What's new

First Project-15B Bangalore-class DDG hull : satellite pics

The A-5

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
JNhXbgX.jpg

^^ Above two images, taken in Oct 2013, and May 2014 respectively, show the progress on first P-15B
hull fabrication. The keel-laying ceremony for the first ship, INS Bangalore, happened in between,
in January 2014.

Thanks to shipone at *** for the images.

To the warship experts here - @Dillinger @Penguin - Sirs, any comments? Believeing
the "slots" on the front to be VLS areas...it looks somewhat different from P-15A ? The SAMs
seem to have been moved to front and BrahMos to rear. The slots toward the stern don't appear
very clear

JNhXbgX.jpg

^^ Above two images, taken in Oct 2013, and May 2014 respectively, show the progress on first P-15B
hull fabrication. The keel-laying ceremony for the first ship, INS Bangalore, happened in between,
in January 2014.

To the warship experts here - @Dillinger @Penguin - Sirs, any comments? Believeing
the "slots" on the front to be VLS areas...it looks somewhat different from P-15A ? The SAMs
seem to have been moved to front and BrahMos to rear. The slots toward the stern don't appear
very clear

Where are the images?

Where are the images?

You can't see them? Here's a direct link to an imgur upload -

imgur: the simple image sharer

The newly adopted modular construction methods seem to be paying off huge dividends. At this pace, I'm sure
we might see the first P-15B inducted within 4 years from now. I hope BrahMos-II hypersonic cruise missiles
get ready by then (2018)...with those, the P-15Bs will literally rule the waters around here...

And looking at the pics, along with the ships, the shipyard too seems to be undergoing expansion :lol:

JNhXbgX.jpg

in January 2014.

very clear

Its difficult to state what the "slots" are for definitively. Although there is likely to be not much of a difference between the two (15A and 15B), at best I can state that the latter will sport a different volume search radar (RAN-40L?), beyond that its very difficult to pick out anything definitive (and please lets not pull out wikipedia specs). I highly doubt that any long range LAMs are being considered by the IN since we have not seen any movement on a ship launched Nirbhay, so the basic mix of LR-SAMs and AShM (doubling in same short range LAMs, the Brahmos) is what's going to stay on.

Also, if you want the experts, folks who've actually been on and around ships are a better pick. :p:

@Capt.Popeye along with @Penguin should do.

Its difficult to state what the "slots" are for definitively. Although there is likely to be not much of a difference between the two (15A and 15B), at best I can state that the latter will sport a different volume search radar (RAN-40L?), beyond that its very difficult to pick out anything definitive (and please lets not pull out wikipedia specs). I highly doubt that any long range LAMs are being considered by the IN since we have not seen any movement on a ship launched Nirbhay, so the basic mix of LR-SAMs and AShM (doubling in same short range LAMs, the Brahmos) is what's going to stay on.

Also, if you want the experts, folks who've actually been on and around ships are a better pick. :p:

Thanks very much for the insights, sir ji!

I'll wait for the Captain & Penguin to arrive!

@Dillinger the Munshi now a shipbuilding expert? What the gift of gab won't get you...

A lot of places, some folks thought I was an engineer because I was unpacking radio and telephonic tech on another thread.:p:

Numbers man through and through.8-)

Unlike the self-deprecating munshi across the border.:mad:

Dammit PK Sengupta was right!

The P 15B and P 15A are absolutely same except it will be a lot cleaner and it will have a new Volume Search Radar like RAN 40L.

PK Sengupta said as per his sources the INS Kolkata has 64 Barak 2 missiles. It has 32 ready to fire VLS and 32 rounds that are stored internally with each 2 X 8 vls section having additional 2 X 8 rounds internally that are reloaded internally using a hydraulic mechanism like in the RBU 6000 canisters once you take out the spent canisters from the vls using a crane. This feature was provided for in order to allow more missiles during pro acted campaigns.

If you look at forward area of the P 15 B it has 2 X 8 sections to allow Brahmos missile. Behind it an even bigger cavity is allowed in order to provide space for 2 X 8 VLS cells of Barak 8. However given volume of space occupied by Barak 8 VLS, this large a space is totally unnecessary meaning just one thing - 32 VLS ready to fire, 32 reloads!

P 15B

JNhXbgX.jpg

Ins Kolkata

KOLKATA+2.jpg

DSC_0071.JPG

See for yourself. If it was a new design like P 17A ,construction would never have started this quickly.

The Fwd compartments are for the VLS units. The rest of the hull shape seems to be pretty much like the Kolkatas. Will there be any changes in the upper works, say X-form?
LRSAM should make it into the initial outfitting as well as a new CIWS. Even the new SRGM of greater caliber is likely.
But as you say Nirbhay is not likely to be included, the validation trials before induction will take some time. And will it make it as an ALCM before that?
New Sensors/systems are certain, just a new Helo will get selected, I do not see Seakings being embarked.

Most of all; the effects of the upgradation of facilities towards modular construction is showing clearly; for me that is the biggest positive.

The Fwd compartments are for the VLS units. The rest of the hull shape seems to be pretty much like the Kolkatas. Will there be any changes in the upper works, say X-form?
LRSAM should make it into the initial outfitting as well as a new CIWS. Even the new SRGM of greater caliber is likely.
But as you say Nirbhay is not likely to be included, the validation trials before induction will take some time. And will it make it as an ALCM before that?
New Sensors/systems are certain, just a new Helo will get selected, I do not see Seakings being embarked.

Most of all; the effects of the upgradation of facilities towards modular construction is showing clearly; for me that is the biggest positive.

X-form and superstructure modifications are not something I'd even want to comment on, have no idea whatsoever if we will see such things. Also higher caliber of SRGMs seems less likely given that we've seen no movement on it so far, any thing that gets fitted on the 15B would need to at least be under evaluation soon enough to fit the timeline. New CIWS, yes since we also apparently have a tender out for it, Maitri SR-SAM for point defence perhaps?

@Capt.Popeye Also, would you like to comment upon prasun gupta's notion that the Barak VLU/VLS can be reloaded from beneath the deck by some internal system and therefore the Kolkatas carry an extra 32 LR-SAMs situated below deck in the area between the Brahmos VLS and the LR-SAM VLS? Honestly, he seems to be getting carried away these days.:p:

X-form and superstructure modifications are not something I'd even want to comment on, have no idea whatsoever if we will see such things. Also higher caliber of SRGMs seems less likely given that we've seen no movement on it so far, any thing that gets fitted on the 15B would need to at least be under evaluation soon enough to fit the timeline. New CIWS, yes since we also apparently have a tender out for it, Maitri SR-SAM for point defence perhaps?

Couple of things though.

1. This ship is certainly bigger than Kolkata class. 8000 tons approxiamately .

2. The ship has a higher chance of getting 127/64mm gun as forward area or bow is longer.

3. CIWS is possibly Maitri with revati radar and new gun based CIWS or AK 630/ SR SAM combination.

4. It was laid down in october 2013, till now quite a bit has been constructed! Modular capacity is showing quick results!

AFAIK, the higher caliber gun has been built into the design. Just as a newer CIWS is.
X-form is a distinct possibility since, its already been used in the Kamorta design. So its easy to adapt here; if it has not already been done so!
It is not visible in the Kolkatas, since that design was frozen long ago.

Awesome photos!

And these photos must be more than 1 year old, due to understanding between US and India.

@Capt.Popeye Am I right?

Couple of things though.

1. This ship is certainly bigger than Kolkata class. 8000 tons approxiamately .

2. The ship has a higher chance of getting 127/64mm gun as forward area or bow is longer.

3. CIWS is possibly Maitri with revati radar and new gun based CIWS or AK 630/ SR SAM combination.

4. It was laid down in october 2013, till now quite a bit has been constructed! Modular capacity is showing quick results!

Maitri won't require the Revathi radar, I had the same thoughts (due to the illustrations of the Maitri naval variant which show a corvette class ship with a revathi radar marked out) but the Revathi itself is a VSR and not a fire directing radar like the Barak-1's STGR, the Maitir does not need CLOS and so will not need the Revathi.

Back
Top Bottom