What's new

European fighters become 25% cheaper

but what if rafale and F16 both pass the test ?? arent our ministers going to choose f16 for its lo price ?? it should be all i hands of IAF cause even when a plane passes the test, there are some other technicalities which are important..but here any plane passing thetest goes to the hands of ministers to decide..even if one has an edge over the other.

Trust air-force ,
After studying every report and origin of sub-system . Guarantee of spare-parts , performance against the req of air-force . The best three will be chosen and of those lowest bidder will win .

Last time i checked we were about to revive the deal for 3 type 214 subs at the cost of 1 billion euros and 4 french andrasta class subs for unknown amount.

those r the key words....r they yet..?

This is a great opportunity for Pakistan to buy whatever European hardware that was planned especially naval hardware.

But Pakistan must act quick to seal the agreements and shouldn't let bureaucracy be a hurdle.

Is this Pakistan navy section ?? How pakistan navy purchase(If any) related to Eurofighter's price decrease, which is a part of Indian MRCA.
Stick to the topic, donot mixup ur un-necessary comments.

As long as price is concerned, its still more by looking at no of fighters required + ToT and some weapon systems.
I think chances are more for Rafael or Super Hornets, I really wish IAF should go for Rafael with M-88 Eco engines(90kN) , second choice could be Eurofighter.

Yup. Awesome timing. But there are many European fighters. I hope this bidding gets finalized before Europe recovers :P

Is this Pakistan navy section ?? How pakistan navy purchase(If any) related to Eurofighter's price decrease, which is a part of Indian MRCA.
Stick to the topic, donot mixup ur un-necessary comments.

As long as price is concerned, its still more by looking at no of fighters required + ToT and some weapon systems.
I think chances are more for Rafael or Super Hornets, I really wish IAF should go for Rafael with M-88 Eco engines(90kN) , second choice could be Eurofighter.

Sir ji meray par bijli na girayay.Uper bat ho rahi thi kay Euro kamzor ho raha ha is liya EF ki kimat giray gi.Aur ma nay ghalti say kah dia kay hamari navy nay bhi do char chizay ka kharidni ha to is mokay say faida utahaya aur zara jaldi kharid lay.

Bas phir kia tha ap aur ap kay Indian Bhai meray pichay hath dho kar par gay.

It does not make sense to opt for an European fighter, for they have become cheaper coz of depreciation of their currency. Today their economy is weak , maybe a couple of years of now it might bounce back or become stronger than ever before..nobody can predict these things... afterall we won't be paying for these fighters in one go , it will be paid over a period of 8-10 yrs.

Last edited:
It does not make sense to opt for an European fighter, for they have become cheaper coz of depreciation of their currency. Today their economy is weak , maybe a couple of years of now it might bounce back or become stronger than ever before..nobody can predict these things... afterall we won't be paying for these fighters in one go , it will be paid over a period of 8-10 yrs.

You pay what is agreed initially. The unit price doesn't change over time.

Originally Posted by Aimar
but what if rafale and F16 both pass the test ?? arent our ministers going to choose f16 for its lo price ?? it should be all i hands of IAF cause even when a plane passes the test, there are some other technicalities which are important..but here any plane passing thetest goes to the hands of ministers to decide..even if one has an edge over the other.
Trust air-force ,
After studying every report and origin of sub-system . Guarantee of spare-parts , performance against the req of air-force . The best three will be chosen and of those lowest bidder will win

the fighter which will perform da best will be chosen and not the one which will pass the test and has a lower price tag or due to any political bent !

i agree with u mate but ....
new bids hav been recently submitted during this low euro time and that wont change when euro goes up again (if ever ) and thats makin the beast cost a little low !!!

the fighter which will perform da best will be chosen and not the one which will pass the test and has a lower price tag or due to any political bent !

Few months old article , but worth a look

The Hindu News

MMRCA SQRs emphasize attack potential and ownership costs

August 17, 2009, (Sawf News) - The IAF MMRCA selection process appears to emphasize attack potential and low cost of ownership, not air combat capability.

A news report in the Hindu on the IAF MMRCA selection process makes on mention of the close combat capability of the contenders.

It says the contending aircraft will be tested for stability, control, safety issues, range and endurance during the flight evaluations with evaluating teams also assessing the capabilities of the radar, navigation equipment, self-defense suites and electronic warfare devices.

Armaments will be tested in the final phase.

Here is a translation of the above SQR: The IAF wants the aircraft that can deliver a given weapon load farthest with accuracy and return safely.

In a refreshing departure from the past, the IAF will also assess the cost of ownership of each aircraft, taking into account factors such as the life of the engine, the cost of overhaul/replacement of engine and the cost to maintain these aircraft by establishing ground support.

"We do not compare one aircraft with another, but evaluate against its ability to meet our requirements and arrive at a through and methodical conclusion. There are no extra points for anyone crossing the minimum [SQR] requirements," an IAF officer familiar with the evaluation trials told the Hindu.

Last edited:
According to wiki,
Mig 35,JAS Gripen,F-16,F-18,Rafael,EF are cheaper than other respectively.
That means,the one who fits/completes all the requirement of IAF will win.
If Mig does it than it is the winner.If not than pointer will go to JAS 39 and so on.

No, we will be paying in Euros, price of the aircraft has remained same euros eg lets say Eurofighter = 80 million Euros. But Euro it self has depricated wrt to dollars or Rs. hence 80 million euros which use to equal
to $120 million (at exch rate 1$=1.5 Euro) will now be equal to $96 million(at exch rate 1$=1.2 Euro). Hence when the Euro appreciate vis-a-vis USD, then we will have to pay more.

Last edited:
Hey Its not at all politics.....

IAF will play a very important and major role....

They will give a list of planes, which passed all the tests, to the government and then govt will decide which one to buy...

Its not like if F-16 failed then also it will be inducted..same is the case with Rafale.....

and I guess it will be 2-3 planes in the final list......

BTW American planes are cheaper than the french:azn:

So if F-16 wins the competition and that bird is certainly gonna be cheaper than the Europeans except Gripen, pls dont tell me that IAF will select that plane. I mean, F16 is a good plane but PAF is operating them for more than 2 decades, that plane should have been rejected at the very beginning of these trials. Even Lockheed Martin knew that this plane alone cant influence India hence they purposely tied the F35 deal to it.

We must not forget that we dont buy fighters only based on their competencies, government to government relations, past history of maintenance and support and other factors are all inter linked.

I dont read too much in the India-US friendship, the US cannot be trusted. Lets face it, the Americans are not going out of Afghanistan for a long time and they will need the Pakistanis to do the ground job. Now assume that we go with an American fighter in the MMRCA and few years down the line if something goes wrong between in Indo-Pak relations (due to a terrorist attack or whatever), the Americans will certainly not like India to resort to military means, they can very well hold the spares in such situations in a bid to pressurize India.

Can we trust them?

Back
Top Bottom