What's new

Farogh Naseem resigns as law minister to represent govt in SC hearing on Bajwa’s extension

...to fight the case tomorrow.

From what Shafqat Mehmood said afterwards, it seems that he will be rejoining the cabinet after this case is settled.

...to fight the case tomorrow.

From what Shafqat Mehmood said afterwards, it seems that he will be rejoining the cabinet after this case is settled.
Why it so serious, extensions never been issue before.
aahhh .. after applicant withdraw the application against COAS extension, now SC convert the petition into Suo Moto.
SC claim , applicant raise some valid question in his application.
Why is this posted in 'Pakistan Army' section?
It is COAS related issue. Now issue is headline everywhere.

" Extension in tenure ordinance" will be passed in next few hours.

it will be another constitutional mess. Ordinances need parliament approval.
lol ..do you think opposition is serious. They didn't say a single word in favor or against Bajwa extension.

You cannot change the law in ongoing case,
Supreme Court give direction how to appeal. Actually IK cabinet is full of uneducated short sighted people, otherwise it was not an issue.

it will be another constitutional mess. Ordinances need parliament approval.

Not really. The whole thing about ordinance is that they don't need parliamentary approval. They are executive orders. My knowledge on constitutional matters are quite weak but I think enacted ordinances might have period of expiry attached to them and may require parliament approval thereon to continue to be enacted. In which case it would turn into a law.

For example, Gen. Musharraf issued the National Command Authority or NCA Ordinance during his presidency, which later was (or had to be) enacted by PPP government as law after 2008.
----

TBH, to depoliticize the service chiefs extension issue we need to actually politicize it even more (ironic, I know). The executive must continue to have the power to appoint the service chiefs but their extension should be subject to approval by parliamentary standing committee comprising of all party representation, and this should be done after interviewing the candidate as to why it is necessary for him to be given extension. I know a lot of people don't have good impression about our politicians but you would be surprised how thorough some of them are and can be in these matters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom