What's new

Four MMRCA contenders fail Leh trials

The primary aim of the IAF is to diversify away from Russian platforms. The Mig 35 is probably the least favoured candidate for this contract. I personally would prefer a combination of the Gripen and the SH. That would probably make the most sense but there are always politics involved and Sweden is not a big hitter. Replacing the Mig 21's with a double engined aircraft alone would be stupid and prohibitively expensive.

BTW, forget the aircrafts that failed, I would like to know which one did not.

The primary aim that u are referring is correct.India wants western planes with superior technology(not wrt to russia but western standards) not only in 4th generation craft but also as a stepping stone for its MCA programme as a counterbalance to its reliance on russia for pak-fa, fgfa programme

This was very much expected as the atmosphere in Leh is very different from rest of the world and the aircraft in the MRCA are from countries which do not have such high altitude regions to field them.

But none of the aircraft would be disqualified on this test. The manufacturers would be asked to beef up their engines and take care of these problems.

Lets see what happens. This wait is killing me. :lol:

Replacing the Mig 21's with a double engined aircraft alone would be stupid and prohibitively expensive.

Well, MRCA has evolved from a light aircraft competition to a medium class now. Its no longer a replacement for MiG-21. 126 aircraft can never replace the 300 or so Mig-21s. These will be the strike aircraft for IAF. The replacement for Mig-21 would be LCA Tejas that would be inducted in 250-400 numbers to make up for the huge number of Mig-21s retiring in the coming years.

So selecting a double engine aircraft would be my preference.

We already have Tejas for interceptor roles and light combat.

IAF is talking about the high-end stuff right now. Su30, Mirage-2K, MRCA, Pak Fa, MCA are all gonna be high-end. :sniper:

The only low-end would be Tejas and that would be inducted in huge numbers.:smitten:

what types!!! any guesses???
my guess its not the F-16IN

PAF F-16's routinely fly / land from Gilget / Skardu air-strips.

sirji, all aircraft can fly at high altitude but flying with full load is very important. isn't it?

Does pak F-16 can fly with full load at those bases? how much those area are above sea level?

i just hope RAFALE and GRIPEN is not in that list....

sirji, all aircraft can fly at high altitude but flying with full load is very important. isn't it?

Does pak F-16 can fly with full load at those bases? how much those area are above sea level?

Though I am unhappy to write this but F-16 is pretty good at these altitudes.As russians have learnt from India so have americans from pakistan, but dont tell this to chinese- J-XX cant reach leh even without payload.Its all crappy stuff. They are also relying on russians to provide them with the engines to perform the same role as an answer to our MMRCA. This is russia's leverage over us."Give us the
MMRCA or china will have its engines from us".

Last edited:
Though I am unhappy to write this but F-16 is pretty good at these altitudes.As russians have learnt from India so have americans from pakistan, but dont tell this to chinese- J-XX cant reach leh even without payload.Its all crappy stuff. They are also relying on russians to provide them with the engines to perform the same role as an answer to our MMRCA. This is russia's leverageover us."Give us the

yup, I know. They got huge number of aircraft against India but equation changes at our leh border/high altitude regions.

Though I am unhappy to write this but F-16 is pretty good at these altitudes.As russians have learnt from India so have americans from pakistan, but dont tell this to chinese- J-XX cant reach leh even without payload.Its all crappy stuff. They are also relying on russians to provide them with the engines to perform the same role as an answer to our MMRCA. This is russia's leverageover us."Give us the

I don't understand, how come Chinese JXX found its way into this discussion?? If you want to bash them at least do that on relevant grounds.

BTW your knowledge about JXX is good as nothing. And They wont be using Russian engines in it. Update yourself with relevant data, and then do what you are here for.

:pakistan:

Adios

Well, MRCA has evolved from a light aircraft competition to a medium class now. Its no longer a replacement for MiG-21. 126 aircraft can never replace the 300 or so Mig-21s. These will be the strike aircraft for IAF. The replacement for Mig-21 would be LCA Tejas that would be inducted in 250-400 numbers to make up for the huge number of Mig-21s retiring in the coming years.

So selecting a double engine aircraft would be my preference.

We already have Tejas for interceptor roles and light combat.

IAF is talking about the high-end stuff right now. Su30, Mirage-2K, MRCA, Pak Fa, MCA are all gonna be high-end. :sniper:

The only low-end would be Tejas and that would be inducted in huge numbers.:smitten:
Everything is perfect expect for LCA as interceptor.. I highly doubt it..

My take is that leaving Rafale and Gripen ( which hasn't been tested yet), all other failed Leh test. Now Rafale possibility comes from very 1999 kargill war Mirage performance for which MMRCA deal was floated. But MoD stopped the deal of acquiring 126 mirage and asked IAF to let it be competition between various vendors.

Keep in mind, IAF needs an aircraft which has exceptional A2G capabilities like Mirage and high altitude full load capability. Now don't jump ahead of me, we are not aware of IAF performance parameters and passing scores. So belittling or undermining Pakistan's F-16 is not correct.

My take is that leaving Rafale and Gripen ( which hasn't been tested yet), all other failed Leh test. Now Rafale possibility comes from very 1999 kargill war Mirage performance for which MMRCA deal was floated. But MoD stopped the deal of acquiring 126 mirage and asked IAF to let it be competition between various vendors.

Keep in mind, IAF needs an aircraft which has exceptional A2G capabilities like Mirage and high altitude full load capability. Now don't jump ahead of me, we are not aware of IAF performance parameters and passing scores. So belittling or undermining Pakistan's F-16 is not correct.

Who is belittling or undermining F-16 or something wrong with u

thats brings in my mind as Rafale & EF, though Rafale has not got the loading capability of a EF

will be interesting to know which contenders failed, rumors are saying that both American birds have failed at Leh Airfield

i just hope RAFALE and GRIPEN is not in that list....

You just read my mind:D

Rafale with AESA is hell of a platform. However, I am not sure about its ground offensive capabilities.

Remember, Sweden chose Gripen over F-16, F-18.

Most importantly, both RAFALE and Gripen have a huge potential to have a carrier-based variant.

Back
Top Bottom