What's new

Genshin Impact becomes top grossing game worldwide in Oct: Sensor Tower

CHN Bamboo

Reaction score
Country
China

Genshin Impact launched on September 28, and it secured around $60 million within just the first week of its launch, and almost $250 in its first month.

Genshin Impact
Genshin Impact (Sensor Tower)

New entrant Genshin Impact from miHoYo was the top grossing mobile game in October. Genshin Impact garnered almost $239 million in player spending, according to the latest data from Sensor Tower. The role-playing game (RPG) managed to beat long-time popular titles Honor of Kings and PUBG Mobile.

Genshin Impact launched on September 28 for iOS, Android, PS4 and Windows. It secured around $60 million within just the first week of its launch, and almost $250 in its first month. Around 31% of the game’s total spending comes from players in China, 24.5% from Japan and 13% from the US. Genshin Impact is also touted as the biggest RPG launch in the US where it garnered $45 million during its first month.

Sensor Tower highlighted how Genshin Impact is another example of Chinese players making it big globally too, and not just in their home turf. Genshin Impact topped the Google Play revenue but it stood third in Apple’s App Store. Honor of Kings and PUBG Mobile (Game for Peace) are still the most popular games in China’s App Store, and in Japan too where the game ranks 4th. It’s still incredible for a game that’s been around for a little over a month.

Sensor Tower ranking for top grossing gamesSensor Tower ranking for top grossing games (Sensor Tower)

Following Genshin Impact is Tencent’s Honor of Kings with $225 million in gross revenue. PUBG Mobile ranked third, followed by Pokemon Go and Coin Master.

Sensor Tower also highlighted the launch of Moonlight Blade from Tencent. Even with a release on October 15, this game managed to enter the top ten spot with a revenue of around $86 million in just two weeks. Moonlight Blade is also available only in China.

Genshin Impact rakes in US$245 million in first month, ending Tencent’s stranglehold on mobile games

Reaction of other game manufacturers in China

This game caught my eyes recently. I have it installed on my tab but no time yet to try it out.

A few things to note:

- Game cost $100 million dollars to make. That's like lots of $$$ thrown into making this game.
- Game can be played on PC/PS4/mobile. Users from different platforms/devices can interact with each other. (I never came across such mobile games before).
- Need Android 8+ device to install. (Google Playstore will not show u the game to install if you have older Android OS).

The art and music is superb, I can't believe I'm playing it for free.

@CHN Bamboo

I see that your avatar are characters from the game lol. You got them?

IGN gave this game a score of 9/10. Also, if you read the comments on IGN, most ppl said this was the least Pay2win game they'd come across:

https://www.ign.com/articles/genshin-impact-review

I wonder how this game gonna do vs League of Legends: Wild Rift. Those two probably the biggest new game titles going to head butt each other on the revenues chart...

Should be Chicom fanboy J-20 to make all buyers across asia line Chicom Type 55 and so as to instill pride in the Chicom propaganda right? Make happy Chicom family values.
Mutt, voice! You're a pedophile weeb, that's why you came to Japan from the USA?

Looks like lame *** Jap rubbish.

Chinese animation needs a style of their own and be less influenced by Jap pedophile art style.

whats even more cringier is the adoption of Jap girl cutesy voice, it's embarrassing and soul destroying.

Hopefully Chinese games industry improve beyond the mobile platform and even consider a domestic console with indigenous tech and games studios.
I've stopped playing games on my phone a few years ago, now I even rarely play on my computer, and I used to play a lot. I think people change lol. However, I am waiting for this new Wukong game.

Genshin Impact launched on September 28, and it secured around $60 million within just the first week of its launch, and almost $250 in its first month.

Genshin Impact
Genshin Impact (Sensor Tower)

New entrant Genshin Impact from miHoYo was the top grossing mobile game in October. Genshin Impact garnered almost $239 million in player spending, according to the latest data from Sensor Tower. The role-playing game (RPG) managed to beat long-time popular titles Honor of Kings and PUBG Mobile.

Genshin Impact launched on September 28 for iOS, Android, PS4 and Windows. It secured around $60 million within just the first week of its launch, and almost $250 in its first month. Around 31% of the game’s total spending comes from players in China, 24.5% from Japan and 13% from the US. Genshin Impact is also touted as the biggest RPG launch in the US where it garnered $45 million during its first month.

Sensor Tower highlighted how Genshin Impact is another example of Chinese players making it big globally too, and not just in their home turf. Genshin Impact topped the Google Play revenue but it stood third in Apple’s App Store. Honor of Kings and PUBG Mobile (Game for Peace) are still the most popular games in China’s App Store, and in Japan too where the game ranks 4th. It’s still incredible for a game that’s been around for a little over a month.

Sensor Tower ranking for top grossing gamesSensor Tower ranking for top grossing games (Sensor Tower)

Following Genshin Impact is Tencent’s Honor of Kings with $225 million in gross revenue. PUBG Mobile ranked third, followed by Pokemon Go and Coin Master.

Sensor Tower also highlighted the launch of Moonlight Blade from Tencent. Even with a release on October 15, this game managed to enter the top ten spot with a revenue of around $86 million in just two weeks. Moonlight Blade is also available only in China.

Genshin Impact rakes in US$245 million in first month, ending Tencent’s stranglehold on mobile games

Reaction of other game manufacturers in China
Genshin Impact is making some mistakes. If it goes on using the current model, it will fail in a few months.
1. Too greedy and over reliant on gacha monetization.
2. Content too slow despite having access to China level workforce.
3. Lack of side contents and resorting heavily on progress wall by using energy system.

Genshin Impact is making some mistakes. If it goes on using the current model, it will fail in a few months.
1. Too greedy and over reliant on gacha monetization.
2. Content too slow despite having access to China level workforce.
3. Lack of side contents and resorting heavily on progress wall by using energy system.

I disagree. The only way to failure is if there is something better to replace it. It's got the unique gameplay style where u have to switch between characters to complete a task. There isn't any competition in this genre/niche atm. Maybe when another game comes out that gives a similar gameplay experience, then maybe Mihoyo can start to worry..

I disagree. The only way to failure is if there is something better to replace it. It's got the unique gameplay style where u have to switch between characters to complete a task. There isn't any competition in this genre/niche atm. Maybe when another game comes out that gives a similar gameplay experience, then maybe Mihoyo can start to worry..
To me is a switching character are just gimmicks for an already existing genre(Zelda: Breath of the wind). The reason there isn't a competition is because it is free to play. But most free to play game have life span of less than a year. The most well manage for free to play i would say is Path of Exile, no gacha mechanics, no artificial progress wall, and long longevity for each patch.

The art and music is superb, I can't believe I'm playing it for free.

It is just nominally a free game, in fact, many players will pay for their favorite characters.

所以这类游戏的营收反而会比纯粹的买断制游戏高。 🧐

I see that your avatar are characters from the game lol. You got them?

Only Xingqiu. He is a nice support.

我现在的主力队伍是行秋、公子、香菱和岩主,挺好用的。行秋给boss挂水元素能力比五星的公子强多了。
后悔抽公子了,他真是太难用了。:(

To me is a switching character are just gimmicks for an already existing genre(Zelda: Breath of the wind).

Ever heard of Honkai Impact 3rd? Mihoyo used such mechanics years ago.

原神能够切换角色只是沿袭了米哈游旧的机制。当然,其他方面据说有抄袭塞尔达,但就切换角色这点… 玩过honkai的都不会说,要知道honkai是2016年发行的。

Genshin is a good start. Our game industry needs more competition.

I'm so glad that Mihoyo break the monopoly of Tencent and NetEase.
Hope Tencent & NetEase can learn something from the success of Mihoyo. Improve the quality of game, not just think about KPI.

Last edited:
It is just nominally a free game, in fact, many players will pay for their favorite characters.

所以这类游戏的营收反而会比纯粹的买断制游戏高。 🧐

I have a high discipline in buying in-game items, but I don't mind buying a monthly card in the future to show some appreciation for the effort they put into the game. :bounce:

我现在的主力队伍是行秋、公子、香菱和岩主,挺好用的。行秋给boss挂水元素能力比五星的公子强多了。

挂水芭芭拉也很不错。平A也能挂水,但有点内鬼。

女主或许是我这游戏唯一的满命五星角色了。。。

后悔抽公子了,他真是太难用了。:(

本来说要存原石抽公子钟离的,但香菱后期太刮痧,现在要练一个五星主C,而也听说公子钟离不大适合做平民主C。

所以手痒去抽可莉池,结果歪了一个刮痧女王刻晴。🙃

不管了,至少我大保底以后可以留给神里绫华。🙈

Mutt, voice! You're a pedophile weeb, that's why you came to Japan from the USA?

I don't care for that art style. I haven't played a video/computer game in 5 years.

Let's not pretend that the PRC does not have larger male to female population due to 1 birth policy. The sex doll market PRC is quite big too because of that. So the PRC is going to have a market for this art style.

In addition to that, doesn't matter what country, some young men in the modern world just suck at finding a mate. So economic forces try taking advantage of that. That's all.

So if PRC game conpanies want to venture abroad with their product, they'll want to grab a slice of that existing niche abroad including Japan's share. If you think a Chicom glory theme game is going to capture a market share, think again.

Last edited:

I only reciprocated.

Chinese animation needs a style of their own and be less influenced by Jap pedophile art style.

whats even more cringier is the adoption of Jap girl cutesy voice, it's embarrassing and soul destroying.

Hopefully Chinese games industry improve beyond the mobile platform and even consider a domestic console with indigenous tech and games studios.

Reported.

Ahahaha..... you got me laughing so hard :rofl:
Well, you might have a point. However I think China has already been infected by that culture model from Japan and S.Korea , so there is little you or even the Chinese governement can do to change this. People will like what they want to like , you can force people to like something they don't like. So this culture will.keep being prominent in China and so it's only normal for companies to tap into this huge market to be able to better market their products. So I don't see why you are angry/taking it on this companies, it's not their fault , they are just tapping into an already existing market. So you can't really blame them. Lol.
China will need to redefine itself, what it stands for and it's culture(which was extensively damaged/destroyed by Mao's cultural revolution)to be able to change this narrative. A very tough task to achieve to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom