What's new

For the Mullahs of Pakistan: Bass kareen oh yaar!

Chal Way Bullehya Chal O'thay Chaliyay
Jithay Saaray Annay
Na Koi Saadee Zaat PichHanay
Tay Na Koi Saanu Mannay

Parrh Parrh Aalim Faazil Hoya
Kaddi Apney Aap noo Parrheya hi nahin

Jaa Jaa Warda Mandir Maseetaan
Kaddi Mun Apney Vich tun Wardeya ee Nahin

Ainwayn Roz Shaitaan dey naal Larda
Kaddi Nafs Apney Naal Lardeya ee nahin

Bulleh Shah Aasmaanin Uddiyaan Phardaa
Jaidha Ghar Baitha Ohnun Phardeya ee Nahin

Kuch Souch Kar, Shama Pey Parwana Jala Ho Ga,
Shahed Icey Jalney Mein Jeeney Ka Maza Ho Ga,
Saqi Jab Yea Meh Tu Ney Boutle Mein Bhari Ho Gi,
Masti Sey Tera Kia Haal Hua Ho Ga,
Aur Mehkhaney Sey Masjid Tak Payee Gaye Naqash-e-Paa'n
Ya Mullah Gaya Ho Ga, Ya Rindh Gaya Ho Ga

Yup throughout history we've had people in Islam attacking artistic people even though theres not a single quote in the Quran that validates any of these edicts. But of course a lot of Prophet's quotes are found in Hadiths which were written by men (yes even the Sahih ones), 200/300 years after the Prophet!
There is no hadeeth which restricts artistic expression, except the prohibition of painting and sculpting human images by hand, which also exists in the jewish religion. However, even this is overblown, because the Prophet did see such a cloth, with images on it, and told to make it into a pillow.The essence of the prohibition lies in rejection of the first step to deification of mortals...their pictures and statues. Also, the prohibition of music, which some scholars attest to, is derived from a saying of Hazrat Umar. Again, we know that Hazrat Umar even disliked things which were not prohibited, and allowed by the Prophet. So using that text to prohibit music is disputed by scholars. No Saheeh Hadeeth goes against art, and the Prophet even encouraged poets to write poetry extolling the virtues of the state of Madina. ON another note, the Prophet helped his wife see the celebrations of the Abyssinian muslims on the day of Eid, when they were doing ceremonial dancing/fighting and playing of Duff (one sided drum beaten by hand). HAzrat Ayesha also used to play with a hand crafted woodern 'unicorn', that she used to call al Burraq, something that made the Prophet smile. The Prophet also encouraged the play of the Duff for music, during celebrations such as Eid, marriages, and was welcomed thus on his arrival after the migration to Madinah. The 'Ahadeeth were not written 200-300 years after the Prophet, as has been discussed in another thread.
Our Mullahs are so ingenious they translate that as "Okay only playing the duff is allowed". If something is wrong with Music, then the same should be wrong with the duff? Perhaps the Prophet only liked the duff, because that was the instrument of choice at the time? Really the problem is not with painting, sculpting, the problem is with their worship. I think if a person is sane enough to not confuse art with idolatory, the intention should count?
A hammer is essentially used on nails, if I use it to kill someone then am I the bad person or is it the fault of the hammer? Should we stop making hammers?
Painting/drawing, sculpting, music, all of these exist for a higher purpose. Yes back in the day people used to show reverence through their art to idols and false Gods, but the story is much different today. Anyway what I mainly wanted to point out was that how the orthodoxy in Islam has targeted free thinkers, poets and musicians in the past and all of that is repeating in Pakistan again.
I wrote something on this issue,,, I tried to make it as a website & hope it will work...
https://sites.google.com/site/myarticlesonislam/
-
-
Other instruments besides duff were praised by prophet too,,, This idea that only duff is allowed is based on shear misinterpretation...

Same with pictures,,, when prophet saw ppl worshipping pictures of Ibraheem, Ishaaq & Maryam that when he talked against drawing pictures,,, it's just that some ahadees do NOT quote the background of what Prophet said & thus the confusion...

Isn't Bulley Shah the one who wrote 'Bandeya Ho'?

I was introduced to some bulle shah songs(or as kalams as muslims would like to call) through coke studio pakistan.after reading their translatons I wondered how mullahs of his time allowed him to live.I think the society back then was not as fanatical as now.

We so desperately need the re-invigoration of the Sufi philosophy in our nation.

good find Asim , its a shame .... Bulley Shah figured mullahs few out some hundred years ago and we stil fighting.

@pak-marine;
Baba Bulleh Shah did not target Mullahs specifically. He pointed out at Bigotry, Hypocrisy, Intolerance wherever it is/was. That is the reason why his appeal is universal and is relevant to all times; including our times!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was introduced to some bulle shah songs(or as kalams as muslims would like to call) through coke studio pakistan.after reading their translatons I wondered how mullahs of his time allowed him to live.I think the society back then was not as fanatical as now.

Please stop thinking about that; it is relatively unimportant.
Now that you have discovered that how an important message can be so simply disseminated; please explore it even further. You will find it to be a self-fufilling exercise. The beauty of it all is that the message is not just circumscribed by any religious dogmas.
You can take the message and relate it to anything that reeks of prejudice, hypocrisy and intolerance and then find the universality of its appeal.

Back
Top Bottom