What's new

Exploring Saudi Arabia's marine wonderland

Moving the latest two updates to the next page.

Great diving video from Yanbu and Al-Wajh along the tropical Red Sea.

The other video is spearfishing in Yanbu in the Red Sea.

Red_Sea.jpg

wssr37.jpg

2wgszfa.jpg

stunning scenery and photography
thanks for sharing

You are very welcome Irfan.

You can rent scuba diving gear in Yanbu and explore the famous red sea marine life.
Don´t forget to eat the fresh fish from the fish market... Egyptian vendors make unforgettable oven baked fish out side fish market.
Yanbu is a historic city, it takes you back to history. For Muslims, Yanbu´s historic connection is equally fascinating and the road to Madina is breath taking. You start feeling that you exist in hundreds of years back.
Stop by at mount Uhud jog your history knowledge.

Very correct Ottoman. Yanbu is a ancient city with great potential for mass-tourism.

Also Yanbu is famous for its yearly flower festival. One of the biggest in the world.

See here below.

Yanbu Flower Show enters Guinness Book of Records | Yanbu Industrial College

I have spent some time in Yanbu and also in Royal commission but that was decade ago, honestly never seen the flower festival, must be a relatively new thing, but i have very sweet memories with Yanbu.
I used to be a crazy young man ;)

I have spent some time in Yanbu and also in Royal commission but that was decade ago, honestly never seen the flower festival, must be a relatively new thing, but i have very sweet memories with Yanbu.
I used to be a crazy young man ;)

Yanbu is an ancient city and the nearby area of Hijaz is also beautiful. The authorities have even started to renovate all of those old buildings and houses in Yanbu which is a very good thing.

Yes, that flower festival is a fairly new idea. It's very popular among families, children, locals and expats alike.

From earlier this year;

Unraveling the mysteries of the Red Sea: A new reef coral species from Saudi Arabia
Aug 18, 2014

unravelingth.png

These are colonies of the new hard coral species Pachyseris inattesa from the Arabian Red Sea in situ. Credit: Dr Francesca Benzoni​

The hard corals primarily responsible for the construction of coral reefs around the world have attracted the attention of taxonomists for hundreds of years. Despite the important role such corals play in building what are arguably the world's most diverse ecosystems, coral reefs in some parts of the world still hold surprises for modern scientists.

An international team of scientists has recently described a new hard coral species, Pachyseris inattesa, from the Saudi Arabian Red Sea. The study, led by the University of Milano-Biccocain collaboration with the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), highlights the opportunities for scientific discovery in a region that has historically been difficult to access.

Corals in the genus Pachyseris are reef dwellers often referred to as "elephant skin corals" or "corduroy corals" due to their wrinkled appearance. Tullia I Terraneo, the lead author of the paper, explains that the name for the new species was chosen because of the reaction she and Francesca Benzoni, the co-author who collected the species, had when examining a specimen closely. "We were looking at the SEM [scanning electron microscope] images, and realized that we had something completely unexpected." The word 'inattesa' translates from Italian as 'unforeseen'.

The coral indeed has a superficial resemblance with some common and widespread coral species of the genus Leptoseris and this led others in the past to misidentify it. "After detailed micromorphological and molecular analyses, we can confirm that this is a unique and novel lineage," Terraneo says. The new species was recorded from different reef habitats along the coast of Saudi Arabia, between 10m-35m depth and to date its distribution seems to be limited to the Red Sea region.

1-unravelingth.png

This is the skeleton of the new hard coral species Pachyseris inattesa described from the Arabian Red Sea. Credit: Dr Francesca Benzoni​

The finding is the latest outcome from the "Biodiversity in the Saudi Arabian Red Sea" project organized by Michael Berumen, co-author of the study and PI of the Reef Ecology Lab at KAUST. This project was initiated in 2012 and has brought numerous scientists and taxonomic experts to the Red Sea from around world, with the overall aim to increase our understanding of the biological diversity present in Saudi Arabian coral reefs. Although the Red Sea played a pivotal role in the early history of scientific works on coral reefs, the region has been understudied in more recent times.

The discovery of Pachyseris inattesa highlights that our knowledge regarding the Red Sea is still far from complete, and that our understanding of hard coral diversity globally is likewise not perfect.

"As far as we can tell, this species is endemic to the Red Sea," Terraneo said. "Although our current sampling has only identified it in Saudi Arabia, I suspect that further research in other Red Sea countries would reveal a broader range."

In any case, continued discovery of new species in the Red Sea has been steadily increasing the known endemism of the region. "Findings such as those presented in this paper continue to highlight how special the Red Sea is and provide even more reasons to make sure that conservation efforts in the region preserve these natural treasures, including those that we have yet to discover," said Berumen.

Read more at: Unraveling the mysteries of the Red Sea: A new reef coral species from Saudi Arabia

Some photos of the coral reefs in the Red Sea (second only to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia) along the Saudi Arabian Red Sea coastline.

yf3.jpg

yf2.jpg

yf.jpg

grouper_786800i.jpg

2ce12d1.jpg

644gid.jpg

Also hopefully humans also learn to pollute less so marvels such as the Red Sea and its astonishing marine life will remain as they are and even improve their environment. The problem is that almost 1/3 of the world's entire ship traffic is going through the Red Sea and the oil which creates pollution.:mad:

North West Saudi Arabia by David Smith, on Flickr

The Beach by fahad aloudah, on Flickr

Farasan island - Saudi Arabia by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

aramco beach by ahmed alamri, on Flickr

IMG_4165 by Amani Samad, on Flickr

Red Sea coast
by Creative sense, on Flickr

8565945484_6148556e98_b.jpg

Farasan Is cruise by Arthur Anker, on Flickr

2198221582_ee14ed7225_b.jpg

Jazan (2) by zak.abb, on Flickr

I wonder if tourists will one day be able to freely travel between nearby Eilat (Israel), Aqaba (Jordan) and Haql (KSA) in the Gulf of Aqaba? Would be cool if that occured.

Last edited:
Red Sea hmmm. I've been in Egypt a few times. Come to think of it, I was in Sharm El Sheikh, we went to an island which was next to Saudi Arabia. So I've almost been there:D

Anyway, snorkeling in the Red Sea is a slice of heaven. 8 days of baking in the heat and swimming with the fish. Last went in februari 2014. I'm afraid to go now, hopefully it'll be more safe in the near future.

Red Sea hmmm. I've been in Egypt a few times. Come to think of it, I was in Sharm El Sheikh, we went to an island which was next to Saudi Arabia. So I've almost been there:D

Anyway, snorkeling in the Red Sea is a slice of heaven. 8 days of baking in the heat and swimming with the fish. Last went in februari 2014. I'm afraid to go now, hopefully it'll be more safe in the near future.

I visited Sharm el-Sheikh as a toddler, lol. I know that Sinai and nearby Northwestern Hijaz are very similar.

In terms of islands then KSA has almost 2000 islands if I recall. Most are uninhabited but the potential is enormous for tourism.

1,290 islands in the Kingdom untapped | Front Page | Saudi Gazette

Regarding the Red Sea then indeed the marine life of the Red Sea is very rich (it's a tropical sea after all - the most northernmost located one too) and it has the second biggest coral reef. The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is number 1.

Also the Saudi Arabian Red Sea coastline is the longest of all countries bordering the Red Sea and arguably the most untouched and with most islands.

Many excellent photos, articles and videos in this thread.

Southern Sinai is safe. It's the northern part of Sinai that is unstable. In any case I would avoid traveling to Egypt right now.

I visited Sharm el-Sheikh as a toddler, lol. I know that Sinai and nearby Northwestern Hijaz are very similar.

In terms of islands then KSA has almost 2000 islands if I recall. Most are uninhabited but the potential is enormous for tourism.

1,290 islands in the Kingdom untapped | Front Page | Saudi Gazette

Regarding the Red Sea then indeed the marine life of the Red Sea is very rich (it's a tropical sea after all - the most northernmost located one too) and it has the second biggest coral reef. The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is number 1.

Also the Saudi Arabian Red Sea coastline is the longest of all countries bordering the Red Sea and arguably the most untouched and with most islands.

Many excellent photos, articles and videos in this thread.

Southern Sinai is safe. It's the northern part of Sinai that is unstable. In any case I would avoid traveling to Egypt right now.

Yep, and Egypt is dirt cheap right now too. It's funny I was in Marsa Alam in februari 2014, and the day I returned, a new batch of Dutch tourists arrived. The next day, when I was back in holland, I saw on the news how they'd been evacuated because of the danger. 1 day in Egypt:D

As for Saudi, if it wants to develop it's snorkeling/diving tourism industry, perhaps they could create some 'free zones', like I envision for Iranian Persian Gulf islands (meaning no sharia, allow booze and bikinis). It might also become a nice laboratory for democracy/reforms. Let people do whatever they want on those islands, and tourism revenue could skyrocket. I think Saudi is more safe than Egypt right now? The islands at least?

Yep, and Egypt is dirt cheap right now too. It's funny I was in Marsa Alam in februari 2014, and the day I returned, a new batch of Dutch tourists arrived. The next day, when I was back in holland, I saw on the news how they'd been evacuated because of the danger. 1 day in Egypt:D

As for Saudi, if it wants to develop it's snorkeling/diving tourism industry, perhaps they could create some 'free zones', like I envision for Iranian Persian Gulf islands (meaning no sharia, allow booze and bikinis). It might also become a nice laboratory for democracy/reforms. Let people do whatever they want on those islands, and tourism revenue could skyrocket. I think Saudi is more safe than Egypt right now? The islands at least?

Hopefully they got their money refunded.

There is enormous potential really. I guess that this thread speaks for itself. There has been increasing talk of creating a real tourism sector and introduce a "tourism visa" but so far nothing concrete yet although I believe that it will eventually happen.

KSA is already the 15th most visited country in the world but that's mostly due to hajj, umrah and business. There are to this day few actual tourists from abroad who visit solely for tourism although the numbers have increased especially among Westerners in recent years.

But advertising tourism among the Muslim public alone (along with hajj and umrah trips) would be a potential goldmine.

This thread below might interest you.

Tourist visas to be introduced in KSA

Well, compounds are for that in KSA.:lol:

The islands are fully safe and so is most of KSA.

Yes, but if they want to really expand tourism, they should make 'western islands', where there is no Sharia etc, so that millions of Westerners can go there and just do whatever they want (why not, it's just islands of sand with nice water around it). So sure, muslim travel is important, but why not have cake and eat it too? Make a few little 'Dubais' there, for Western tourism only, put in some shiny new buildings/resorts, quad rentals, dune safaris and lots of snorkeling/diving. Because indeed, it's probably more safe than Egypt, and the sea is the same, as are the beautiful fish.

I just wonder what the conservative clerics would think of such an idea? Or Egypt for that matter, taking away their only bread (tourism).

Yes, but if they want to really expand tourism, they should make 'western islands', where there is no Sharia etc, so that millions of Westerners can go there and just do whatever they want (why not, it's just islands of sand with nice water around it). So sure, muslim travel is important, but why not have cake and eat it too? Make a few little 'Dubais' there, for Western tourism only, put in some shiny new buildings/resorts, quad rentals, dune safaris and lots of snorkeling/diving. Because indeed, it's probably more safe than Egypt, and the sea is the same, as are the beautiful fish.

I just wonder what the conservative clerics would think of such an idea? Or Egypt for that matter, taking away their only bread (tourism).

Compounds are such places or could be potentially turned into such a thing de facto but I doubt that it will happen de jure.

The Muslim market alone is 1.7 billion big. Millions upon millions of wealthy Muslims in the West. Millions of wealthy Muslim elsewhere too.

Western tourists can practically go to all other GCC states if they want nightlife and partying. I don't see this happening in KSA in the foreseeable future. Visiting KSA would thus be something unique for them besides I highly doubt that every tourist wishes to indulge in partying and alcohol.

If they can't live without partying or alcohol for 2 weeks then KSA is not the place for them.

Several enormous industrial cities in KSA that are about to be built or have kickstarted will have such facilities. Besides there are actual tourism resorts in KSA already.

The clergy would obviously be against it. If I recall they were the ones that pressured the government to abandon the plans of creating a tourism visa. For now at least.

You should check this thread out for more news and read the articles/posts posted.

Tourist visas to be introduced in KSA

New islands created in the Red Sea yet again after volcanic eruptions

In recent years several new volcanic islands have emerged in the Red Sea due to volcanic eruptions. More specifically in the waters close to KSA and Yemen. Most recently a few weeks ago.

This video is 3 weeks old.

This on 3 years old.

It's quite amazing really.

KAUST wrote a paper on the subject not long ago.

Plate separation births two volcanic islands | KAUST Discovery

Another article from another source.

Birth of two volcanic islands in the southern Red Sea : Nature Communications : Nature Publishing Group

Might interest you brothers.

@Full Moon @azzo @BLACKEAGLE @Ahmed Jo @JUBA @Falcon29 @Indos @Halimi @ebray @Belew_Kelew etc.

Last edited:
@Saif al-Arab

Thank for tagging me brother, yup, indeed interesting, I will put my comment here so that I can find this page again easier......

@Saif al-Arab

I wish you well also, I hope you can accomplish your dream as soon as possible while having very good faith in Islam.

It is me on the picture, in case we can meet someday............ :partay:

Yup, I have been to Jeddah as well........... :-)

Back
Top Bottom