What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Told you it was going to be a matter of time before they approve it. :-)

What do they get in return tho? I mean we are a pretty much problematic ally, so do they keep paying? I mean altho we do help them in alot of issues, but regarding isreal we mostly seem to rival them so why do they still pay? Just curious

What do they get in return tho? I mean we are a pretty much problematic ally, so do they keep paying? I mean altho we do help them in alot of issues, but regarding isreal we mostly seem to rival them so why do they still pay? Just curious

That's a great great question, especially now that the Egyptian military -- in all branches -- has been buying major weapons systems and big-ticket platforms from other sources than the US, and in substantial quantities. If we take the navy alone and look at the 2 Mistrals at roughly $1 billion a piece, the FREMM and what, 4 Gowind corvettes so far for $3 billion? Then you have $5 billion for the 4 Type 209 submarines from Germany and what appears to be another purchase of additional Spanish-built corvettes. Add all that up and it's roughly around $10 - $15 billion worth of strictly naval platforms in just the past 5 years?

Then the EAF. 48 Rafales and respective weapons & training. What's that contract's total value? $6-$7 billion?
50 Ka-52 Alligators + weapons & training at roughly $2 billion, or thereabouts?
50 MiG-35s + weapons & training around $4 billion?

S-300VM, no idea what the number was for that but I would guess at least $1.5 billion for the 3 divisions worth?
Then all the APCs and vehicles they've been buying like the Nimrs, Sherpas, Pantheras, RG-33 Scouts and other miscellaneous weapons & platforms, throw in another $1 billion and we're not even including all the weapons they've been using for cretin crunching east & west of Egypt. There's also the 500 T-90's! Total all that up and you have about $30+ billion worth of military purchases in just the past 5 years.

Assuming the US aid is $1.3 billion per year, so in those 5 years, the US has given Egypt $6.5 billion in military aid while the Egyptian military went out and bought $30 - $35 billion worth of non US-built systems. What's wrong with that picture? lol.

My math could be off a little here and there, but it's probably close enough to make the comparison and get to the point of your question. Why would the US give out that kind of money when Egypt is more than capable of buying and spending 5 - 6 times as much? The answer is pretty simple; The US has special interests in having Egypt as an ally and partner in the Middle East and especially that the aid is essentially the result of the peace treaty with Israel. The United States has special interests in maintaining and promoting peace in the region and if you think about the biggest enemy Israel has ever faced, it was Egypt and has always been Egypt. So along with promoting peace come deals to incentivize that peace which Egypt and Israel benefit greatly from.

But then of course comes in the question of quality and potency of those weapons and that is why Egypt has no choice but to go to other sources while the US still has no choice but the continue supplying that aid as part of the agreement.

But, if Egypt has been able to purchase 244 F-16s in the past 35 years, and the F-16 platform has kind of come to an end while the F/A-18 and F-15 lines are actually improving with newer models, and the EAF does have purchase power as it has aptly demonstrated, and there is a need for a larger, potent and powerful fighter with greater range than the F-16, why not make some agreement where the cost would be split between the aid and straight up cash for a dozen F-15E's? I think that is very doable ESPECIALLY with this Trump administration. There hasn't been a single Republican president that has been so amicable with the incumbent Egyptian president since Jimmy Carter and he was a Democrat. We just recently saw Trump say how much he loves Sisi, then the SCALP was refused and with a few sweet words from Macron and Turmp's love for Sisi, not even 6 months later and the SCALPs were approved. Now the $190 million in aid that was put on hold for "humanitarian reasons" has suddenly been released. All signs of not only a happy relationship, but one that can be worked, and should be worked. I'm willing to bet that if the Egyptian Armed Forces put together a financial package where it would pay for half the cost of 12 or even 24 F-15s, the US would be very interested. The question is whether the EAF would be interested in something like the F-15, and the answer is yes. It would be a better financial and compatible option than going for the same number of Su-35s. Sorry for the log post, Harpcore! :-)

Last edited:
That's a great great question, especially now that the Egyptian military -- in all branches -- has been buying major weapons systems and big-ticket platforms from other sources than the US, and in substantial quantities. If we take the navy alone and look at the 2 Mistrals at roughly $1 billion a piece, the FREMM and what, 4 Gowind corvettes so far for $3 billion? Then you have $5 billion for the 4 Type 209 submarines from Germany and what appears to be another purchase of additional Spanish-built corvettes. Add all that up and it's roughly around $10 - $15 billion worth of strictly naval platforms in just the past 5 years?

Then the EAF. 48 Rafales and respective weapons & training. What's that contact's total value? $6-$7 billion?
50 Ka-52 Alligators + weapons & training at roughly $2 billion or thereabouts?
50 MiG-35s +weapons & training around $4 billion?

S-300VM, no idea what the number was for that but I would guess at least $1.5 billion for the 3 divisions worth?
Then all the APCs and vehicles they've been buying like the Nimrs, Sherpas, Pantheras, RG-33 Scouts and other miscellaneous weapons & platforms, throw in another $1 billion and we're not even including all the weapons they've been using for cretin crunching east & west of Egypt. There's also the 500 T-90's! Total all that up and you have about $30+ billion worth of military purchases in just the past 5 years.

Assuming the US aid is $1.3 per year, so in those 5 years, the US has given Egypt $6.5 billion in military aid while the Egyptian military went out and bought $30 - $35 billion worth of non US-built systems. What's wrong with that picture? lol.

My math could be off a little here and there, but it's probably close enough to make the comparison and get to the point of your question. Why would the US give out that kind of money when Egypt is more than capable of buying and spending 5 - 6 times as much? The answer is pretty simple; The US has special interests in having Egypt as an ally and partner in the Middle East and especially that the aid is essentially the result of the peace treaty with Israel. The United States has special interests in maintaininig and promote peace in the region and if you think about the biggest enemy Israel has ever faced, it was Egypt and has always been Egypt. So to promote peace come deals to incentivize that peace which Israel benefits greatly from as well.

But then of course comes in the question of quality and potency of those weapons and that is why Egypt has no choice but to go to other sources while the US still has no choice but the continue supplying that aid as part of the agreement.

But, if Egypt has been able to purchase 244 F-16s in the past 35 years, and the F-16 platform has kind of come to an end while the F/A-18 and F-15 lines are actually improving with newer models, and the EAF does have purchase power as it has aptly demonstrated, and there is a need for a larger potent and powerful fighter with greater range than the F-16. So why not make some agreement where the cost would be split between the aid and straight up cash for a dozen F-15E's? I think that is very doable ESPECIALLY with this Trump administration. There hasn't been a single Republican president that has been so amicable with the incumbent Egyptian president since Jimmy Carter and he was a Democrat. We just recently saw Trump say how much he loves Sisi, then the SCALP was refused and with a few sweet words from Macron and Turmp's love for Sisi, not even 6 months later and the SCALPs were approved. Now the $190 million in aid that was put on hold for "humanitarian reasons" has suddenly been released. All signs of not only a happy relationship, but one that can be worked, and should. I'm willing to bet that if the Egyptian Armed Forces put together a financial package where it would pay for half the cost of 12 or even 24 F-15s, the US would be very interested. The question is whether the EAF would be intersted in something like. It would be a better financial and compatible option than going for the same number of Su-35s. Sorry for the log post, Harpcore! :-)
The difference between the procurements of the F-15s vs the SU-35 revolve around the strings attached to the deal and more so around the weapon's package..

The difference between the procurements of the F-15s vs the SU-35 revolve around the strings attached to the deal and more so around the weapon's package..

Definitely. This is assuming not only the AIM-120 and 9X are part of the package, but also JDAM kits.
And if we think about it, SC, Israel has actually mastered this strategy. Look at what it does, not necessarily in monetary return for the aid, but with additional cooperation in intel and specifically research and technology sharing. Greater giving with taking is always much more beneficial than less giving and taking.

Then the EAF. 48 Rafales and respective weapons & training. What's that contract's total value? $6-$7 billion?
50 Ka-52 Alligators + weapons & training at roughly $2 billion, or thereabouts?
50 MiG-35s + weapons & training around $4 billion?

Assuming the US aid is $1.3 per year, so in those 5 years, the US has given Egypt $6.5 billion in military aid while the Egyptian military went out and bought $30 - $35 billion worth of non US-built systems. What's wrong with that picture? lol.

My math could be off a little here and there, but it's probably close enough to make the comparison and get to the point of your question. Why would the US give out that kind of money when Egypt is more than capable of buying and spending 5 - 6 times as much? The answer is pretty simple; The US has special interests in having Egypt as an ally and partner in the Middle East and especially that the aid is essentially the result of the peace treaty with Israel. The United States has special interests in maintaining and promoting peace in the region and if you think about the biggest enemy Israel has ever faced, it was Egypt and has always been Egypt. So along with promoting peace come deals to incentivize that peace which Egypt and Israel benefit greatly from.

But, if Egypt has been able to purchase 244 F-16s in the past 35 years, and the F-16 platform has kind of come to an end while the F/A-18 and F-15 lines are actually improving with newer models, and the EAF does have purchase power as it has aptly demonstrated, and there is a need for a larger, potent and powerful fighter with greater range than the F-16, why not make some agreement where the cost would be split between the aid and straight up cash for a dozen F-15E's? I think that is very doable ESPECIALLY with this Trump administration. There hasn't been a single Republican president that has been so amicable with the incumbent Egyptian president since Jimmy Carter and he was a Democrat. We just recently saw Trump say how much he loves Sisi, then the SCALP was refused and with a few sweet words from Macron and Turmp's love for Sisi, not even 6 months later and the SCALPs were approved. Now the $190 million in aid that was put on hold for "humanitarian reasons" has suddenly been released. All signs of not only a happy relationship, but one that can be worked, and should be worked. I'm willing to bet that if the Egyptian Armed Forces put together a financial package where it would pay for half the cost of 12 or even 24 F-15s, the US would be very interested. The question is whether the EAF would be interested in something like. It would be a better financial and compatible option than going for the same number of Su-35s. Sorry for the log post, Harpcore! :-)

But doesn't the US military aid comes in form of spare larts and the expenses of US technicians staying in Egypt, I might be mistaken but I have read tthat the US Military aid is used only to get US weaponary

US, Egypt Commence Exercise Eagle Response 18
U.S. Naval Forces Central Command Public Affairs
DjRyNyEX0AAe56U.jpg

RED SEA NAVAL BASE, Egypt, July 26, 2018 —

The U.S. Navy with the Egyptian Naval Forces commenced exercise Eagle Response 18 at the Red Sea Naval Base, Egypt, July 24.

Eagle Response 18 is an explosive ordnance disposal and diving exercise conducted with the Egyptian Naval Force and other participating nations to enhance interoperability and war-fighting readiness, fortify military-to-military relationships and advance operational capabilities of all participating units.

"We are fortunate to have this opportunity to build strong relationships to strengthen our maritime security capabilities," said Lt. John James, the U.S. Navy on-scene commander for the exercise. "Training opportunities like these give our Sailors the unique chance to learn from different nations and show them what we can do."

The U.S. Sailors represent Task Force 52, U.S. 5th Fleet’s mine warfare task force. The U.S. delegation is part of Task Group 52.3, and includes deployed Sailors from Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 6; Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2, Company 25; and the Naval Oceanography Mine Warfare Center.

The exercise began with a welcoming brief, classroom trainings and decompression chamber familiarization.

“It was great seeing a variety of nations compare their personal experiences with decompression training from a medical perspective,” said Chief Hospital Corpsman Eli Hernandez, who lead the hands-on decompression training. “Diving is one of the most hazardous evolutions a human can do, and it’s important we share our experiences and learn from each other to improve safety across the board.”

Scheduled events include underwater detonation drills, unmanned underwater vehicle operations and antiterrorism/force protection dives.

The exercise is part of Eagle Salute 18, a surface exercise, to provide opportunities for participating nations to collaborate on an even wider range of maritime security operations.

U.S. Naval Forces Central Command conducts more than 20 bilateral and multilateral exercises with partner nations throughout the region each year. Exercise Eagle Response is one of numerous exercises vital to the U.S. Navy's theater security cooperation efforts in building and enhancing solid regional and international relationships.

Eagle Response 18
Sailors deployed to U.S. 5th Fleet’s Task Group 52.3 prepare to depart a boat during a familiarization dive with the Egyptian Naval Force (ENF) during Eagle Response 18. Eagle Response 18 is an explosive ordnance disposal and diving exercise with the ENF conducted to enhance interoperability and war-fighting readiness, fortify military-to-military relationships and advance operational capabilities of all participating units. (U.S. Navy photo by Lt. Chloe Morgan/Released)

180725-N-KT631-142.JPG

http://www.centcom.mil/MEDIA/NEWS-A...us-egypt-commence-exercise-eagle-response-18/

But doesn't the US military aid comes in form of spare larts and the expenses of US technicians staying in Egypt,

That's a smaller percentage of it, yes. But Egypt has produced a lot of parts on its own also, for many of the systems including the F-16s. And there aren't many US technicians in Egypt for a while, now, only periodic inspectors.

Also look at almost all the equipment the Egyptian military has received from that aid through the years:
(244) / F-16
(45) F-4E Phantoms
(9) E-2C Hawkeye
(24) C-230 Hercules
(1105) M1A1 Abrams
(47) Apaches
(19) Chinooks
(9) Beechcraft 1900
(4,000) HUMVEEs
(10) SH-2G Super Seasprites
(23) Sea King Commandos
Thousands of armored vehicles of all sorts
(4) Oliver Perry Frigates
(2) Knox Frigates
(4) Ambassador MKIII missile crafts
(2) Osprey minehunters
(3) Navarine mine hunters
(?) Tugboats (almost 3/4 of the tugboats the ENF uses are US made)
Much more that I can't think of lol.

Think of the cost of all the Bright Star exercises. Even though they aren't part of the aid package, it's still a bill the US foots on Egypt's behalf.

I might be mistaken but I have read tthat the US Military aid is used only to get US weaponary

That's the point. F-15 is American. Unless I misunderstood you.

That's a smaller percentage of it, yes. But Egypt has produced a lot of parts on its own also, for many of the systems including the F-16s. And there aren't many US technicians in Egypt for a while, now, only periodic inspectors.

Also look at almost all the equipment the Egyptian military has received from that aid through the years:
(244) / F-16
(45) F-4E Phantoms
(9) E-2C Hawkeye
(24) C-230 Hercules
(1105) M1A1 Abrams
(47) Apaches
(19) Chinooks
(9) Beechcraft 1900
(4,000) HUMVEEs
(10) SH-2G Super Seasprites
(23) Sea King Commandos
Thousands of armored vehicles of all sorts
(4) Oliver Perry Frigates
(2) Knox Frigates
(4) Ambassador MKIII missile crafts
(2) Osprey minehunters
(3) Navarine mine hunters
(?) Tugboats (almost 3/4 of the tugboats the ENF uses are US made)
Much more that I can't think of lol.

Think of the cost of all the Bright Star exercises. Even though they aren't part of the aid package, it's still a bill the US foots on Egypt's behalf.

That's the point. F-15 is American. Unless I misunderstood you.

The total amount to 85 bn usd in aid since 1946, I thought you said that we used the aid to buy the FREMMS and the Mistrals. Furthermore, its still interesting to know why are they doing all that funding. we declined sending troops to afghaniAfghand somalia when they requested it from Mubarak, we also recently declared to send troops to Syria, so the question remains, why do they think that aid is worthy

The total amount to 85 bn usd in aid since 1946, I thought you said that we used the aid to buy the FREMMS and the Mistrals. Furthermore, its still interesting to know why are they doing all that funding. we declined sending troops to afghaniAfghand somalia when they requested it from Mubarak, we also recently declared to send troops to Syria, so the question remains, why do they think that aid is worthy
Afghanistan* Declined*

According to LaTribune.

Egypt seek some TKMS Meko A200 instead of Gowind... for 1Bil€
Loan by Euler Hermes for a full 100% Loan coverage.
In the Article, they state that Israel gave the green light, since the A200 is less Technologically advanced than the TKMS Saar 6 that are being built for them... Same for the EGY/ISR Submarines.
Egypt asked them to add in the Aster 30 sys.
The Last 2 Gowinds are signed.
It seems Egypt will go for 12 instead of 24 more Rafale.
Bercy do not wish to pay for more Egyptian projects, except for Rafales, since France saw such contract as "Strategic".

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprise...emagne-va-t-elle-couler-la-france-786490.html

In the Latest news... The US is still blocking the Scalp missiles sell to Egypt. (and therefore the Rafale contract)

Parly was answering a question from parliamentarian Jean-Jacques Ferrara on the blocked sale of a further batch of Rafale aircraft to Egypt.

“Are we looking to improve the situation?” Parly said. “The answer is yes. In the case raised by Mr. Ferrara, we cannot get the U.S. to lift its opposition to the sale of Scalp missiles."

“What is the solution? That the manufacturer of these missiles, namely MBDA, make the investment in research and technology to be able to make a similar component, which would avoid ITAR," she added." “We are able to do it for this contract because the component can be built within a reasonable amount of time even if the client, naturally, sees it as too long.”

https://www.defensenews.com/global/...n-and-france-is-over-it/#.W2JQlzp08GM.twitter

what's the current situation on the Sinai insurgency? has Daesh been removed or is still ongoing?

what's the current situation on the Sinai insurgency? has Daesh been removed or is still ongoing?
Their capabilities have been reduced massively you can say at this stage they are a shadow of what they used to be life is returning to normal in al arish city and I think it would take another year for them to totally disappear however I think the army can improve alot.

Back
Top Bottom