What's new

Export bids for JF-17 Thunder Multirole Lightweight Fighter Aircraft

Military Strategy

JF-17 Thunder exports estimated at $5 billion
August 11, 2010 in Pakistan
Tags: JF-17 Thunders

Pakistani fighter Catic JF-17 Thunder has been demonstrated at an airshow in Farnborough.

It has attracted the interest of a number of countries including Azerbaijan.
JF-17 Thunder fighter was initially developed by Chinese engineers for the needs of the Pakistani army. First fighters JF-17 Thunder (Chinese FC-1 Saolun) were supplied to the Pakistani armed forces in 2007.

Now the project is entering a new level and the Chinese-Pakistani producers are searching ways to the international market.

Among potential customers who demonstrated interest to the innovation are Azerbaijan, Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Venezuela and a number of other countries.

Earlier, the press spread information about an agreement with Azerbaijan regarding the purchase of at least 24 JF-17 fighters estimated at about $17m each, which envisions the volumes of supply at about $500,000,000.

The JF-17 fighter is 14 m in length, the wing span is 8.5 m and it is equipped with RD-93 engine.

The capacity of the plane is 3720 kg, the battle radius at the fighter version is 1200 km, maximal flight range is 3000 km. It can be equipped with different types of air-air and air-land rockets, as well as air bombs.

:pakistan:

regards

Congratulations !!! So has the deal signed ? When is Azerbaijan getting JF's ?

24 * 17 = $408 million.

I think we have an arithematical problem.

24 * 17 = $408 million.

I think we have an arithematical problem.
Azerbaijan is one of the costumer reported to be interested in 24 Aircrafts......Others are

Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Venezuela and a number of other countries.

However i am sure Turkey is just speculation.......

Azerbaijan is one of the costumer reported to be interested in 24 Aircrafts......Others are

However i am sure Turkey is just speculation.......

Turkey is not intrested for induction purposes...:coffee:
perhaps all they are lloking for is to exploit its market potential toget there fair sahre of revenue generation.

they can contribute in dvvelopment and upgradation of avionics/radar and keeping in mind the export potential, can get there fair share money...

they might only induct a squadron or two to show world the true worth of the plane.

saying all this, it is only speculation as yet, my personal views, you must not quote me on this... :tup:

regards!

I am not sure if we can sell it to Iran or would want to.

But Azerbaijan and Srilanka are well good enough possibilities.

So are all the nations that have or are retiring the soviet Mig 21/23/27s.

Pakistan can ask South African and Brazilian firms to integrate more into it so they may take on South American Market.

I think your exports will come if the chinease PLAAF order some to give the plane some real; credibility.

would you not agree.

I think your exports will come if the chinease PLAAF order some to give the plane some real; credibility.

would you not agree.

well it would be great but not necessary...there is a genuine reason that i think you would not believe...JFT will cost more for PLAAF than PAF....how come? because JFT is a JV between PAF (GoP) and CAC while PLAAF has not contributed any funds for this project so they will not get rebates in the shape of profit reimbursement as will for the PAF and secondly F-5 had a great success abroad even though not selected by USAF for domestic service.

well it would be great but not necessary...there is a genuine reason that i think you would not believe...JFT will cost more for PLAAF than PAF....how come? because JFT is a JV between PAF (GoP) and CAC while PLAAF has not contributed any funds for this project so they will not get rebates in the shape of profit reimbursement as will for the PAF and secondly F-5 had a great success abroad even though not selected by USAF for domestic service.

i agree! i surpose another reason is engine can't make by itself,it's important. PLAAF had better j10/j11,and in the near future(maby 2015),the 5TH Generation Fighter will developed.
it's hard to another Logistics for jf17

would you not agree.

Looking at the history of Pakistan AF, its usage of western & Chinese fighters at the same time, it having integrated western avionics and weapon systems with Chinese platforms, having experience with vast variety of western aircraft in the inventory of other AFs, it using the plane and making it its work horse as well as its main fighter lends it more credibility compared to CAF using it.

PAF being small, cash strapped, makes the best out of whatever it has, thus it using the JF-17 has more important message to sent to the world compared to CAF sending such a message by using the plane.

Storm Force..I think your exports will come if the Chinese PLAAF order some to give the plane some real; credibility.

Would Egyptian Air Force's orders gives credibility? Aren't you naive, don't J-7s huge orders by not less than 17 nations in the past gives the credibility to order a much better Fighter Jet with JFT being the best replacement for those nations operating J-7s.

Back
Top Bottom