What's new

General Beg demands right for PAF to shoot down ISAF copters, drones

air marshal

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
General Beg demands right for Pakistan Air Force to shoot down ISAF copters, drones
September 29, 2010

Former Pakistani army chief, General Mirza Aslam Beg, has criticised the government for involving Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani in the conflict between the executive and the judiciary, and also demanded that the Pakistan Air Force should be given the task to shoot down ISAF helicopters and drones involved in attacks in the county's territories.

The Nation quoted Gen Beg as saying that the army chief was not supposed to be part of the statement issued after the meeting.

"This was a prohibited area for him. The president and the prime minister had involved the army chief in a matter from which he was supposed to keep away," he added.

Referring to the implementation of the Supreme Court's verdict on the National Reconciliation Ordinance as a matter between the judiciary and the government, he added: "The government has set a very bad precedent - in fact done a disservice by sucking in the army chief in a field which was not his domain".

He said it appeared that the government was trying to make the army a party to the dispute.

Gen Beg further said that the meeting that took place on Monday had quite different implications as it took place on a day when the Supreme Court was hearing a case of the government's failure in an attempt to urge the Swiss authorities to re-open President Asif Ali Zardari's money laundering case.

The case was earlier closed on the basis of an unauthorised communication sent by the previous government.

Source: ANI

General Beg demands right for Pakistan Air Force to shoot down ISAF copters, drones
September 29, 2010

Former Pakistani army chief, General Mirza Aslam Beg, has criticised the government for involving Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani in the conflict between the executive and the judiciary, and also demanded that the Pakistan Air Force should be given the task to shoot down ISAF helicopters and drones involved in attacks in the county's territories.

The Nation quoted Gen Beg as saying that the army chief was not supposed to be part of the statement issued after the meeting.

"This was a prohibited area for him. The president and the prime minister had involved the army chief in a matter from which he was supposed to keep away," he added.

Referring to the implementation of the Supreme Court's verdict on the National Reconciliation Ordinance as a matter between the judiciary and the government, he added: "The government has set a very bad precedent - in fact done a disservice by sucking in the army chief in a field which was not his domain".

He said it appeared that the government was trying to make the army a party to the dispute.

Gen Beg further said that the meeting that took place on Monday had quite different implications as it took place on a day when the Supreme Court was hearing a case of the government's failure in an attempt to urge the Swiss authorities to re-open President Asif Ali Zardari's money laundering case.

The case was earlier closed on the basis of an unauthorised communication sent by the previous government.

Source: ANI

exactly what I was saying in the thread on this issue. Not Army's mandate to get into politics

Do it.

3 days of slaughter of Pakistanis and probably will happen again tomorrow, put an end to this American aggression or else they will be bombing Islamabad an year from now.

Asim

Both you and I know that Pakistani military will not attack NATO assets overtly.. Unless they really start bombing Islamabad, or Lahore or some other power center (which they will never)

Do it.

3 days of slaughter of Pakistanis and probably will happen again tomorrow, put an end to this American aggression or else they will be bombing Islamabad an year from now.

What America is doing is a type of secret planning between Pakistain and US governments,Many top al qaeda leaders have been killed in these attacks,before yesterday only one more commander was killed.if your anger is about civilian casualties?indeed there are but,it's fact of war,Where ever war is going on,there will be civilian casualties e.g:iraq,iran,swat,WW I & II.........

Yes although many al qaeda leaders have been killed which is good and civilians also have been killed which is not ideal but what angers Pakistan more is that it is the U.S that is bombing their country. If it was Pakistan army it self there would not be a reaction this strong. what the U.S should do is tell the Pakistan military about the targets and other information and hope that the Pakistan military takes them out themselves.

Yes although many al qaeda leaders have been killed which is good and civilians also have been killed which is not ideal but what angers Pakistan more is that it is the U.S that is bombing their country. If it was Pakistan army it self there would not be a reaction this strong. what the U.S should do is tell the Pakistan military about the targets and other information and hope that the Pakistan military takes them out themselves.

good point!
and thats why we need drones as soon as possibe!

Do it.

Why the heck would you wanna do that?? overtly hit the Americans so the world at large which already hates our guts can find more reasons to cut us out of everything??

Best way to get the message across is to pay off an Afghan to do the dirty work.. blow up a few troops or contractors.. and leave a signature..but no trail.

Why the heck would you wanna do that?? overtly hit the Americans so the world at large which already hates our guts can find more reasons to cut us out of everything??

Best way to get the message across is to pay off an Afghan to do the dirty work.. blow up a few troops or contractors.. and leave a signature..but no trail.

But isnt that the reputation you are trying to get rid of. I find it strange that the urge to use non state actors / covert means is so engrained within Pakistan. And then one wonders why the world has a negative opinion ...

But isnt that the reputation you are trying to get rid of. I find it strange that the urge to use non state actors / covert means is so engrained within Pakistan. And then one wonders why the world has a negative opinion ...
What state doesn't use non-state actors to help themselves? US has the Northern Alliance and before, the Taliban, India supported LTTE and Baloch insurgents, etc.

reputation and capability are two different things.

it is always good to keep practising capability.

But coming back to the topic, I am surprised what right Gen Beg has to make this statement ?

Now, I am no fan of this guy, and I always believed he has some connections with the people who he shouldn't have.

For all practical concerns he is a retired COAS and had nothing to do with politics ( at least actively).

So, one does need to question or try and understand the motive and timing of his effort.

it will be better if you can look to improve on yurs insted to worring about ours!

i have heared about somthing called RAW working at your side, perhaps the only intelligency with terrorism as a basic subject of course!!

unnluckly for the world, its not a DRDO project otherwise i would have been dead by now

What state doesn't use non-state actors to help themselves? US has the Northern Alliance and before, the Taliban, India supported LTTE and Baloch insurgents, etc.

An every day citizen of USA on 1st provocation does not demand non state actors to be sent to blow up troops and civilians of another country.

Its not that Pakistan uses covert means (which every country does), but the inclination of every day citizen of Pakistan to treat insurgency as a strategic asset to be proud of.

Back
Top Bottom