What's new

Expected feautures of JF-17 Block 3. Your take?

More composite materials instead of alluminium body. Makes it stealthy and light weight.

Chinese IRST. ( its very good for surprises)

New Landing gear to lift it off the ground its too low in my opnion when on runway. Also that enables more room for a cruise missile or a drop tank there.

Onboard oxygen generation system (may be, not as important)

Full Fly by Wire system.

Side stick instead of russian style mid stick.

Deployable parachute if engine or a component fails.. To decrease speed and tailspin mid air (safety)

1200 modules chinese AESA radar with atleast 225 km track/lock ability. Possibly both sides coverage too left and right of aircraft (chinese have the radar with these capabilities )

True fire and forget 170 km ranged air to air missle.
Chinese have Air to air missiles of 350 km range already but they are very long and huge . we need nerfed down Sd-10C perhaps.

Avonics that enable re-routing a cruise missle or air to air missiles fired by friendly jf 17 aircraft, chinese are experimenting with this.

Engine improvement to have thrust of 100 KN atleast.

Helmet mounted Display HMD, and a MFD glass hud from j-20.

Total integration with Beidu settalite Navigation system for navigation and weapon grade track/guidance. Its total blackout for enemy and extremely hard to jam, hack.

Lastly perhaps a dedicated EW jammer and disrupter variant that could possibly house reconicense equipment.
to realize all you mentioned, we need a more powerful engine.

1. IRST/LR
(similar to the J-10B/C)

screenshot-eng-chinamil-com-cn-2018-12-08-04-22-09.png

2. Side Stick
(similar to the F-16)

with side stick i have a question, what if the pilot 's right arm or hand get injured in the battle?

to realize all you mentioned, we need a more powerful engine.

with side stick i have a question, what if the pilot 's right arm or hand get injured in the battle?

Our f-16s have had side sticks for 40 years. Its about pilot preference. Gives more ease of mind to the pilot when flying. Odds of getting shot on one arm are very slim in 2020 onward battles.

But its a fair point. Its a pilots wish.

Our f-16s have had side sticks for 40 years. Its about pilot preference. Gives more ease of mind to the pilot when flying. Odds of getting shot on one arm are very slim in 2020 onward battles.

But its a fair point. Its a pilots wish.
my preference is always center not side; due to challenges with left handed/right handed pilots

A newer power plant and use of more composite materials in the airframe tbh I would loved it PAF made this part of Project Azm and inducted a 4 Generation+ aircraft with some stealthy features and alongside Chinese SatNaV ! A new landing gear for enablement of carrying cruise missles! More hardpoints and lastly Chinese BVRM.

A newer power plant and use of more composite materials in the airframe tbh I would loved it PAF made this part of Project Azm and inducted a 4 Generation+ aircraft with some stealthy features and alongside Chinese SatNaV ! A new landing gear for enablement of carrying cruise missles! More hardpoints and lastly Chinese BVRM.

It can already carry cruise missiles i was talking about middle mount in the center of the aircraft belly. Space is there just cant put a missile in that place cuz then it touches the ground.

Normally two cruise missiles are carried by JF 17 one on each wing.

True fire and forget 170 km ranged air to air missle.
Chinese have Air to air missiles of 350 km range already but they are very long and huge . we need nerfed down Sd-10C perhaps.
PL-15 is coming with a range of 200 km @Foxtrot Delta :angel:
Agreed About the Aesa radar, more composites, and perhaps more fly by wire systems but I highly doubt PAF is going to be replacing the power plant. Though it would help greatly if we got a 100kn plus thrust engine.
RD-93MA or WS-13E with a thrust of 22,000 lbs is confirmed and coming, because AESA needs more power @wali87 :angel:

RD-93MA or WS-13E with a thrust of 22,000 lbs is confirmed and coming, because AESA needs more power @wali87 :angel:

Not just the missile's range, but Max speed, maneuverability in all parts of its flight, and its ability to resist jamming or other tricks. Range definitely helps though. I saw the Aim-54 at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's annex at Washington Dulles International Airport a few months back. Huge missile on a huge plane. It was meant to use that missile against large soviet bombers.

What you are talking about is a modern day AIM-54!!!
If a 200 km is in the works, we can see what effect it will have by just looking at the performance of the IM-54 in DCS carried by the F-14 against modern day aircraft with missiles like the AIM-120, but in PAF's case, this kind of missile would be fielded on a reduced RCS JF-17.

Videos to look at:

PL-15 IS TOO BIG AND LONG! Also it has maximum range of 400 KM effective. Thats too much for the likes of jf 17 to handle . not to mention pl-15 is active radar guided missile.

Im talkimg about true fire and forget 170km minimum range missile . emphasis on fire and forget. With realistic weight that jf 17 can take good numbers in sky.

I think PL-15 is too big for JF 17. I mean i could be wrong.

PL-15 IS TOO BIG AND LONG! Also it has maximum range of 400 KM effective. Thats too much for the likes of jf 17 to handle . not to mention pl-15 is active radar guided missile.

Im talkimg about true fire and forget 170km minimum range missile . emphasis on fire and forget. With realistic weight that jf 17 can take good numbers in sky.

The PL-15 you're referring to isn't called the PL-15.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/pl-15.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL-15

im talking about this one. its too big for jf-17 too long i think.

However, while the PL-12 (SD-10A) has a range of approximately 100 kilometers, the P-15 is reportedly capable of destroying targets at a distance of 300km or even 400km, Kashin pointed out.

The "PL-15" designation refers to a smaller missile with a range of 150-200 km, comparable to the AIM-120D according to some folks.

The large missile first seen in 2016, with a supposed range of 300-500+ kilometers, has an unknown name.

The "PL-15" designation refers to a smaller missile with a range of 150-200 km, comparable to the AIM-120D according to some folks.

The large missile first seen in 2016, with a supposed range of 300-500+ kilometers, has an unknown name.

i see.

No you're probably get wrong PL-15 has not a range of 400 KM, May be you're confused with VLRAAM which has a range of 400 km and PL-15 has max range 200 km and comparable to AIM-120D, and PL-15 is fitted to J-10 which is few feet longer than JF-17, here is VLRAAM @Foxtrot Delta
VLRAAM
J-16_PL-15.jpg

J-16_PL-15a.jpg

PL-X

The latest images (November 2016) indicated a new large VLRAAM is under development and its designation is unknown. Compared to PL-12,it has 4 tail control fins only (coupled with TVC?) and is significantly longer and thicker than PL-12 (length 5.7m, diameter 300mm). Its large size suggests the missile actually belongs to a new class of VLRAAM and not a PL-12 replacement. As the result it cannot be carried internally by the 4th generation fighters such as J-20 but is expected to be carried externally by 3.5th generation long-range fighters/interceptors such as J-11D and J-16. However it may still be carried externally by J-20 underneath its wings. The missile appears to be propelled by a dual pulse rocket motor in favor of a ramjet engine, which has a smaller drag and a slimmer size. It is also speculated to fly a semi-ballistic trajectory similar to American AIM-54 in order to achieve an extra long range (range>300km, speed>Mach 4, cruising altitude 30km). PL-X is believed to feature an advancedguidance system including a two-way datalink and a new active AESA seeker with enhanced ECCM capability. Before the launch the missile must obtain the target information via datalink from an AWACS, a land-based long-range radar or even a satellite. The launch aircraft disengages right after releasing the missile. After the initial ascent stage, the missile may use Beidou/GPS+INS+datalink guidance during the mid-course cruising stage. At the terminal diving stage, in combination with the AESA seeker, it may also use an IIR seeker as indicated by a small optical window in its nose, which further increases its kill probability amid severe jamming. Therefore this VLRAAM could pose a serious threat to high-value aerial targets deep behind the enemy line such as AWACS and tankers, and currently is the only type in this class. It was rumored in November 2016 that a PL-X was test-fired successfully from a J-16.

Jump to navigationJump to search
The PL-15 (Chinese: 霹雳-15; pinyin: Pī Lì-15; literally: "Thunderbolt-15") is an active radar-guided very long range air-to-air missile developed by the People's Republic of China. Its range is comparable to that of the European Meteor (missile) and the Russian R-37 (missile)PL-15 is inducted into military service in 2016 and is being carried by the J-10C, J-16and J-20 aircraft.[1] The missile features an active electronically scanned array radar, which makes evasion difficult for the most agile of fighter jets.[2] It is 4 meters long and incorporates a dual-thrust rocket motor. Upon launch, the missile reaches a speed of mach 4 and is capable of engaging targets at a distance of 150 km.

Compared to Chinese previous generation PL-12, which boasts a maximum range of 100 km, the new and larger PL-15 has a longer radar detection range and increased anti-jamming capability. During the 2018 Airshow China, two J-20 fighters of PLAAF displays their internal payload, with each carrying four PL-15 and two PL-10E in its internal weapons bay. PL-15 effectively increases Chinese Anti-Access/Area Denial capability by targeting key "enabler" targets, such as Aerial refueling and AEW&C aircraft.

Military expert Fu Qianshao suggested that China was developing an advanced long-range missile air-to-air missile capable of hitting targets at a distance of up to 400 km.[
PL-15
PL-15 vs PL-12.jpg

J-20A-weapons-PL-10-PL-15-Zhuhai-2018-XXL-1-768x432.jpg

PL-15.jpg
@Foxtrot Delta

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom