What's new

Four MMRCA contenders fail Leh trials

Choppers

Reaction score
Country
India
LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: Four MMRCA Contenders Fail Leh Trials!

It's the latest tidbit on India's $12-billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) competition that's doing the rounds (and it was first reported by The Hindu on Tuesday). Four of the contenders that underwent cold-weather evaluation trials at Leh didn't meet performance requirements. OK, major understatement. Four of the contenders bit dust in Leh. Read that again: four aircraft. That's huge. It's still unclear which part of the Leh test the four aircraft types failed at, though it is quite clear that it was either the switch off/on after landing, or the take-off with meaningful combat load at that altitude. The only thing that appears true is that four aircraft failed the trial -- it is totally anyone's guess which these are. Any want to hazard a try?

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: Four MMRCA Contenders Fail Leh Trials!

It's the latest tidbit on India's $12-billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) competition that's doing the rounds (and it was first reported by The Hindu on Tuesday). Four of the contenders that underwent cold-weather evaluation trials at Leh didn't meet performance requirements. OK, major understatement. Four of the contenders bit dust in Leh. Read that again: four aircraft. That's huge. It's still unclear which part of the Leh test the four aircraft types failed at, though it is quite clear that it was either the switch off/on after landing, or the take-off with meaningful combat load at that altitude. The only thing that appears true is that four aircraft failed the trial -- it is totally anyone's guess which these are. Any want to hazard a try?

what types!!! any guesses???
my guess its not the F-16IN

PAF F-16's routinely fly / land from Gilget / Skardu air-strips.

I only hope that MIG 35 is not in that list, I would really love this aircraft in our Airforce, look at this Beast...

d90fb98a1a1c788101f44aee7ccac72e.jpg

@lca tejas . .is mig-35 engines black smoking?

Last edited:
Shouldn't russian aircraft be reliable in cold weather? I mean it being russia unless there are manufacturing discrepancies.

I only hope that MIG 35 is not in that list, I would really love this aircraft in our Airforce, look at this Beast...

d90fb98a1a1c788101f44aee7ccac72e.jpg

Dont worry mig35 is not going in that list, its a souped up version of su30mki, and we know su30mki will face no problems. Russia has a pretty good handle on our requirements and unlikely to goof up

Shouldn't russian aircraft be reliable in cold weather? I mean it being russia unless there are manufacturing discrepancies.

Problem in leh is not cold weather but altitude/higly rarified air.Most countries participating are cold weather countries but have not the same altitude that leh has.Having said that russia's mig will have no problem as I stated above.

Dont worry mig35 is not going in that list, its a souped up version of su30mki, and we know su30mki will face no problems. Russia has a pretty good handle on our requirements and unlikely to goof up

Yeah, Russian Products are more suitable for India..... I would love to have Either euro fighter typhoon or Mig 35 in our airforce, or both...

All we need is Eurofigher typhoon and Su MKI

3c9b1396077320e766bf7ed0494b84db.jpg

and ofcourse the MIG 35

Yeah, Russian Products are more suitable for India.....

The primary aim of the IAF is to diversify away from Russian platforms. The Mig 35 is probably the least favoured candidate for this contract. I personally would prefer a combination of the Gripen and the SH. That would probably make the most sense but there are always politics involved and Sweden is not a big hitter. Replacing the Mig 21's with a double engined aircraft alone would be stupid and prohibitively expensive.

BTW, forget the aircrafts that failed, I would like to know which one did not.

Back
Top Bottom