What's new

Erdoğan named 'Person of the Year' by Al-Jazeera survey

Valar Dohaeris

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was named 2016's "Person of the Year" in a survey by Al Jazeera's Arabic service on Saturday.

According to Al Jazeera's Arabic service website, around 130,000 people voted in the survey carried out on the Doha-based network's Facebook page.

Erdoğan came out as 2016's "Person of the Year" by bagging 40 percent of the votes.

Omran Daqneesh, the five-year-old Syrian child who was photographed in August 2016 with his face covered in dust and blood after an attack by Assad regime forces, came in second with 34 percent votes.

Slain Tunisian aviation engineer Mohamed Zouari, who was reportedly behind the drone program of Palestinian group Hamas, came in third with 17 percent votes.

http://www.dailysabah.com/life/2017/01/08/erdogan-named-person-of-the-year-by-al-jazeera-survey

Erdoğan foiled the FETO-backed coup d'etat attempt without breaking a sweat. He doesn't need this. While there is something to be said about Omran Daqneesh who lived through and survived the horrors of Assad regime at such a young age. / *Kanye Out* /

VBX16AS.jpg

Last edited:
Person of the year - for what? For sacking 40k school and college teachers? For sacking or detaining 50k civil servants or employees of PSUs without trial or formal charges? For ranting about his political opponent every time he visits other countries? His antics make China look like Switzerland and the Gestapo like the staff at Disneyland.

This man currently needs extensive medical help.

Turks may or may not be cool with this but Al-Jazeera giving him such an accolade is only going to give the impression to leaders of other countries that this example should be emulated.

Last edited:
Person of the year - for what? For sacking 40k school and college teachers? For sacking or detaining 50k civil servants or employees of PSUs without trial or formal charges? For ranting about his political opponent every time he visits other countries? His antics make China look like Switzerland.

:big_boss::sleep:

cartman-lame.jpg

Easy to say sitting safely in Pakistan.

I occasionally talk about Erdogan with my Turkish friends. Turkey is not a very populous country and the by now the purge is so extensive that most have a story concerning a friend or family member.

It seems people got detained or sacked for airing anti-Erdogan views, often in private, sometimes over lunch, sometimes while blogging.

Imagine that. You go out for lunch with a friend in Lahore and say to him - 'this guy Nawaz is terrible. His policies are a mess. Wish Imran takes over'. Next day you lose your job, get thrown into jail, no info to your relatives and a bleak chance at redemption.

Not for me such a country or leader.

Erdoğan foiled the FETO-backed coup d'etat attempt without breaking a sweat. He doesn't need this. While there is something to be said about Omran Daqneesh who lived through and survived the horrors of Assad regime at such a young age. / *Kanye Out* /

VBX16AS.jpg

This lil' actor has starred in many other ISIS and Al-Nusra productions.

Person of the year - for what? For sacking 40k school and college teachers? For sacking or detaining 50k civil servants or employees of PSUs without trial or formal charges? For ranting about his political opponent every time he visits other countries? His antics make China look like Switzerland and the Gestapo like the staff at Disneyland.

Turks may or may not be cool with this but Al-Jazeera giving him such an accolade is only going to give the impression to leaders of other countries that this example should be emulated.

Look who's talking! Does the name Hasina ring the bell for a so-called champion of human rights like you?

Look who's talking! Does the name Hasina ring the bell for a so-called champion of human rights like you?

Um, actually a champion of human rights would care strongly about even a single detainment. I referred to more than a hundred thousand people affected. Till today none of these people (except a few military officers) have even been charged with an offence.

I'm not especially fond of Hasina but what has Hasina done that equates with Erdogan's conduct?

And if she has sacked and detained 125,000 (and counting) people - ordinary people like school teachers and college lecturers and employees of state-owned companies without trial, without reasons - then shame on her as well!

Easy to say sitting safely in Pakistan.

I occasionally talk about Erdogan with my Turkish friends. Turkey is not a very populous country and the by now the purge is so extensive that most have a story concerning a friend or family member.

It seems people got detained or sacked for airing anti-Erdogan views, often in private, sometimes over lunch, sometimes while blogging.

Imagine that. You go out for lunch with a friend in Lahore and say to him - 'this guy Nawaz is terrible. His policies are a mess. Wish Imran takes over'. Next day you lose your job, get thrown into jail, no info to your relatives and a bleak chance at redemption.

Not for me such a country or leader.

And yet he is so popular he wins every election!

Erdogan survived a US-backed coup attempt..

You must be the only one (apart from Erdogan of course) who believes it was a 'US-backed coup'.

The US has, of course, backed plenty of coups but IMO this is not one of them.

If Erdogan is so sure it was a US backed coup why does he continue to maintain diplomatic relations with the US? Why does he continue to let US warplanes use Turkish airbases? Why has he not presented any evidence to back such a claim? Some emails perhaps? Paper trails of money transfers from the CIA maybe? Confessions of the officers who have been imprisoned? Even Russia has not backed such a preposterous claim.

In my view the US is quite right in not handing over Golen to Erdogan based on a political rivalry. Till date Turkey has not launched a formal extradition request to the US. If they are so sure he is the plotter why not indict him and get him extradited. Instead the only victims are the schoolchildren of Golen's Pakturk school who suffer because their teachers are a soft target.

You must be the only one (apart from Erdogan of course) who believes it was a 'US-backed coup'.

The US has, of course, backed plenty of coups but IMO this is not one of them.

If Erdogan is so sure it was a US backed coup why does he continue to maintain diplomatic relations with the US? Why does he continue to let US warplanes use Turkish airbases? Why has he not presented any evidence to back such a claim? Some emails perhaps? Paper trails of money transfers from the CIA maybe? Confessions of the officers who have been imprisoned? Even Russia has not backed such a preposterous claim.

In my view the US is quite right in not handing over Golen to Erdogan based on a political rivalry. Till date Turkey has not launched a formal extradition request to the US. If they are so sure he is the plotter why not indict him and get him extradited. Instead the only victims are the schoolchildren of Golen's Pakturk school who suffer because their teachers are a soft target.
Nope, everything that happens in the world is the fault of the evil U.S government. The U.S is Omni-potent Omni-present like GOD.:lol:. For you to say the contrary means you have been brainwashed by western propaganda. :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom