Then move on to the F-35 and PAK_FA and
make the AMCA better than either or a
67561e3e378f8513c81b977aa9d662b6.png
I don't care but for Pete's sake and yours,
in Nike's immortal words : JUST DO IT! *

GL, Tay.

* Nike the goddess; I ain't sure the corp is!

India has no money despite the chest beaters on these forums India is a poor country India likes to talk themselves up and that's all.

Indians are smart as they have successfully turned down chances of all manufacturers to sell to Pakistan , 10 years in MRCA choosed French paid them hefty as among US and other EU manufacturers France is the only country who was willing for business with Pakistan ,Now again with F16 saga for Pakistan and again lobbying F16 for India so those who think Indians are dumb think again its W/W as till that time Indians will able to produce decent fighter
100% agreed

Except that our CoS left a few weeks
AFTER the election but ok, let's say!

It still doesn't answer why the GoI won't
finally equip its armies & which you of all
people never got ( Aashish and Abingdon did )
that I'd rather see India pick any plane
at this point because it needs to dearly.

Man buy the Thunder if necess... huh ...
actually, that's an idea, and a swell one
at that - Buy more JF-17s than Pakistan,
who cares, :pakistan:'ll be making money :yahoo:,
copy the Chinese and so the plane itself!?
Then move on to the F-35 and PAK_FA and
make the AMCA better than either or a View attachment 459545,
I don't care but for Pete's sake and yours,
in Nike's immortal words : JUST DO IT! *

GL, Tay.

* Nike the goddess; I ain't sure the corp is!

In the last 4 years, since Modi, we purchased 22 Apaches, 10 Chinooks, 36 Rafales, 700 new T-90s, 7 P-17A frigates, 4 Krivak III frigates, 6 SSNs, multiple Akash squadrons, and more recently the soon-to-be-signed S-400. This is not counting paying for all the stuff we are taking deliveries right now, like the Arihant and her sisters, Brahmos, the 4 new destroyers, Scorpenes, MKIs, SPYDER SAMs, stuff signed by the previous govt. That's not counting all the indigenous strategic stuff that you won't find in the media, like the expansion of the production lines for ballistic missiles, expansion and construction of new naval bases, like INS Rambali for our nuclear submarines, military oriented space programs etc.

Our modernization requirement is merely bigger than what we can pay for, but it is happening regardless.

As for fighter planes, we continue to get MKIs, 25 are pending, we have started receiving LCAs, and we will soon get Rafales. So, on the fighter front, we have aircraft incoming even though the tender itself is delayed. 2019-20 will see a new contract for 36 more Rafales. Regardless, right now we have pending deliveries of 101 fighter aircraft over the next 4 years. That's 25 jets a year. Too much is being made of nothing.

The criticism right now is a response to the "smaller than expected" rise in the defence budget this year, nothing else. Not that the rise in the budget was actually small, the capital budget did grow by 9%. Any shortfall will either be solved by the mid of this year or in the next years's budget.

India thought they were getting 126 Rafales, built by HAL, with warranty from Dassault and TOT for $10B, and found out they would be getting 126 Rafales with warranty from HAL and limited TOT for $26B.
I do not think that Dassault/France has changed anything significant in their offer since that was rejected.

The initial four NATO countries built complete aircraft, both in Belgium and in the Netherlands and still have contractual rights to deliver parts for ALL F-16s built worldwide.
They probably have done very well out of the decision to go F-16.
The LM F-16 plant, if sold to India can produce maybe 40% of the value of a finished F-16. The other 60% has to be supplied from more than a dozen countries, including the original four NATO countries.

Guess what. Today Pakistan [emoji1191] has 105 JF-17 Thunder and India [emoji1128] has 5 Tejasss
Guess what :azn:

India already ordered 40 LCA MK1 + 83 MK1A

now guess what :sarcastic:

LCA MK1 has 45% of its body wieght & 99% of its skin made with radar radaitions cheating carbon composites also coated with RAM paont in key areas with Y Duct configuration to 100 % shroud engine blades + it also has 4 challen Digital fly By Wire (JF17 has analog FBW in 3 channel only)

LCA MK1 has LITENING 3 G3 Laser Desigantion Pod compatiability and cn fire all kinds of paveway 2/3 LGBs and other advanced PGMs and SDBs and has DASH3 HMDS-HUD combo with Python5 WVR for HOBS (JF17 does not have HOBS) and has EL-M 2032 MMR- DERBY-I DERBY ER BVR combo & can fire all kinds of advanced radar guided ALCMs & AASMs (which JF17 right now cant)

besides that MK1A is in testing phase with LRDE made GaA based UTTAM AESA fire control Radar and EL 2052 AESA radar (israeli GaN AESA based) and MK1A also has OBOGS & IFR Probe and is approx 550Kgs lighter than MK1 ... do you know what does that means :haha:

That’s too much money for too few airframes... and I though Egypt’s deal with Italy was too much.

That’s too much money for too few airframes... and I though Egypt’s deal with Italy was too much.
The thread is from 2018. India has been stuck in this new fighter loop for years. Its like that ground hog day movie. Every few months its a new potential deal. Rafale, F-18, F21, Su-57, Gripen's....I lost track.

what the hell is going on in India, one day we see news about f-35s, than f18s, previously f16s,at times Swedish gripen or add on orders of Rafales and not to forget 10th generation state of art teja bhai :P - why are they so confused ?
This confusion in their evaluation and procurement process is our saving grace. Although we are no less incompetent in procuring aircrafts. Many deals that were squandered or not pursued for reason known to those at the helm at that time. Some possible deals or opportunities that went no where to such as updated mirage 3/5s mirage F1s, 2000, swedish viggen etc.

This confusion in their evaluation and procurement process is our saving grace. Although we are no less incompetent in procuring aircrafts. Many deals that were squandered or not pursued for reason knien to those at the helm at that time. Some possible deals or opportunities that went no where to such as updated mirage 3/5s mirage F1s, 2000, swedish viggen etc.

They never have any embargo issues like us neither money is much of a problem for them especially in the last 20 years or so hence there is no comparison between us and them. Its more like a confused start of mind when talk about India. Just like after Feb 27 and recent brawl with China, they have been going for a shopping spree in a panic mode. Also current regime wants to shift their main decades old vendor source i.e. Russia to US and EU which ain't that easy.

This confusion in their evaluation and procurement process is our saving grace. Although we are no less incompetent in procuring aircrafts. Many deals that were squandered or not pursued for reason known to those at the helm at that time. Some possible deals or opportunities that went no where to such as updated mirage 3/5s mirage F1s, 2000, swedish viggen etc.
PAF is much better shape today and has a better plan for the future. Only question for PAF today is we buy new J10 variants or wait for J31. India will continue in this uncertainty loop, IMO. They want F-35's but the Americans wont sell it them because of their cozy relations with Russia. Plus they already committed to the Rafale platform and the pandemic has hurt their balance sheets. I expect we will hear more rumors of additional purchases with no solid actions for some time.

PAF is much better shape today and has a better plan for the future. Only question for PAF today is we buy new J10 variants or wait for J31. India will continue in this uncertainty loop, IMO. They want F-35's but the Americans wont sell it them because of their cozy relations with Russia. Plus they already committed to the Rafale platform and the pandemic has hurt their balance sheets. I expect we will hear more rumors of additional purchases with no solid actions for some time.

All the jockeying done by India seems to avoid dependence on a single supplier and extract the maximum technological benefits.

India wants the f-35 at the same terms the f-16 is being offered. USA wants to sell the f-16 at the price of f-35
this looks like a business negotiation to me

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom