What's new

Govt gives preliminary approval for Rs165.2b Lahore Metro train project

omer Bhai Pti walon ka kawa White he hai inko samjana aur camel ko rikshaw main bithana na mumkin ha
sada kaan safaid ey tauda tay kalaa ey na tusi e sano daso key ey kithay da insaf ey kay sirf lahore wastay 1.5 billion de train chal rai ey tay chotian sheran wich halay tuse ac buses we nae chalaonday

its loan not investment

The money could have been better spent if cities like chakwal,sialkot,rahimyarkhan would get even the green lahore A.C buses but Sharif ka Punjab to Lahore mein he hota hay bus

Ooo Pai don't travel on this metro once it gets completed...the jealousy also most have some limits don't you think??

New Metro Systems:

Addis Abbaba Light Rail Tram (Ethopia) - $ 1.5 Billion
Ho Chi Min City Metro (Vitenam) $ 1.5 Billion
Jakarta Metro - $ 1.78 Billion
Makkah Metro - $ 1. 8 Billon
Bangkok Metro - $ 2.75 Billion
Dhaka Metro - $ 2.8 Billion
Dubai Metro - $ 4.2 Billion
Kuala Lumpur Monorail - $ 4.6 Billion
Riyadh Metro - $ 22 Billion
Doha Metro - $ 36 Billion

Burn PTI trolls :flame:

Are all of these metros 27.1 km? I'm working on one of them so I know that one isn't.

1.5billion$ for a train in the province where 7 million kids are out of school
waah oye shera lakh di lanaat terey soch tay

Meanwhile Rural areas of Sialkot face 16-18 hour long power cuts

i can give a befitting response & that also in Punjabi but if i do,
there will not be any difference between you & me.

Regarding the project,
just like metro bus (green line), this will benefit 1000's of common people.

though i am not fan of ganja but lahore seriously needs metro trains and buses network if we didnt developed it now in future lahore will be same messy like karachi ,, karachi has lost its glory in hands of its own people who are divided among different ethnic groups hope to see such projects in karachi too

1.5billion$ for a train in the province where 7 million kids are out of school
waah oye shera lakh di lanaat terey soch tay

Meanwhile Rural areas of Sialkot face 16-18 hour long power cuts
So u mean Pakistan should end all its projects related to roads, railway, airpirts, sea port, dams, solar and coal power plants, nuclear power plants, colleges, universities, etc etc. As there is low literacy rate.

Bhai wahan chingchi chalay aur lahore mein metro train bhe metro bus bhe aur green ac bus bhe ye kahan ka insaf hay?
Metros are for big cities. Pindi metro is complete. Faisalabad and multan metro projects under way. Rahim yaar khan is very small city, dont compare it with big cities in country.

distances?? for example
Riyadh Metro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riyadh_Metro
The Riyadh metro is a rapid transit system under construction in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It will be the backbone of the city's public transport system integrated with ...
Number of stations: 85
Operation will start: 2019 (planned)
System length: 176 km

Stations are more expensive to build then laying rail tracks and they are sometimes elevated or underground. Do the math. 85 Stations for $22 Billion is more then Lahore's 26 Stations for $1.6 Billion.

Have you worked out the cost per km? What you have mentioned doesn't prove anything.

Are all of these metros 27.1 km? I'm working on one of them so I know that one isn't.

Not all but you can do the math.

Here are some New Metro Systems built or planned with less distances and stations compared to Lahore

Jakarta - 15.7 km (Phase 1) - 13 Stations - $1. 78 Billion
Dhaka - 20.1 km (Phase 1) - 16 Stations - $ 2.8 Billion
Ho Chi Minh City 19 km ( Line 1 ) - 14 Stations - $1.1 Billion
Al Masheer Al Mugaddassah - 18.1 km (Line 1) - 9 Stations - $ 1.8 Billion
Panama - 13.7 km (Line 1) - 12 Stations - $ 1.88 Billion
Bagota - 27 km (Line 1) - 27 Stations - $ 7.35 Billion !

Last edited:
OK here is my take about the Lahore Metro:

Metro Bus – Waste of money

If you read my old posts when the Metro bus was being built, I said, definitely people will benefit from the project. It is the cheapest mean of transport for labour class so a big sigh of relief for daily commute. It’s definitely going to attract hundreds of thousands of people on regular basis and will also be cost effective solution for tourists visiting Lahore from both within Pakistan and foreigners. It is bound to become a success simply because no such project exists in heavily congested city of Lahore.

But the whole project is flawed and initiated for increasing vote bank in Lahore. The priorities were not right as the government wanted to cash publicity neglecting few technical faults with the idea of metro bus. I always believed Metro underground system is the ultimate solution for mega cities such as Karachi and Lahore. These metro buses might be good for smaller city but many cities around the world with a population of over 6 million are building underground subway system including our neighbouring nations of India and Bangladesh. India already has number of operational underground metro projects and I think Delhi Metro should be a template model for us.

I think the amount of 28-100 billion rupees spent on metro bus as claimed by various sources would have been saved and used for Metro train. Imagine the land used for Metro bus could have been used for adding one more additional lane on both directions, vastly improving the congestion on forever-busy Shahdara, Ferozpur Road and Old Lahore etc. The underground system is within the ground so it would not occupy any land on ground.

The only reason I understand for cancelling the original metro train project was that it was inaugurated during the previous government of Q-League under the regime of Parvez Musharraf. I remember it was cancelled citing lack of funds but when Shahbaz Sharif was disqualified by the court and Salman Taseer tookover for few weeks, he revived the same old project saying he failed to understand the reason for slowing the underground project when the money was also available in the previous budget. The project was shelved however after the government was restored and we are now talking about reviving the same project under the banner of N Publicity League.

Lahore Metro

Better late than never, may the time has come, may be Shahbaz Sharif has realised the importance of underground trains in the 21st century. The British built underground system in the 19th century to tackle the growing population of London and we are still trying to explore solutions for smooth flow of traffic in the 21st century.

Metro train is the only solution to move forward for heavily populated Pakistan. It is a very important project and we need such projects in at least Karachi, Lahore and Faisalabad, the economic hubs of Pakistan with minimum population of 7.5 million.

I am not sure about the true numbers but I assume if the daily ridership reaches even just over a million, thousands of vehicles will be taken off road and will also benefit the national exchequer indirectly by saving imported fuel costs and improved road infrastructure. It will also be beneficial for improving traffic inflow, reducing unemployment and may play a positive role in driving the national economy. Despite that, it may still incur losses as is the case for most of the metro train systems around the world but its both direct and indirect benefits are huge and there are some examples of companies making profit from the metro projects so if we play smart, this is going to be the game changer for the city.

About time, a positive development for sure. And for the people complaining about Lahore being given preference.. Obviously the biggest and most economically important city should get preference.

i have my own car
lol

OK .... Glad to know I was under the impression you don't even own the bicycle :undecided:.. If you own a car then This project is not for you...Public transit for common man who will travel the city of Lahore for only 20 rupees.... The real change .!!!

We understand For some reason what you are and who you are the insane reservations Pti have over anything gov does,,,, but it's getting old and I also believe people are getting tried...How about trying something new for the change set examples and work for the people in KPK bcos with this mix crying attitude I can assure you Pti will be crying again in the many elections to come with their usual crying cheated slogans ....!:pakistan:

Stations are more expensive to build then laying rail tracks and they are sometimes elevated or underground. Do the math. 85 Stations for $22 Billion is more then Lahore's 26 Stations for $1.6 Billion.

Not all but you can do the math.

Here are some New Metro Systems built or planned with less distances and stations compared to Lahore

Jakarta - 15.7 km (Phase 1) - 13 Stations - $1. 78 Billion
Dhaka - 20.1 km (Phase 1) - 16 Stations - $ 2.8 Billion
Ho Chi Minh City 19 km ( Line 1 ) - 14 Stations - $1.1 Billion
Al Masheer Al Mugaddassah - 18.1 km (Line 1) - 9 Stations - $ 1.8 Billion
Panama - 13.7 km (Line 1) - 12 Stations - $ 1.88 Billion
Bagota - 27 km (Line 1) - 27 Stations - $ 7.35 Billion !

It depends if listed projects are underground or not.

Back
Top Bottom