What's new

Featured Free speech has limits, Canada's Trudeau says

I would love to see Trudeau taking action against anyone who attempt to show cartoons in Canada. The thing is he can't. Though he wouldnt dare to show it in schools like Macron said. One or two terrorist attacks here and Trudeau would be forced to change his stance. I hope no Isis attacks take place here though. Or anywhere else for that matter.
But why would you do such stupid acts?
The results of which will surely lead to carnage. Why offend someone? A whole people a whole religion?
Free speech has been hijacked

It's not that. Whether people like it or not Islamophobia is here to stay till something more important or frightening replaces it. Canada has immigration cos the people are supportive of it. People who had bought real estate in 2000's are loving immigration. And as it is a small population state like Canada needs immigration to drive it's growth. Or else it risks growing very slow.
True, and I agree, though, i don't know how this contradicts what I'm saying.

The French politics is basically left. The Quebecians aren't much far behind. When Macron is forced to make such statements to take on after suffering 200 Isis death over 5 years, Conservatives will pounce on Liberals and NDP if they are seen as too soft if some attacks do take place. World over politics is going right winger. Some are saying Trudeau is laying the steps for someone like Trump to rule Canada in the next 15 years.
I am not an expert in Canadian politics though. Just been here for 5 years. But learning their tricks of trade.
I wouldn't say that France is left wing, nor would i say that about Quebec either. In fact, especially in the case of Quebec, I would say the french are very right wing. They claim to push secular values, but the laws they use to suppress religion in public, almost always has no affect on Christian's, but rather almost always ends up affecting non-Christians.

The only thing left about them is their supportive attitude towards unions. In terms of immigration, in terms of economics, in terms of social values, and in terms of separation between religion and state (no matter how much they deny this last one they're socially conservative.

Like I've said before, Canada has suffered terror attacks in the past, and even our conservatives were generally about unity. Perhaps, it's because Canada has also suffered extremely deadly attacks by fascists and white supremacists that Trudeau can be far more nuanced.

On a side note, I'm glad people are being largely respectful in this thread. This is a discussion that needs to happen in a civil manner.

As bad as our conservative right wingers are, they aren't as bad as other countries.

Doug Ford is a right wing conservative, he won Ontario because immigrants love him. I hate him, but I would never call him racist.

Social conservatives are ridiculed by Canadians, and they lost the last general elections precisely because of their racist behavior. As it is, there is little chance they'll come to power, at least not in any meaningful way to cause trouble.

Good to know you Canucks up north have a balanced political landscape :nhl_checking:(didn’t see a Canadian flag so a hockey icon was the closest thing)

Last edited:
But why would you do such stupid acts?
The results of which will surely lead to carnage. Why offend someone? A whole people a whole religion?
Free speech has been hijacked

Well that's what people want. Provoke and see reactions and say "We told you so". It's a pity that Muslims fall easily into the trap. The religion or prophet don't require ordinary people's protest or carnage to protect them. If no publicity was given to Charlie Hebdo thing, they wouldn't even have gotten famous in the first place.

The South African apartheid state didn't stop being fascist because the suddenly started caring about Black South Africans, it's because they were threatened with economic sanctions.
for same reasons pakistan is still in FATF grey list?

Kangana disagrees.
Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut took to her Twitter handle to voice her opinion as Canada PM Justin Trudeau defends free speech. Her tweets went on to read, “Dear Justin,we don’t live in an ideal world,people mustn’t but everyday they are breaking signal,doing drugs,molesting others,hurting sentiments.If every petty crime’s punishment is beheading each other then why we need a Prime Minister or any law n order?
She then went on to add, “Anybody makes cartoons on Ram, Krishan, Maa Durga or any God for that matter Allah, Christ, must be punished if they do it at work place or social media suspend them, if they disrespect openly send them to jail for 6 months, that’s all, people have a right to be atheist... cont.”
She'd better watch her back.

Kangana disagrees.
Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut took to her Twitter handle to voice her opinion as Canada PM Justin Trudeau defends free speech. Her tweets went on to read, “Dear Justin,we don’t live in an ideal world,people mustn’t but everyday they are breaking signal,doing drugs,molesting others,hurting sentiments.If every petty crime’s punishment is beheading each other then why we need a Prime Minister or any law n order?
She then went on to add, “Anybody makes cartoons on Ram, Krishan, Maa Durga or any God for that matter Allah, Christ, must be punished if they do it at work place or social media suspend them, if they disrespect openly send them to jail for 6 months, that’s all, people have a right to be atheist... cont.”
She'd better watch her back.
Who cares? Some bollywood nobody, who I've never heard about, has an opinion. So what?

I want to add, boycotts are far more powerful than moronic terror attacks. To government's, people are just numbers and statistics. Hurt their wallet, and then you'll see a response.

This is why the french boycott was working so well. This is why murder has almost never worked to dissuade racist behavior.

The South African apartheid state didn't stop being fascist because the suddenly started caring about Black South Africans, it's because they were threatened with economic sanctions.

I mean, you can say the n word in the US, it's just that if you aren't black, you'll probably get slapped or punched across the face.

The rest, I agree with.

That is one thing I have noticed, more than UK, the American blacks always calls each other "Nigga" . Why do they disrespect themselves is beyond me!!

That magazine is not out to “arbitrarily and needlessly hurt” anyone to begin with.

Muslims could just have protested or dragged them to court and sued them, wrote opinion pieces explaining their take on the cartoons and how they're offended.

Murder, gruesome beheadings, killing old ladies at a church... not good.

Fact of the matter is he's right. In US you can't say 'N word'. In France you can't talk about holocaust denial. In India you can't ask question military accomplishments or Modi-ji. All are shining examples of democracies.
Sadly agree with your last point.

Every community has certain red lines which are sensitive in nature and it is up to the state to define the limits of free speech in a manner which balances both. Any aggressive tilt in one direction always leads to mass protests.

Might I also remind you that Pakistan also belongs to the commity of democratic nations and the points you've raised also ring true for it. Glass houses and all.

Quebec stabbing: Two dead after attack by man in medieval clothes
Published3 minutes ago
Quebec Parliament Building
IMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
image captionThe incident took place near the Parliament Building in the Old Quebec neighbourhood
At least two people have been stabbed to death in the Canadian city of Quebec by a man armed with a sword and dressed in medieval clothing, police say.
Five other people were wounded. A man in his mid-20s was arrested shortly before 01:00 local time (05:00 GMT), officers said.
Police have advised residents to stay inside with doors locked as an investigation is under way.
The attack took place in the historic Old Quebec neighbourhood.
First reports of the incident near Parliament Hill came through shortly before 22:30 local time.
After his arrest near the Espace 400e business park, the man was taken to hospital."

While I agree free speech has limits, blasphemy is an important part of that free speech if you take the history of France and the French Revolution also in the separation of Church and state, They repealed such laws in the 17th century and allowed the freedom of the press. So expect such push backs.
So if you push blasphemy laws to Europe, expect a huge push back.

The comparison to the Holocaust is illogical, Holocaust is one of the dark histories of Europe where Jews were ethnically cleansed from many European states with graphic evidence to prove it. Denying it is something that the Nazis advocated where they try to purge any pieces of evidence when the war ended and it is part of the recent history with many surviving victims.

In the future, many states will decriminalize these laws too.

While I agree free speech has limits, blasphemy is an important part of that free speech if you take the history of France and the French Revolution also in the separation of Church and state, They repealed such laws in the 17th century and allowed the freedom of the press. So expect such push backs.
So if you push blasphemy laws to Europe, expect a huge push back.

The comparison to the Holocaust is illogical, Holocaust is one of the dark histories of Europe where Jews were ethnically cleansed from many European states with graphic evidence to prove it. Denying it is something that the Nazis advocated where they try to purge any pieces of evidence when the war ended and it is part of the recent history with many surviving victims.

In the future, many states will decriminalize these laws too.
They have laws against holocaust denial. A belief of jews on religious prosecution.

History? What about the bloody present where Gazans are living in the worlds largest prison.

1604223012844.png

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom