What's new

For the Mullahs of Pakistan: Bass kareen oh yaar!

Awesome

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
A big thumbs up to Baba Bulley Shah for calling out these political thugs who were nothing but a tool of certain Mughal regimes to suppress artistic visions of such writers of the past.

Unfortunately they grew into a an independent menace in Present day Pakistan.

09095ad6879b9f126d15b7328aca057f.jpg

Bulleh Shah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PaRh paRh likh likh laaweyN dher
Veyd kataabaaN chaar chafeyr
Girdey chaanan wich haneyr
Aapne aap di khabar na saar
Ikko alaf terey darkaar, ilmoN bas kareeN O yaar

You read and write heaps of books.
Sacred books are piled up all around you.
Surrounded by light, you carry darkness within you.
One ‘Alif’ is all you need, forget the pride in your knowlege, O friend.

PaRh parRh shaikh mashaikh hoyaa
Bhar bhar peyt, neeNdar bhar soyaa
JaaNdi waar nain bhar royaa
Dubbaa wich uraar na paar

Your vast amount of reading has made you a religious master.
You eat excessively and sleep profoundly.
When the time of death arrives - you weep and cry bitterly.
All this repentance is in vain. You drown in the middle of the river - neither reaching one bank or the other. (You drown under the huge weight of your sins.)

PaRh paRh nafal namaaz guzaareyN
UchiyaaN baaNgaaN, chaaNgaaN maareyN
MaNbar tey chaRh waz pukaareyN
Keeta tainooN hirs khawaar

You say prayers upon prayers.
You scream and yell loudly.
Sitting at the pulpit, you deliver sermons.
Greed has brought disgrace upon you.

PaRh paRh mullaaN hoye qaazi
Allah ilmaaN baajhoN raazi
Hovay hirs dino-din taazee
Nafaa neeyat wich guzaar

By means of acquiring knowledge, Mullahs become Qazi (religious judges).
God has no concern with such knowledge.
You refresh your greed day by day.
Your inner-self is always seeking gains.

PaRh paRh masley roz sunaaveyN
Khaanaa shak shubay da khaaweyN
DasseyN hor, tey hor kamaaweyN
Andar khot, baahar sachyaar

You deliver homilies (sermons) every day.
You eat the food of suspicion and doubt.
You preach something and act inversely.
Inwardly - you are corrupt, but, outwardly, you are pious - a liar hidden in the garb of truth.

IlmoN paye qaziye hor
AkheeN waale anhay kor
PhaRdey saadh tey chhaD-dey chor
DoweyN jahaaneeN hoyaa khawaar

As with the help of such false vision they can not find and see the truth,
They capture innocent people and let thieves escape.
In both worlds they are disgraced.

IlmoN miyaaN ji kahaaweyN
TaNba chuk chuk mandi jaaweyN
Dheyla lai ke chhuri chalaaweyN
Naal qasaaiyaaN bohat pyaar

With such knowledge you are called Mian Ji (a title of respect).
You tug up your trousers and go to the market.
You start killing brutally even for a farthing (coin of very little value).
You have excessive affection for the butchers.

Jad meiN sabaq ishq da paRhya
Daryaa weykh wahdat da waRya
Ghuman-gheyraaN dey wich aRyaa
Shah Inayat laaya paar

When I learnt the lesson of love,
I dived into the River of Unity.
I was caught up in its whirlpools.
Shah Inayat helped me to cross it.

- Tranlated by Prof. Saeed Ahmad ( www.sufiwisdom.org )

Lovely...
i wonder these talibans type species even roamed the earth during Bulley Shah's time.

BTW, i have been to him tomb in Kasur!

Lovely...
i wonder these talibans type species even roamed the earth during Bulley Shah's time.

Yup throughout history we've had people in Islam attacking artistic people even though theres not a single quote in the Quran that validates any of these edicts. But of course a lot of Prophet's quotes are found in Hadiths which were written by men (yes even the Sahih ones), 200/300 years after the Prophet!

Some Mughals were especially irked by the Sufi poets since they were regarded as great Islamic leaders by their followers and the problem was they would sing and dance and within their lyrics would be some satirical comments against the monarchy.

Even though Sufi Islam of TODAY is oddly just becoming a Mulung but back in the day it was more of a rejection on this suppression of free speech and draconian laws under the garb of implementing Islam.

Mullah ji, bass kareen oh yaar!

Wow...had to read it twice.
Great find Asim! :tup:
Neo its very very tough Punjabi, and such words are not commonly used in day to day language... It took me a few reads as well so I thought its best the English translation is posted along as well.

Btw, I highlighted: AkheeN waale anhay kor

Kor is the same Punjabi derivative of the Sindhi word Kuroh!

Neo its very very tough Punjabi, and such words are not commonly used in day to day language... It took me a few reads as well so I thought its best the English translation is posted along as well.

Btw, I highlighted: AkheeN waale anhay kor

Kor is the same Punjabi derivative of the Sindhi word Kuroh!

Ya, it is what we call taithe punjabi...

i had to go through it more than once, one could directly read the angraizi thing, but, the punjabi of the text has its own sawad..so i think no one should miss it.

I've been there too, it was weird. All bunch of charsees there.

I was in highschool and the junoon song Bulleya had just come out. I went and told those Qawals, I know a 'Bulla song' too. So there I was with those qawals and their dhol singing "Bulleyaaaa ki jaana main kaun", those guys were so impressed.

I've been there too, it was weird. All bunch of charsees there.

I was in highschool and the junoon song Bulleya had just come out. I went and told those Qawals, I know a 'Bulla song' too. So there I was with those qawals and their dhol singing "Bulleyaaaa ki jaana main kaun", those guys were so impressed.

lolz... didn't they give a fatwah on blasphemizing the 'sacred' verses?:rofl:

Bass kareen oh yaar!

And unfortunately, charsees are the trade mark of these darbars now a day.

Padha nahi ja raha? :D koi dawa khao :P

Those having difficulty reading it may opt to hear it in a song:

Alif - Junoon

Although I think you still won't understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
kon se dawa khaon
50fc9b70ba761ff9f0e84c92f1c1af73.gif

73d831004b84513393370b49706e89f3.gif
video aur english translation se ab kuch samjh aaya....... muj se woh panjabi sahi se parda ja rahi thi

my mother use to say to me something like this
e0dd77fbffe36e2e0612357c34066044.gif

PaRh paRh likh likh laaweyN dher
Veyd kataabaaN chaar chafeyr
6a2f2f85d803f69f125ba327c5598bcf.gif

Yup throughout history we've had people in Islam attacking artistic people even though theres not a single quote in the Quran that validates any of these edicts. But of course a lot of Prophet's quotes are found in Hadiths which were written by men (yes even the Sahih ones), 200/300 years after the Prophet!

Some Mughals were especially irked by the Sufi poets since they were regarded as great Islamic leaders by their followers and the problem was they would sing and dance and within their lyrics would be some satirical comments against the monarchy.

Even though Sufi Islam of TODAY is oddly just becoming a Mulung but back in the day it was more of a rejection on this suppression of free speech and draconian laws under the garb of implementing Islam.

Mullah ji, bass kareen oh yaar!

There is no hadeeth which restricts artistic expression, except the prohibition of painting and sculpting human images by hand, which also exists in the jewish religion.

However, even this is overblown, because the Prophet did see such a cloth, with images on it, and told to make it into a pillow.

The essence of the prohibition lies in rejection of the first step to deification of mortals...their pictures and statues.

Also, the prohibition of music, which some scholars attest to, is derived from a saying of Hazrat Umar. Again, we know that Hazrat Umar even disliked things which were not prohibited, and allowed by the Prophet. So using that text to prohibit music is disputed by scholars.

No Saheeh Hadeeth goes against art, and the Prophet even encouraged poets to write poetry extolling the virtues of the state of Madina.

ON another note, the Prophet helped his wife see the celebrations of the Abyssinian muslims on the day of Eid, when they were doing ceremonial dancing/fighting and playing of Duff (one sided drum beaten by hand).

HAzrat Ayesha also used to play with a hand crafted woodern 'unicorn', that she used to call al Burraq, something that made the Prophet smile.

The Prophet also encouraged the play of the Duff for music, during celebrations such as Eid, marriages, and was welcomed thus on his arrival after the migration to Madinah.

The 'Ahadeeth were not written 200-300 years after the Prophet, as has been discussed in another thread.

Last edited:
There is no hadeeth which restricts artistic expression, except the prohibition of painting and sculpting human images by hand, which also exists in the jewish religion.

However, even this is overblown, because the Prophet did see such a cloth, with images on it, and told to make it into a pillow.

The essence of the prohibition lies in rejection of the first step to deification of mortals...their pictures and statues.

Also, the prohibition of music, which some scholars attest to, is derived from a saying of Hazrat Umar. Again, we know that Hazrat Umar even disliked things which were not prohibited, and allowed by the Prophet. So using that text to prohibit music is disputed by scholars.

No Saheeh Hadeeth goes against art, and the Prophet even encouraged poets to write poetry extolling the virtues of the state of Madina.

ON another note, the Prophet helped his wife see the celebrations of the Abyssinian muslims on the day of Eid, when they were doing ceremonial dancing/fighting and playing of Duff (one sided drum beaten by hand).

HAzrat Ayesha also used to play with a hand crafted woodern 'unicorn', that she used to call al Burraq, something that made the Prophet smile.

The Prophet also encouraged the play of the Duff for music, during celebrations such as Eid, marriages, and was welcomed thus on his arrival after the migration to Madinah.

The 'Ahadeeth were not written 200-300 years after the Prophet, as has been discussed in another thread.
Our Mullahs are so ingenious they translate that as "Okay only playing the duff is allowed".

If something is wrong with Music, then the same should be wrong with the duff? Perhaps the Prophet only liked the duff, because that was the instrument of choice at the time?

Really the problem is not with painting, sculpting, the problem is with their worship. I think if a person is sane enough to not confuse art with idolatory, the intention should count?

A hammer is essentially used on nails, if I use it to kill someone then am I the bad person or is it the fault of the hammer? Should we stop making hammers?

Painting/drawing, sculpting, music, all of these exist for a higher purpose. Yes back in the day people used to show reverence through their art to idols and false Gods, but the story is much different today.

Anyway what I mainly wanted to point out was that how the orthodoxy in Islam has targeted free thinkers, poets and musicians in the past and all of that is repeating in Pakistan again.

Back
Top Bottom