What's new

FN FAL vs H&K G3 (IA vs PA)

MilSpec

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Background.

FN FAL: The Phrase "Help I've Fallen" got a new definition when the FN FAL arrived. Didn't matter what odds were against you when you had the biggest baddest boy of assualt rifle world on your shoulders. Unlike the AK and AR, the FAL used a s big 7.62 x 51 full size rifle cartridge. The FAL was predominantly chambered for the 7.62×51mm NATO round, and because of its prevalence and widespread use among the armed forces of many NATO countries during the Cold War it was nicknamed "The right arm of the Free World"

12220860_1.jpg

fnfal4.jpg

fal_dsa_sa58osw.jpg

The FAL operates by means of a gas-operated action very similar to that of the Russian SVT-40. The gas system is driven by a short-stroke, spring-loaded piston housed above the barrel, and the locking mechanism is what is known as a tilting breechblock. To lock, it drops down into a solid shoulder of metal in the heavy receiver much like the bolts of the Russian SKS carbine and French MAS-49 series of semi-automatic rifles. The gas system is fitted with a gas regulator behind the front sight base, allowing adjustment of the gas system in response to environmental conditions. The piston system can be bypassed completely, using the gas plug, to allow for the firing of rifle grenades and manual. The FAL's magazine capacity ranges from five to 30 rounds, with most magazines holding 20 rounds. In fixed stock versions of the FAL, the recoil spring is housed in the stock, while in folding-stock versions it is housed in the receiver cover, necessitating a slightly different receiver cover, recoil spring, and bolt carrier, and a modified lower receiver for the stock.

Indian Army angle : Indian SLR 1A1/2/C is a reverse engineered mixed inch/metric pattern FN FAL rifle produced in both semi auto and full auto formats.

H&K G3

Heckler And Koch G-3

G3-sg1-1.jpg

g305.jpg

The G3A3 (A4) is a selective-fire automatic weapon that employs a roller-delayed blowback operating system. The two-piece bolt assembly consists of a breech (bolt head) and bolt carrier. The bolt is held in battery by two sliding cylindrical rollers that engage locking recesses in the barrel extension (popularly called a "trunnion"; BATF calls this a "mounting block"). The breech is opened when both rollers are compressed inward against camming surfaces driven by the rearward pressure of the expanding gases upon the bolt head. As the rollers move inward, recoil energy is transferred to the locking piece and bolt carrier which begin to withdraw while the bolt head slowly moves rearward in relation to the bolt carrier. As the bolt carrier clears the rollers, pressure in the bore drops to a safe level, the bolt head is caught by the bolt carrier and moves to the rear as one unit, continuing the operating cycle. The bolt also features an anti-bounce mechanism that prevents the bolt from bouncing off the barrel's breech surface. The spring-powered claw extractor is also contained inside the bolt while the lever ejector is located inside the trigger housing (actuated by the recoiling bolt)

Pakistan Army Angle: G3 is the standard issue rifle for PA and produced under license by POF in wah.

Both FAL and G3 are also available to civilians in certain countries in semi auto configurations, and I have been lucky enough to shoot both them.

the following are my personal observations and opinions based on FAL Imbel Semi auto and PTR 91 (G3 semi auto)

Build quality: I found the G3 built very sturdy and well balanced, FAL pretty much holds up in this area against the G3 but in head to head comparison, G3 wins. Also G3 feels more balanced feel.

Accuracy: Both rifles are extremely accurate upto 300 yards on open sight, but the the action of the breach on the G3 has a delayed roller system which locks the breech head in a very robust manner providing what seems like a tighter seal compared to the FAL's tilting/sliding block arrangement for the breech head. So essentially although the difference isn't huge but in a competition a std G3 will beat a FAL at shot groupings. (Although FAL imbel that I used had a rotating bolt so that might kick the accuracy upto the G3 level)

Dis-assembly/cleaning: FAL shines in ease of cleaning and maintaining and is definitely easier to take down, G3 on the other hand seems a little more complicated and time consuming to do the same.

Features: FAL has the adjustable gas pressure port, which actually reduces the recoil, and can also be used to cycle a relatively dirty rifle in case of gas port clogging. G3 lacks such feature as it function on blowback mechanism, which adds to reliability but increases recoil. This might be another area where FAL catches up to G3's precision by cutting down the recoil.

last comment on the comparison would be a non functional non value attribute, "appearance", I like the FAL's looks better than the G3. On side by side comparison, a standard G3 is a better rifle than FN FAL, the difference is marginal but both rifles are extremely potent battle rifle systems.

@sandy_3126 Have you ever used the type81?I've looked for reviews on youtube but hasn't found any(except for videos of PLA shooting them in shooting ranges).

Last edited by a moderator:
@sandy_3126 Have you ever used the type81?I've looked for reviews on youtube but hasn't found any(except for videos of PLA shooting them in shooting ranges).

No, Never heard of it till now, but from what I read from Wiki, there might be another rifle that might be pretty close to that configuration, the PSL,the romanian dragunov lookalike is actually based on RPK, which is essentially a heavier receiver AK with a stronger bolt. That is waht type 81 sounds like from the limited data available.

Background.

FN FAL: The Phrase "Help I've Fallen" got a new definition when the FN FAL arrived. Didn't matter what odds were against you when you had the biggest baddest boy of assualt rifle world on your shoulders. Unlike the AK and AR, the FAL used a s big 7.62 x 51 full size rifle cartridge. The FAL was predominantly chambered for the 7.62×51mm NATO round, and because of its prevalence and widespread use among the armed forces of many NATO countries during the Cold War it was nicknamed "The right arm of the Free World"

12220860_1.jpg

fnfal4.jpg

fal_dsa_sa58osw.jpg

The FAL operates by means of a gas-operated action very similar to that of the Russian SVT-40. The gas system is driven by a short-stroke, spring-loaded piston housed above the barrel, and the locking mechanism is what is known as a tilting breechblock. To lock, it drops down into a solid shoulder of metal in the heavy receiver much like the bolts of the Russian SKS carbine and French MAS-49 series of semi-automatic rifles. The gas system is fitted with a gas regulator behind the front sight base, allowing adjustment of the gas system in response to environmental conditions. The piston system can be bypassed completely, using the gas plug, to allow for the firing of rifle grenades and manual. The FAL's magazine capacity ranges from five to 30 rounds, with most magazines holding 20 rounds. In fixed stock versions of the FAL, the recoil spring is housed in the stock, while in folding-stock versions it is housed in the receiver cover, necessitating a slightly different receiver cover, recoil spring, and bolt carrier, and a modified lower receiver for the stock.

Indian Army angle : Indian SLR 1A1/2/C is a reverse engineered mixed inch/metric pattern FN FAL rifle produced in both semi auto and full auto formats.

H&K G3

Heckler And Koch G-3

G3-sg1-1.jpg

g305.jpg

The G3A3 (A4) is a selective-fire automatic weapon that employs a roller-delayed blowback operating system. The two-piece bolt assembly consists of a breech (bolt head) and bolt carrier. The bolt is held in battery by two sliding cylindrical rollers that engage locking recesses in the barrel extension (popularly called a "trunnion"; BATF calls this a "mounting block"). The breech is opened when both rollers are compressed inward against camming surfaces driven by the rearward pressure of the expanding gases upon the bolt head. As the rollers move inward, recoil energy is transferred to the locking piece and bolt carrier which begin to withdraw while the bolt head slowly moves rearward in relation to the bolt carrier. As the bolt carrier clears the rollers, pressure in the bore drops to a safe level, the bolt head is caught by the bolt carrier and moves to the rear as one unit, continuing the operating cycle. The bolt also features an anti-bounce mechanism that prevents the bolt from bouncing off the barrel's breech surface. The spring-powered claw extractor is also contained inside the bolt while the lever ejector is located inside the trigger housing (actuated by the recoiling bolt)

Pakistan Army Angle: G3 is the standard issue rifle for PA and produced under license by POF in wah.

Both FAL and G3 are also available to civilians in certain countries in semi auto configurations, and I have been lucky enough to shoot both them.

the following are my personal observations and opinions based on FAL Imbel Semi auto and PTR 91 (G3 semi auto)

Build quality: I found the G3 built very sturdy and well balanced, FAL pretty much holds up in this area against the G3 but in head to head comparison, G3 wins. Also G3 feels more balanced feel.

Accuracy: Both rifles are extremely accurate upto 300 yards on open sight, but the the action of the breach on the G3 has a delayed roller system which locks the breech head in a very robust manner providing what seems like a tighter seal compared to the FAL's tilting/sliding block arrangement for the breech head. So essentially although the difference isn't huge but in a competition a std G3 will beat a FAL at shot groupings. (Although FAL imbel that I used had a rotating bolt so that might kick the accuracy upto the G3 level)

Dis-assembly/cleaning: FAL shines in ease of cleaning and maintaining and is definitely easier to take down, G3 on the other hand seems a little more complicated and time consuming to do the same.

Features: FAL has the adjustable gas pressure port, which actually reduces the recoil, and can also be used to cycle a relatively dirty rifle in case of gas port clogging. G3 lacks such feature as it function on blowback mechanism, which adds to reliability but increases recoil. This might be another area where FAL catches up to G3's precision by cutting down the recoil.

last comment on the comparison would be a non functional non value attribute, "appearance", I like the FAL's looks better than the G3. On side by side comparison, a standard G3 is a better rifle than FN FAL, the difference is marginal but both rifles are extremely potent battle rifle systems.

That made for a nice read thank for that. I have always been a fan of both rifles.

Indian Army used the slightly different Indian variant of FN FAL called the SLR. Its no longer the standard issue of Indian army. Its limited to training purposes,and as firing port weapon in our APCs.

Indian Army used the slightly different Indian variant of FN FAL called the SLR. Its no longer the standard issue of Indian army. Its limited to training purposes,and as firing port weapon in our APCs.

Different? the only difference between SLR 1A1/2/C variants compared to a metric FAL or an inch pattern L1A1 is that it is a mix of both, from what i know the the dimensions of the gas tube, seals and the bolt are in inch pattern dimension, whereas trigger group spring, receiver housing are closer to metric FAL.

L1A1 is still in widespread use among the forces. SLR 1AC is the fully auto version still manufactured and being offered for DM's for the army, BSF and para forces.

Different? the only difference between SLR 1A1/2/C variants compared to a metric FAL or an inch pattern L1A1 is that it is a mix of both, from what i know the the dimensions of the gas tube, seals and the bolt are in inch pattern dimension, whereas trigger group spring, receiver housing are closer to metric FAL.

L1A1 is still in widespread use among the forces. SLR 1AC is the fully auto version still manufactured and being offered for DM's for the army, BSF and para forces.

Indeed the difference is in measurements only.
I don't know about the use of SLR L1A1 in active forces. Its my knowledge that in active duties,mostly INSAS is used.

The report is a fair statement

G3s got a nice kick to it; the stopping power is still on par with many of today's modern assault rifles - just the accuracy is slightly off compared to some of the American assault rifles (like the M14)

Makes up for it in firing power and durability. The design is simple and that makes it reliable

And in a fight, that's what you want!

If the soldier is properly trained for precision firing on the G3, you can trust your life with it in combat. This weapon nearly guarantees that if you hit your target it will highly likely be killed with one shot. The stopping power of the G3 is remarkable even by today's standard. As far as H&K G3 vs FN FAL, these two battle rifles on paper statistically are neck and neck and the edge in battle can only really be achieved by the soldiers individual skill, and with the help of the attachments like optics and scope used to enhance the weapon.

I have read that the FN FAL does experience bullets jamming in the chamber or shells not releasing fully (pipe jam) that is real issue. As far as G3 it's built like a tank, haven't heard of frequent jams. H&K is an elite manufacturer.

What about INSAS?
OFB-INSAS Rifle

INSAS (an abbreviation of Indian Small Arms System) is a family of infantry arms consisting of an assault rifle, a light machine gun and a carbine. It is manufactured by the Ordnance Factories Board at Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli, Small Arms Factory Kanpur and Ishapore Rifle Factory. The Insas Assault Rifle is the standard infantry weapon of the Indian Armed Forces.

Insas rifle system has been a very effective low cost solution that utilized the best to offer from three rifle systems, viz. AK47, FN FAL, and the M16.

The action, long stroke gas system, rotating bolt, and stamped steel receiver gives it the ruggedness and reliability of an AK47, the Gas regulator from the FAL give it the ability to cycle rounds, even if the rifle’s gas piston is clogged. Although It has a stamped receiver, the tolerances are kept significantly tight along with the lesser reciprocating breach axis offset compared to AK, gives it reliable accuracy.

5.56x 45 Nato attracts a lot of flak from critics, but it is still one of the most flat shooting round upto 300 yards, and is effective up to 600 yards. The 7.62 x 39, the AK round has better terminal ballistics but the downside is the rounds justs drops too much. When 7.62 x 39 is zeroed at 100 yards, the compensation at 400 yards is nearly 60 inches making the target nearly disappear from the sight picture( which is the engagement range for IA positions in LOC), With a 5.56 you will have to compensate lesser, but compromise on terminal ballistics which a fair tradeoff, as you are hitting the target (if not completely neutralizing him).

Insas is controllable in full auto like the m16, whereas FAL becomes an ack ack in full auto and ak you spray and pray. Please bear in mind when the Insas was introduced, there was no 6.8 SPC or the 6.5 grendel options hence 5.56 was lesser of evil when it came to developing a battle rifle.
All these mix and match features gave you a reliable, low cost, accurate rifle borrowing on best features of contemporaries and minimizing drawbacks of the each mentioned systems.

INSAS+rifle+INSAS+Standard+rifle+%25285.56+mm%2529+%2528Foldable+Butt%2529+INSAS+LMG+5.56+mm+KALANTAK+5.56+mm+micro+assault+rifle+Modern+Sub+Machine+Carbine+Indian+Small+Arms+System+%25284%2529.jpg

477690188.jpg

Cartridge 5.56x45mm NATO
5.56×30mm MINSAS
Action Gas-operated, Rotating bolt
Rate of fire 650 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity 900 m/s (2,953 ft/s)
Effective range 450 Meters
Feed system 20/30-round detachable box magazine
Sights In-built Iron sights
Plate for attaching various scopes made by Ordnance Factory Board

Last edited:

Back