What's new

Govt offers Kayani two-year extension

H2O3C4Nitrogen

Reaction score

Sunday, February 14, 2010

By Absar Alam

ISLAMABAD: The government has asked General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani to accept an extension in his tenure as Chief of Army Staff for another two years. The verbal offer was made to sound out General Kayani whether he would agree to or turn it down.

The move has been made to ensure continuity in Pakistan’s policy on the war on terror and it also has a nod from Washington as the Army has achieved remarkable successes in the war on terror under General Kayani’s command.

General Kayani has not yet given his consent and is considering this offer, it was learnt.

The offer of extension has come at a time when battle lines for a second round have been drawn between the government and the judiciary. It was learnt that the Army has communicated its decision to all stakeholders that it would prefer not to be seen taking sides.

According to the sources, the extension in service cases of Chief of Army Staff General Kayani, Chief of General Staff Lt-Gen Muhammad Mustafa Khan, and DG ISI Lt-Gen Ahmad Shuja Pasha are ready to be sent to the prime minister and the president for approval.

The ministry formed the recommendations on the basis of a consensus that emerged within Pakistan and outside after military’s successes in Swat, South Waziristan and other Fata areas.

Although, the DG ISI has already given his consent to accept the extension, the cases of General Kayani and Lt-Gen Mustafa are still pending. Knowledgeable sources claim that General Mustafa, who retires in October this year, will accept the extension if only General Kayani decided to stay. Washington, which has already given an extension to its Centcom Chief General David Petraeus, has supported this move by Islamabad as it believes that such an extension would ensure continuity in Pakistan’s policy towards the war on terror.

The decision is linked to the resolution of the ongoing confrontation between the judiciary and the government and the constitutional package that would ensure the supremacy of parliament vis-i-vis the president. The problem with Pindi establishment is that Washington is not comfortable with the perception of Zardari government’s governance style which is being equated with the corrupt Karzai administration in Kabul.

“The US is not comfortable working with two corrupt administrations in two neighbouring countries which are at war with terrorists,” the sources said. The sources claimed that the establishment had no axe to grind and was making sincere but quiet efforts to play the role of a firefighter to end the confrontation between the executive and the judiciary.

Even though Kayani has done his job really well, careful consideration is necessary, that he is not pushed beyond retirement age as other Generals are waiting in line too, and their promotions are affected by such moves.

Even though Kayani has done his job really well, careful consideration is necessary, that he is not pushed beyond retirement age as other Generals are waiting in line too, and their promotions are affected by such moves.

Agreed, that is why i believe one year extension would be enough for the time being, let the year pass and then see what next to do.

there is no shortage of capable generals who can replace Kiyani.

But this year a lot of Lt Gens are gonna retire, thus lot of room would be there for promoting competent Maj Gens to the Lt Gen rank.

I guess, Maj Gen Tariq Khan and Maj Gen Awan (Swat Operation Commander) would most probably be promoted as both have extensive expertise in this war by now and are both capable generals.

That's all well and good. But there's just one thing. I didn't believe any government could cause as much damage to Pakistan in 5 years as this one has in just 2. The only thing I can see as stopping them at anything is that the Army is very popular and so is Kayani.

I think sir fatman told me that only one year extensions can be given.
Also on the other hand he can be given a new 3 year term.
Don't know but really confused. Asim has a valid point as well I think he should take a rest so we can get someone fresh into this job.
But if Gen Kiyani has to go will he be able to appoint a new COAS by himself or Our esteemed president has this honour.

Back
Top Bottom