What's new

Foreign tourist visiting Pakistan. What is the safest way?

Dannytoro

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the safest way for someone to visit Pakistan? Are certain areas safer then others? If so, what would be the destinations you would recommend? And where could you learn about customs and ways needed for Pakistan? Especially from the standpoint of the tourist being 100% secular and not religious at all. Not that I wish to reflect badly on other peoples religious choice. Being a Canadian American, it would be done under a Canadian passport.

What is the safest way for someone to visit Pakistan? Are certain areas safer then others? If so, what would be the destinations you would recommend? And where could you learn about customs and ways needed for Pakistan? Especially from the standpoint of the tourist being 100% secular and not religious at all. Not that I wish to reflect badly on other peoples religious choice. Being a Canadian American, it would be done under a Canadian passport.
Well, I would suggest best way to be safe and enjoy Pakistan is by knowing a Pakistani :angel:

Not that tourists don not find comfort they def do but a local can help get you around and help you experience the best in the limited time you are around...

As for 100% secular or non religious...No one will ask ;) nor care unless you want to show up nude then yes there will be some raised eyebrows and maybe the mental health care would be informed :D

As for cultures and customs....well, again no one will bother you much as long as you behave normally and do not try to go overboard with being foreign...

In large cities like Islamabad, Lahore or Karachi a blonde or a tourist is not an unseen sight so should be fine (I last visited in 2011 so I hope these are helpful)

Based on what I've heard Islamabad is the most comfortable place for foreign tourists. I've been to Karachi and I've see foreign people. People that look foreign aren't an everyday sight so you might get some people looking, but other than that you should be fine. Just do your research on the areas. There are some areas in Karachi mostly the outer lying areas where even a local would try to avoid but in public and in large crowd no one's going to bother you. Lahore i imagine is a mix of what I've described about Islamabad and Lahore.

Make some local friends, that way if you're about to do something risky your friends'll let you know. People are usually very friendly so I imagine you'd make friends quite easily. Or maybe even arrange to meet some people on this site when you get there.

*Go to Islamabad from Dubai

* Go to the mall, look for 'JJ' (Junaid Jamshed) outlet, buy a few befitting, shalwar kameez. (Traditional everyday dress), and a Pakistani wool cap.

*From Islamabad, hire a car or a taxi and go to Muree, do skiing, get drunk at the Muree brewery. Perhaps the oldest in S.Asia.

*From Islamabad Fly to Skardu,go and see our mountains.

* Go skiing in Malam Jabba

* Go to the Shindoor festival to attend the horse polo championship during the Shindoor fest season.

* Go to the Shangrila resort, go to the lake saif al maluk. [Lake of fairies]

* If youre into mountain climbing, go to the K-2, and Khunjarab Pass...the highest border post on mother earth.

* Come back to Skardu, fly to Lahore, stay there for a week, visit the ancient walled city, eat in the food street, visit sufi shrines, go to the Minar-e-Pakistan [Tower of liberty], go to the Lahore meuseum....and eat lots of food in the process...you can stay at five star hotels for affordable rates.

* Hire a cab go to Taxila to visit the relics of the Indus valley civilization and the Texila meuseum.

* If anyone asks, tell em you are Canadian and love cricket. :P

* Preferred greetings = Salam
* Reply = Wa-Salam
* Goodbye = Khuda Hafiz

* A lot of people speak or understand English.

* As for being safe....well, you are more likely to get killed in Alabama than in Pakistan. Like anywhere, it depends how you deal with it and where you go. Generally, Pakistanis take immense pride in taking guests, so if someone asks you for a cup of chai (tea), or to join them for a meal, don't refuse. :D

This should be enough to introduce you to Pakistan, and no don't expect to be on dirt roads, we do have freeways and a plenty of air ports.

Peace.

Go straight to Islamabad. I am sure someone would put together a nice host and guide for you from this very forum. There are times when I do not want to come back from that city. Then I start missing the anarchy and the dirty traffic and run back home.

* As for being safe....well, you are more likely to get killed in Alabama than in Pakistan. Like anywhere, it depends how you deal with it and where you go. Generally, Pakistanis take immense pride in taking guests, so if someone asks you for a cup of chai (tea), or to join them for a meal, don't refuse. :D

I lived in the State of Alabama for 7+ years. What you are suggesting is only true as an analogy. Even Chattanooga, a village (Also hosts a large KKK contingent) is much better maintained and safer than any city in Pakistan.

Go to Lahore, plenty of airlines, check in at PC hotel or others in the area, this is city center, go around on foot..... plenty of places to visit.
You will be well guided by the hotel staff..... and people are generally friendly, keep your documents with you because since last 5 years, foreigners must carry papers.
People are hospitable and you can talk to any one, shopping would not interest you much but we have good shoes, leather goods, textile etc.
Being secular is non issue, but do not preach it in street and neither assume every bearded man a terrorist.

Welcome. welcome to our beautiful country.

May I ask what is the length of your visit and what is the projected budget (affordable expenses) for the trip

Based on these two factors I can help figure out few option.

Pakistan, you don't see!

1483332_678127752228216_734558032_n.jpg

1471377_667912453249746_1315926864_n.jpg

1424326_666887053352286_1324241047_n.jpg

67052_502324786475181_491139501_n.jpg

Welcome. welcome to our beautiful country.

May I ask what is the length of your visit and what is the projected budget (affordable expenses) for the trip

Based on these two factors I can help figure out few option.

He better not sleep at railway station 'manji bistra' and better not eat 'nan chola' otherwise hotel prices are same as international and he better book in advance.
If he save $10 - 20 / night it doesn't matter.
Rent a Car is most expensive in Pakistan.... thanks to taxes and surcharges.

Thanks for your replies! Plenty of information and help. Aeronaut, that summit picture is just staggering in beauty. I could do that in my younger days, but probably not now. And thanks for the dress advice. You know I might pull off looking the part. It's my befuddlement of taking in the sights and being language compromised that will give me away...lol I will not be going this year. I hope to make an extended visit to Canada for a month or two this year. My Grandmother will turn 100 this year and I still have not met her.

I always fancied going to the Burj al Arab and staying for a few days. But I think there is not much history to see.I've always enjoyed mountainous countries, and Pakistan could hardly deliver more history. And food I'm betting. So I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider it.

BTW, if I'm going so far to see a new country, I'm coming for 2 weeks to a month. And I'm going to take a nice leisurely pace. I'm also going to look for non-tourist gem trading and check out gem cutters too. I realize Morganite and Lapis are more common there and I've sold both here in the USA. But I won't buy on the first trip over. I just want to meet folks who do that. Traditional cutters are even better. I would rather pay a local master and keep the heritage going then buy through traders.

Last edited:
@Dannytoro | Your'e welcome.

What i mentioned above is the travel you'd do to get to know Pakistan a little bit. There is much more to see in the countryside Punjab, Sindh and Baluchistan.

As for the dress, its nothing to do with being 'safe'. Its about living the culture you are in, so you make the most of your time. Lastly there is plenty of history in Lahore, and Taxila.

Home
Taxila Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the K-2

Vid-na-K2_s_severa_zps7e00e039.jpg

This is a goat called 'Markhor', its native to the Karakoram ranges and is our national mascot

hamalyan ibex.jpg

This is the K-2 shadowing other mountains...like a boss!

K2SHADOW.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! Plenty of information and help. Aeronaut, that summit picture is just staggering in beauty. I could do that in my younger days, but probably not now. And thanks for the dress advice. You know I might pull off looking the part. It's my befuddlement of taking in the sights and being language compromised that will give me away...lol I will not be going this year. I hope to make an extended visit to Canada for a month or two this year. My Grandmother will turn 100 this year and I still have not met her.

I always fancied going to the Burj al Arab and staying for a few days. But I think there is not much history to see.I've always enjoyed mountainous countries, and Pakistan could hardly deliver more history. And food I'm betting. So I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider it.

BTW, if I'm going so far to see a new country, I'm coming for 2 weeks to a month. And I'm going to take a nice leisurely pace. I'm also going to look for non-tourist gem trading and check out gem cutters too. I realize Morganite and Lapis are more common there and I've sold both here in the USA. But I won't buy on the first trip over. I just want to meet folks who do that. Traditional cutters are even better. I would rather pay a local master and keep the heritage going then buy through traders.

Oh that is no time to see this country of mine, it's not even enough to see that beautiful city of mine. Btw, good choice for swapping Dubai with Pakistan, you'll love it over there. And like Aero said, you could wear shorts and no one would care, you'll get some weird glances if your in a traditional, small Pukhtoon city, say Balakot or the like, but some local would have guided you about it before hand, and 'touristy' places are pretty used to seeing people like that. But still better wear pants unless you're in a big city, because even though they won't say anything, they will feel disrespected.

Next and most importantly, do not, under any circumstances, no matter what (I mean I can't emphasize more on this), not visit Gilgit Baltistan. You will thank me for the rest of your life. There you'll find traditional gem cutters (as traditional as it can get) and gems for a lot cheaper too. I don't know much about gem cutting in the rest of Pakistan. But you'll probably forget all about the gems as soon as you reach there. I'm not going to spoil anything.

Rest, do visit Lahore and Islamabad, beautiful cities. Karachi is a bit unsafe though, but this is coming from someone who last visited Karachi more than a year ago and only for a connecting flight, so best ask a Karachiite. Otherwise, I'm going back home (Lahore) for a couple of months, so if you need any help, or someone to show you a little bit around just let me know. You're a little bit late otherwise we could have discussed this in person at a local Timmy's too.

Last edited:
*Go to Islamabad from Dubai

* Go to the mall, look for 'JJ' (Junaid Jamshed) outlet, buy a few befitting, shalwar kameez. (Traditional everyday dress), and a Pakistani wool cap.

*From Islamabad, hire a car or a taxi and go to Muree, do skiing, get drunk at the Muree brewery. Perhaps the oldest in S.Asia.

*From Islamabad Fly to Skardu,go and see our mountains.

* Go skiing in Malam Jabba

* Go to the Shindoor festival to attend the horse polo championship during the Shindoor fest season.

* Go to the Shangrila resort, go to the lake saif al maluk. [Lake of fairies]

* If youre into mountain climbing, go to the K-2, and Khunjarab Pass...the highest border post on mother earth.

* Come back to Skardu, fly to Lahore, stay there for a week, visit the ancient walled city, eat in the food street, visit sufi shrines, go to the Minar-e-Pakistan [Tower of liberty], go to the Lahore meuseum....and eat lots of food in the process...you can stay at five star hotels for affordable rates.

* Hire a cab go to Taxila to visit the relics of the Indus valley civilization and the Texila meuseum.

* If anyone asks, tell em you are Canadian and love cricket. :P

* Preferred greetings = Salam
* Reply = Wa-Salam
* Goodbye = Khuda Hafiz

* A lot of people speak or understand English.

This should be enough to introduce you to Pakistan, and no don't expect to be on dirt roads, we do have freeways and a plenty of air ports.

Peace.
Kakkay advice main to usy na pilla
koi to acha kam kr ley
Muree Brewery :D

the foremost task is to get a visa, if you have a Pakistani national companion, then chances of getting visa would be more, otherwise 90% chances are that you would be rejected a visa.

Lahore is safe and cool, so is Islamabad and places in between, Taxila is historic site of Buddhism and if you want to see natural beauty then Naran/Kaghan valley, Galiyat (murree, nathiya gali, ghora gali etc) Gilgit/Hunza and Baltistan are safe and best tourist places.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom