What's new

Export bids for JF-17 Thunder Multirole Lightweight Fighter Aircraft

we have been hearing that since Block 1 but the rule is, "don't fix what 's not broken" and the Thunder airframe is perfect for what it is designed to do, the only changes required under the skin and maybe some new teeth.

My guess is that a Block-IV would already be in development process. It may involve changes to the airframe. However, this is not the thread for it.

we have been hearing that since Block 1 but the rule is, "don't fix what 's not broken" and the Thunder airframe is perfect for what it is designed to do, the only changes required under the skin and maybe some new teeth.
We should have a Block IV thread for this conversation. It does not feel right to leave lengthy lengthy (lambi lambi choRna) here :whistle:

Are you accusing me of boasting here?
No bhai. It was a self-deprecating post. Context.

Also, I thought I was posting on the JF-17 export thread... LOL. I am getting old. This is the right thread to discuss hypothetical Block-IV.
As much as I would like a Block 4, but with the expected j10 induction the prospects for block 4 seem very dim.
Quite true. But then again, Block-IV does not have to be here next year. Its development could be slow but sure.

Some notes on the Argentinian JF-17 interest.

China offered the JF-17 when a delegation visited Argentina this spring. Argentinian AF is looking for a jet for quite a while.

This is a budget request, so the first step on a looong road.

If the budget is approved (not certain yet), it means the department of defense is allowed to spend it on aircraft, however, the government does not have this amount of money available in hard currency and will not easily get a credit line either given the economic situation. So maybe payment with commodities (raw materials, crops, beef et cetera) is a possibility. Still, to send a box of beef for every part you subsequently require is not practical...
Remember the five Super Etendards they got from France, they still have not flown.

The Chinese should make sure it does not have UK parts in it, like the Martin-Baker ejection seats PAF uses. Or else the UK will block it.

So not a done deal, of course I hope these hurdles will be overcome.
Let us follow this closely :-)

New rift in Argentina government over purchase of military aircraft from China
The aircraft are intended for air control and airspace surveillance.

By
The Rio Times

September 22, 2021

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - A new division in the Argentine government - after the resignation and replacement of 5 ministers - has been generated by the negotiations to purchase military aircraft from China. The procedure caused a division between the heads of Economy and Defense, Martín Guzmán and Jorge Taiana, respectively.

According to newspaper La Nación, the 2022 budget bill - sent last week by the Ministry of Economy to Congress - contains an authorization to manage credit for US$664 million, aimed at acquiring 12 supersonic JF-17 Thunder-Block III aircraft of Chinese origin. The aircraft are intended for ...

I know and I always like his posts and was a bit taken aback by that particular post

nope .... was only trying to avoid the hypothetical discussion about the possible blk-IV on this thread ....

btw Bamu shaib is one of the rarest of rare kind of forum member .... Urdu main khatey hai na Najeeb ul Tarfain ....

Doesn't anyone else think it'd be very difficult for Iraqis to buy Thunders? They've already bought F-16s, plus they were having difficulty keeping them airworthy. The global oil prices have slumped greatly as well, so I doubt they have the capital.
If you are comparing oil price of 2013 with current then your statement is correct. However, chart shows that after hitting 10 years low ($19) in July 2020, the oil price again started fluctuating between $70 to 80.

Due to exit of US troops from Iraq, Lockheed Martin personnel who were assigned to maintain F-16s also left. It appears Iraqi AF at present do not have operational and technical expertise to run these aircraft smoothly.

Furthermore, F-16s supplied to Iraqi AF were not configured to carry potent weapon systems.

PAF is operating F-16s since early 1980s and have a very matured maintenance infrastructure and their pilots are very skilled and experienced. Hence there is a possibility that Iraqi AF seeking training contract for their pilots and maintenance personnel from PAF facilities so that they could be able to operate their F-16s smoothly.

If you are comparing oil price of 2013 with current then your statement is correct. However, chart shows that after hitting 10 years low ($19) in July 2020, the oil price again started fluctuating between $70 to 80.

Due to exit of US troops from Iraq, Lockheed Martin personnel who were assigned to maintain F-16s also left. It appears Iraqi AF at present do not have operational and technical expertise to run these aircraft smoothly.

Furthermore, F-16s supplied to Iraqi AF were not configured to carry potent weapon systems.

PAF is operating F-16s since early 1980s and have a very matured maintenance infrastructure and their pilots are very skilled and experienced. Hence there is a possibility that Iraqi AF seeking training contract for their pilots and maintenance personnel from PAF facilities so that they could be able to operate their F-16s smoothly.
I doubt many Pakistani engineers would want to go to Iraq, secondly LM would be a better organisation to train Iraqi engineers.
Pilots I understand, maybe even basic maintenance.
But the tweet mentions the JF-17 program, over which I was confused.

I doubt many Pakistani engineers would want to go to Iraq, secondly LM would be a better organisation to train Iraqi engineers.
Pilots I understand, maybe even basic maintenance.
But the tweet mentions the JF-17 program, over which I was confused.
PAF engineers, pilots and technicians were being sent on deputation, which was discontinued after invasion of Kuwait.

IMO Iraq AF is at present more interested to re-structure and re-organised its AF after exit of US forces.

JF-17 may be considered in later stage.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom