What's new

Germany claims India may sign CTBT

Hi and welcome,
Its about CTBT (Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty). If India signs, then it will have to give up testing. Its not too much a big deal, and it does not mean giving up nuclear weapons.
As of now, most testing is done in labs via computer simulation. While the tests that do get carried out are in the nature of "sabre-rattling".

Hey buddy. :cheers:

I'm just wondering if what Abir said here is true:

Benny signing CTBT means destroying all nukes India posses as India is not a declared nuclear nation. This rule is not applicable to the countries which are declared nuclear nations and China is one.

I've tried reading about it, but I haven't seen anything that says signing the CTBT means you have to give up nuclear weapons.

Maybe he's confusing it with the NPT?

i guess we are still waiting to test everything with thorium derivatives? just speculating. we have a lot of thorium right.

No the treaty essentially says that, non-declared nuclear states have to give up their nuclear weapons, there is no exception. If there is an exception for India then it won't be CTBT anymore as CTBT probably was penned keeping India in mind. Please read more about history of this treaty.

Note: All permanent members of security counsel are declared nuclear nations.

You may be right in that. Lets see how it goes since I have less information regarding it.

@ abir

can you provide me a link as to which it says the non nuclear states have to destroy the nukes before sining it.

CTBT as far as i know is a banning of testing treaty.

@ abir

can you provide me a link as to which it says the non nuclear states have to destroy the nukes before sining it.

I mixed it up with NPT.:tongue: CTBT is exactly what you said.

@ abir

It was just a misunderstanding me and Abir had, between the NPT and the CTBT. To clarify:

NPT: States that are not recognized as nuclear states must get rid of their weapons.

CTBT: Just bans nuclear testing, does not require anyone to give up their nukes.

It was just a misunderstanding me and Abir had, between the NPT and the CTBT. To clarify:

NPT: States that are not recognized as nuclear states must get rid of their weapons.

CTBT: Just bans nuclear testing, does not require anyone to give up their nukes.

Yup. Then there is no problem for us.. Just sign the damn papers, get the best of deals and pressurise other non signing ones to sign.

Because there is an important clause in the treaty.

The Treaty includes a Protocol in three parts: Part I details the International Monitoring System (IMS); Part II on On-Site Inspections (OSI); and Part III on Confidence Building Measures.

The Treaty provides for measures to redress a situation and to ensure compliance, including sanctions, and for settlement of disputes. If the Conference or Executive Council determines that a case is of particular gravity, it can bring the issue to the attention of the United Nations.

Can somebody tell me...if at all India signs the treaty, and after some years Pakistan tests a nuclear bomb and if India is forced to test it's nuke and does it,what can be the possible repercussions?

Good question:tup:
Pakistan will sign the treaty coz log before they stated that they will only sign the treaty after India would do so.
Pakistan Nuclear Weapons
Pakistan has not signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) or the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT). According to the Defense Department report cited above, "Pakistan remains steadfast in its refusal to sign the NPT, stating that it would do so only after India joined the Treaty. Consequently, not all of Pakistan's nuclear facilities are under IAEA safeguards. Pakistani officials have stated that signature of the CTBT is in Pakistan's best interest, but that Pakistan will do so only after developing a domestic consensus on the issue, and have disavowed any connection with India's decision."

Hi Abir,
You bowled us a googly there. Even i was wondering if i had missed something.

But India has a method to this "nuclear ambiguity". And it seems to have worked to some extent.
Check out the following. Its a bit dated but does provide some context:
www.columbia.edu/cu/ipsg/ctbt.htm

Benefits are plenty. Even without signing we are getting deals. But with signing we will get the maximum cause a lot of countries has reservations about the non signing factor.

Also it also pressurize other non signed nations to follow the path.

Benny,

Actually it can be said like - even without CTBT we are getting technology and uranium including the most critical technologies like ENR (Enrichment and Re-processing) and the permission to build strategic reserves.

Please elaborate on what additional technologies/benefits we will get in case of signing other than some "kudos" from non-proliferation hawks like NZ,Ireland,Swiss etc.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

No the treaty essentially says that, non-declared nuclear states have to give up their nuclear weapons, there is no exception. If there is an exception for India then it won't be CTBT anymore as CTBT probably was penned keeping India in mind. Please read more about history of this treaty.

Buddy,wasnt NSG formed keeping India in mind.? ;)

U.S and China had signed the treaty but not ratified it

The treaty itself is not ratified in UN General assembly

the other 3 who ratified the deal still dont have a no first use policy

what the need of accepting such discriminatory law.

New Delhi: Germany, a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group, Monday said it was encouraged by signs that India could be willing to sign the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT)...

Lost in translation I would say!

This is the quote in a german news report:

"We want to convince India to join the Non-Proliferation Treaty to approach," he said after talks with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Foreign Minister Somanahalli Mallaiah Krishna on Monday in Delhi. "We encourage them to support the agreement," This would "not supported by all countries," Westerwelle said, referring to India.

But don't take that serious anyway, that's only PR to make him look better. The non permanent seat in the UN is the biggest succsess for this German foreign minister, that's why he take any chance to push himself now in the media.

New Delhi: Germany, a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group, Monday said it was encouraged by signs that India could be willing to sign the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) and sought closer cooperation with India in combating terrorism.

Non-proliferation and disarmament were among global issues that were discussed between External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and his German counterpart Guido Westerwelle.

Germany claims India may sign CTBT

germany relating cooperation with India in combating terrorism with signing CTBT..

absolutly rediculus !

Back
Top Bottom