What's new

Govt steps on the gas to speed up Delhi-Chandigarh-Amritsar bullet train project

Inqhilab

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Railways has put the third corridor, Delhi-Chandigarh-Amritsar, for running bullet trains on the fast-track.

The transporter held a high-level meeting on Tuesday to speed up the study to run trains at a speed of 300 kmph on the corridor that would reduce travel time to Amritsar to about two-and-half hours from six hours.

The pre-feasibility study of the proposed 450 km long project is being conducted by French consultant Systra,

along with railways subsidiary Rail India Technical and Economic Service (RITES).

Senior railways official met with representative of the two agencies. The study, costing railways about Rs 7 crore, will identify suitable routes for high-speed alignment and station locations using satellite imagery data.

It would give a detailed idea about the cost, environmental impact and likely passenger load and should take about seven months.

Railways own estimates had valued the project at around Rs 70,000-80,000 crore.

The work on two bullet train corridors—Mumbai-Ahmedabad and Delhi-Chennai--gathered momentum after the BJP dispensation came to power.

The feasibility study of the 534-km-long Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed corridor project, estimated to cost Rs 63,180 crore and currently being conducted by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), is in an advanced stage.

A team of senior railway officials visited Beijing to take forward the Delhi-Chennai high-speed corridor project, the longest in India.

The 1,754 km-long Delhi-Chennai route is proposed to be developed jointly with China, which is home to the world's longest high-speed rail line between Beijing and Guangzhou.

The Delhi-Chennai route, part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's dream Diamond Quadrilateral project, which aims to build a high-speed train network between different cities, including Delhi-Mumbai, Mumbai-Chennai, Chennai-Kolkata, Kolkata-Delhi and Mumbai-Kolkata, is likely to cost Rs 2 lakh crore.

Govt steps on the gas to speed up Delhi-Chandigarh-Amritsar bullet train project - The Times of India

YES, finally! I have said this before, A-C-D line will be the most economical as expat Punjabis travelling back to the Pind will take these trains and will not hesitate at the cost. We have to land in Delhi to go to Punjab. Most of us take buses or taxis back to Punjab, and trust me we HATE it.

YES, finally! I have said this before, A-C-D line will be the most economical as expat Punjabis travelling back to the Pind will take these trains and will not hesitate at the cost. We have to land in Delhi to go to Punjab. Most of us take buses or taxis back to Punjab, and trust me we HATE it.
Amritsar has an international airport also. When I visit India more often than not I land directly in Amritsar from the UK.

Amritsar has an international airport also. When I visit India more often than not I land directly in Amritsar from the UK.

UK to Amritsar is okay but no one goes from North America to Amritsar. Also, a lot of us have business to conduct in Delhi (family, shopping, etc) before we head to Punjab.

UK to Amritsar is okay but no one goes from North America to Amritsar. Also, a lot of us have business to conduct in Delhi (family, shopping, etc) before we head to Punjab.
Fair enough. We had planned to land in Delhi and go by coach to Amritsar, you can go via a Volvo coach which looked comfortable and cheap too. Of course this High speed rail will be a game changer.

Fair enough. We had planned to land in Delhi and go by coach to Amritsar, you can go via a Volvo coach which looked comfortable and cheap too. Of course this High speed rail will be a game changer.

We went on a coach a little over a decade ago. It was HORRIBLE!!!!! They made us wait 4 hours at midnight at some stand cause the bus had not arrived. Now we have a driver take us to the pind, but it is even more scary. Is it GT road that goes to Punjab? While whatever road it is, it is in terrible condition. Add to that we were in almost fatal crashes 2 times. Once we went on First class AC train, that was also terrible.

We went on a coach a little over a decade ago. It was HORRIBLE!!!!! They made us wait 4 hours at midnight at some stand cause the bus had not arrived. Now we have a driver take us to the pind, but it is even more scary. Is it GT road that goes to Punjab? While whatever road it is, it is in terrible condition. Add to that we were in almost fatal crashes 2 times. Once we went on First class AC train, that was also terrible.
Lol, that was then bro. Last year when we went to Amritsar we had thought about going into Delhi and taking a coach up to Amritsar, something like this:

19112389.cms

volvo-9400px-inside-view-1_560x420.jpg

Pretty ordinary in India these days and would've only cost about 800 rupees per person. Have no ideas about what roads they would have taken but I've been on the expressways/motorways in India and they are fine.

Lol, that was then bro. Last year when we went to Amritsar we had thought about going into Delhi and taking a coach up to Amritsar, something like this:

19112389.cms

volvo-9400px-inside-view-1_560x420.jpg

Pretty ordinary in India these days and would've only cost about 800 rupees per person. Have no ideas about what roads they would have taken but I've been on the expressways/motorways in India and they are fine.

Back then they had these same buses. Trust me it's not the seats that are bad, it's everything else. The stands, the delays, the way they drive, and the noise on Indian roads.

Nah. Maybe it was back when you traveled. Its now an expressway quality highway and in great condition - ie signal free and grade separated.

Can you post pictures? Back then it ran through the cities and was honestly horrible.

Can you post pictures? Back then it ran through the cities and was honestly horrible.
It still runs through cities, but to make travel faster they lane/grade separated the road in cities. So the city traffic does not come onto the Highway.
Its pretty smooth now...and tolled.

Check out skyscraper city mate.

It still runs through cities, but to make travel faster they lane/grade separated the road in cities. So the city traffic does not come onto the Highway.
Its pretty smooth now...and tolled.

Check out skyscraper city mate.

what's it's name so I can look it up?

what's it's name so I can look it up?
Grand Trunk Road
or NH1

You can use either of the ways to go from Delhi to Chandigarh. Takes roughly about 5 hours now between Delhi and Chandigarh. So you can roughly average out a speed of 60kmph.

Plus you would be happy to know that GoI is considering building a greenfield expressway between Delhi and Chandigarh.

Back
Top Bottom