What's new

Fotros - new strategic drone

I never understood such type of industrial activities carried out by Iran. What's the purpose of developing two-three similar type of drones/missiles/...with English caution !!! stickers on them, having almost similar performance parameters? It is something like developing M1A1 Abram and Leopard tanks simultaneously but I think Such behaviors just serve to show off industrial strength propaganda instead of meeting the requirements of your armed forces...
It is because there are parellal organization in iran that are working on the same types of projects, for example S-129 was built by Shahed industries(which belongs to IRGC) and will serve in IRGC, Fotros was built in IAIO and HESA(which belongs to MOD) and will serve in IRIAF.

Another example is Raad ADS which is built by IRGC and Talash(Sayyad-2) ADS which will be built by MOD and will serve in IRIADF.

It is because there are parellal organization in iran that are working on the same types of projects, for example S-129 was built by Shahed industries(which belongs to IRGC) and will serve in IRGC, Fotros was built in IAIO and HESA(which belongs to MOD) and will serve in IRIAF.

Another example is Raad ADS which is built by IRGC and Talash(Sayyad-2) ADS which will be built by MOD and will serve in IRIADF.

Interesting, Iran doesn't have a civil procurement agency like Turkey's SSM, S. Korean DARPA which organize roadways, industrial plans, technological advancements strategies and projects based on Armed forces' requirements ?

You mean Iranian industry works directly with Armed Forces and In accordance with budgets seperated by government, Armed Forces funding defence programs ?

Where is that jealous Israeli girl.. I am waiting to see her expected remarks as "fake", "model", "won't-fly", and when she is helpless and cannot deny, she finally says "haha, it took you 2013 years to make this drone".

But on positive note, Congratulations Iran. Love your stability and strength - always. 
Nice Heron mock up.

Oh here you go, I just posted a comment in the forum expecting what you are going to say and you bet how accurate I have been :D Your frustration with every Iranian development is so predictable that it is going to be a joke from now on.

Well if Mock-ups are keeping Israel at bay.. guess what would happen when you realize they are not mock-ups anymore? :)

I never understood such type of industrial activities carried out by Iran. What's the purpose of developing two-three similar type of drones/missiles/...with English caution !!! stickers on them, having almost similar performance parameters? It is something like developing M1A1 Abram and Leopard tanks simultaneously but I think Such behaviors just serve to show off industrial strength propaganda instead of meeting the requirements of your armed forces...
also shahed 129 doesn't have that nub on his head.

defense minister in the video said same day on the next year we will unveil a drone that only 2 other countries have them!!!

MTN1917 said what I wanted to say, but I should add that you see such parallel projects in Israel too. For example there are UAVs built by IAI and Elbit in similar class, like Hermes and Heron UAVs.

Interesting, Iran doesn't have a civil procurement agency like Turkey's SSM, S. Korean DARPA which organize roadways, industrial plans, technological advancements strategies and projects based on Armed forces' requirements ?

You mean Iranian industry works directly with Armed Forces and In accordance with budgets seperated by government, Armed Forces funding defence programs ?
Well MOD has its own seperate budget but each service(Army and sepah) has its own R&D and defense program budgets, there are two organization in Army and Sepah called Army/Sepah self sufficiency jihad(and each branch-ground force,air foce,...- has its own sub branch)

For example Army's self sufficiency jihad is responsible for developing and building of Zolfaghar tank(there will be two factories building Z-3 one will belong to army and another one to MOD),shaher sniper rifle, neynava truck(army is building a factory for manufacturing these trucks for itself) and etc and Sepah self sufficiency jihad is responsible for building Sarir APC, arash sniper rifle and etc.

also shahed 129 doesn't have that nub on his head.

defense minister in the video said same day on the next year we will unveil a drone that only 2 other countries have them!!!

It is for SATCOM on nose to control the plane off-sight via satellites.
tzrbx.png

What He mentioned as drone to be unveiled next years, must be something like Reaper or Heron-TP variant...

guys, a joke:
Dehghan: our drone is biggest.
Hajizadeh: No, It's not, ours is biggest. 
What He mentioned as drone to be unveiled next years, must be something like Reaper or Heron-TP variant...
reaper isn't much different than shahed-129.
no, I think it will be RQ-170 or Global hawk.

guys, a joke:

To be honest Reaper is much heavier than S-129, I believe it is more like the MQ-1.

Competition between different services is good but some time this lack of seperation and parellal work results in wasting of money.

Edit:although i think Fotros is not a waste of money.

IAI Eitan rip-off, Still seems decent for one though. Congratz, one of the few decent Iranian products. 
guys, a joke:

I doubt it, its not easy to build something similair to Reaper or Heron-TP, let alone RQ-170 or Global Hawk. The Shahed-129 was at best a crosbreed between Tactical and Small MALE UAVs, this fotros seems to be more comparable against Predator or Heron.

guys, a joke:

:what:
Then Let's compare similar class of UAV's.

S-129:
-Take off weight:1-1,5 tonnes
-Ceiling: 24000ft

Reaper:
-Take off weight: 5 tonnes
-Ceiling: 45000ft

Heron-TP
-Take off weight: 4600kg

------------------------------------------------------------

Heron
-Take off Weight: 1150kg
-Ceiling: 30000ft

ANKA:
-Take off weight: 1500kg

To be honest Reaper is much heavier than S-129, I believe it is more like the MQ-1.

Competition between different services is good but some time this lack of seperation and parellal work results in wasting of money.

Edit:although i think Fotros is not a waste of money.
it may be heavier, but they are in the same class, this new drone which defense minister talked about is a different class, he specially used the phrase "global class" for it.

there is no competition, there is no award. and to add to the list of drone producers in Iran even our AD headquarter "khatamol anbia" is producing its own drones "Sarir" and "Hazem" series.
having different group of scientists working on similar field and sharing the result will boost country's advancement. 
:what:
Then Let's compare similar class of UAV's.

S-129:
-Take off weight:1-1,5 tonnes
-Ceiling: 24000ft

Reaper:
-Take off weight: 5 tonnes

Heron-TP
-Take off weight: 4600kg

------------------------------------------------------------

Heron
-Take off Weight: 1150kg

ANKA:
-Take off weight: 1500kg
you are classifying them based on their weight. it's not common.
have a look here: (specially on the U.S air force section)
Unmanned aerial vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
@mohsen Aside from having decent MTOW (Maximum Take off weight) its pretty similair to our Tactical Karayel UAV. As i said before, i consider the S-129 to be a Tactical UAV with some MALE elements.

MTOW : 500kg
Endurance: 20+ Hours
Operational Altitude: 23.000 ft
Cruise speed: 80 Knots
Take-off, flight and Landing: fully autonomous

@mohsen Aside from having decent MTOW (Maximum Take off weight) its pretty similair to our Tactical Karayel UAV. As i said before, i consider the S-129 to be a Tactical UAV with some MALE elements.

MTOW : 500kg
Endurance: 20+ Hours
Operational Altitude: 23.000 ft
Cruise speed: 80 Knots
Take-off, flight and Landing: fully autonomous

How can you even compare the weight of karayel and s129? Karayel is a toy and anka is a lost project constantly missing deadlines.
I would like to remind you of what burak bekdil ( well known main stream turkish military analyst) said about Anka.

As always, facts are slightly different than the news produce of Erdoğan’s willing propagandists in the media: 1- There never was an agreement between Turkey and Egypt for the sale of the Turkish drone ANKA, 2- Hence, no deliveries had been scheduled, 3- Naturally, one could not suspend unscheduled deliveries under a deal never signed, 4- The ANKA is not an aircraft anyone could sell because it does not exist even in the Turkish Air Force’s inventory, 5- There is not yet even a contract to sell the ANKA to the Turkish military, and 6- The “all-Turkish” ANKA boasts a foreign engine, foreign automatic take-off and landing system, foreign landing gear, foreign flight data computer, foreign radio, foreign sensor and may even feature a foreign targeting pod soon – not to mention its Persian name.

Last edited:
it may be heavier, but they are in the same class, this new drone which defense minister talked about is a different class, he specially used the phrase "global class" for it.

there is no competition, there is no award. and to add to the list of drone producers in Iran even our AD headquarter "khatamol anbia" is producing its own drones "Sarir" and "Hazem" series.
having different group of scientists working on similar field and sharing the result will boost country's advancement. 

you are classifying them based on their weight. it's not common.
have a look here: (specially on the U.S air force section)
Unmanned aerial vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After posted the parameters I have typed above, Believe me Claiming S-129 as similar class with Reaper flying 45000ft+ altitudes is out of mind limits. It is not important which countries classify their drone limits based on what.

There is a simple fact: If your UAV is able to fly 24000ft altitude, While foreign one you pointed out as similar class rival, is flying 45000+ altitude, Then It means Foreign one is upper hand.

After this period, What You have to wish is to do serious R&D in order to reach such serious altitudes (2-3 World countries reached at present) with optimum weight rises and superior engine selections. If you claim that Iranian industry is going to reach 60000ft altitude(GlobalHawk) from 24000ft, Anyhow, It is no need to develop an UAV having a ceiling of 45000ft because S-129 is classified as similar class in some papers is childless because It is performances of drones which engineers pushes Weight/HP limits to keep their drones on the most difficult conditions of 45000ft altitude that engines burn fuels with minimum O2 level. No need to mention -40,-45 degree tempreture on those altitudes that control actuators should be kept not frozen and fuels on fuselage-wings should always warm up.

Those are not simple works dude...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom