What's new

Egypt in negotiations for Su-35 and Mig-35?

Egypt should go for any of these two, and the business will take care of itself :coffee:

The Eggys may also need to look into the Kilo class subs as well :police:

Hey man Why your avatar is not Scary this time? I do not like that. Change it.

Yep, I agree. It's just that there's a lot of people who think just because the Egyptian F-16 isn't armed with the AIM-120 means that the Egyptian F-16 has no BVR tech and if armed with a medium to long range AA missile the darn thing wouldn't work.

If you're looking for concrete confirmation about a subject or information regarding the Egyptian military then you're going to have a bad time. One particular example that is used all the time is the SA-15, the SA-15 was delivered to Egypt in 2005 and showed up in a air defence demonstration seven years later. The Egyptian military isn't big on transparency or PR. You should probably look up India's run in with CISMOA if you want to get further information about it.
So what you are saying if if Egypt wants they can buy BVR Missiles and just fit in F-16 to use or fire am I right ?

Sure, why not changing your too? :lol:

Man my Avatar is same from beginning. But yours were always scary. This non scary Avatar do not fit to your Impression (Impression of Avatar). Make it a Lion or werewolf or something scary like that.

dont look like true but the EAF has money to buy they are rich country
SU35 really nice slice the best then come Mig29 M2 and Mig35

i think EAF can get the Mig29 M2 the fastest

From this source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Air_Force

Egypt needs to replace:
82 Mirage V, 80 MiG-21 Fishbed, 80 Chengdu J-7

So in total Egypt needs about 300 new Planes like JF-17s. So its the best time for Egypt to make a deal with PAC and CAC for 150 JF-17s Block-IIs and later 150 JF-17s Block-IIIs.

Also they should join in with Russian on MiGs 5th Generation project along with Libya and Algeria.

From this source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Air_Force

Egypt needs to replace:
82 Mirage V, 80 MiG-21 Fishbed, 80 Chengdu J-7

So in total Egypt needs about 300 new Planes like JF-17s. So its the best time for Egypt to make a deal with PAC and CAC for 150 JF-17s Block-IIs and later 150 JF-17s Block-IIIs.

Also they should join in with Russian on MiGs 5th Generation project along with Libya and Algeria.
Sir either Pakistan should expand production capacity off JF-17 so it can export it or just fulfil its needs first specially work fast to induct large numbers off block II first as according to @DESERT FIGHTER its ready and being tested and we also need to start inducting J-10 B in our air force

I was talking about Egypt.... that it can get license for production of 150 JF-17s Block-IIs and also 150 JF-17s Block-IIIs. More over, they can join in with Chinese on J-31 Program too that can be able to replace their F-16s fleet very soon....

Yep, I agree. It's just that there's a lot of people who think just because the Egyptian F-16 isn't armed with the AIM-120 means that the Egyptian F-16 has no BVR tech and if armed with a medium to long range AA missile the darn thing wouldn't work.

If you're looking for concrete confirmation about a subject or information regarding the Egyptian military then you're going to have a bad time. One particular example that is used all the time is the SA-15, the SA-15 was delivered to Egypt in 2005 and showed up in a air defence demonstration seven years later. The Egyptian military isn't big on transparency or PR. You should probably look up India's run in with CISMOA if you want to get further information about it.

Or the Italian Centauro, they had it for years and didn't show it until 2012!! Its the old mentality of secrecy! They are getting better though!

Or the Italian Centauro, they had it for years and didn't show it until 2012!! Its the old mentality of secrecy! They are getting better though!

Not quite sure about the Centauro. Me and a peer were discussing whether it was in our inventory (on the now deceased IranDefense) and it just didn't make sense, it does not fit in with our doctrine.

His best guess was that it belonged to the Italians and was taking part in a joint maneuver, that would also explain why the AMX International was present in one of the EAF's celebration days that year. But generally it is getting better.

The common misconception is that Egyptian F-16s have no BVR capability whatsoever, the AIM-7 illustrates my point about whether Egyptian F-16s "have BVR technology". Whether it is adequate or not is up to the EAF. Personally, I don't think its acceptable to not have the AIM-120C/D on the F-16 or an equivalent (there may be one), but that's just my opinion.

There is no misconception regarding EAF F-16s BVR capability, their F-16s are capable to carry semi active and active BVRs but they are not sold by US and never will be allowed to integrate Active BVRAAM AIM-120...it is as simple as that. husseni mubark and any legal/illegal governments followed by it have always been weak there is no chance EAF F-16s will ever be equipped with any western BVRs.

I previous posted EAF might go for SU-35 or get into negotiations but I did not anticipate Mig-35 this is the only aircraft EAF should stay away from. Those who are advocating JF-17 it seem though it has been rejected or the negotiating went into cold storage as well as there are technical problems such as No Chinese engine as yet.

Do note that EAF has 10 [some 200-210] squadrons equipped with vintage aircraft including mig-21, F-7, Mirage III, F-4 Phantoms. Not all can be replaced with SU-35 which are expensive atleast $60m per aircraft not including life cycle complete support/costs which could end up estimated 120-140m over the period for say 28-30 years.

There is no misconception regarding EAF F-16s BVR capability, their F-16s are capable to carry semi active and active BVRs but they are not sold by US and never will be allowed to integrate Active BVRAAM AIM-120...it is as simple as that.

There are many misconceptions about every armed force in the world, the most common one on the internet and amateur military forums about the EAF is that it lacks "BVR technology" which is factually untrue.

The EAF has acquired sufficient numbers of AIM-7 M/P to fulfill its needs, some of which were assembled in Egypt, fun little fact.

husseni mubark and any legal/illegal governments followed by it have always been weak there is no chance EAF F-16s will ever be equipped with any western BVRs.

The US refuses to provide Egypt with the AIM-120 due to the Armed Force's refusal to sign the Communications and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement. The military believes it is an infringement on its and the nations security, that is the reason why the US does not allow Egypt to procure certain weapons systems, although Zionist pressure at times is effective, however, it is mostly due to this, nothing to do with 'weak governments'. Misconception 2 splashed.

I previous posted EAF might go for SU-35 or get into negotiations but I did not anticipate Mig-35 this is the only aircraft EAF should stay away from.

Why? it's a great platform. If the EAF requires a heavy fighter mainly aimed at air superiority then I see no reason why they would not be able to request it, especially after the warming of ties and a strategic shift in foreign policy.

. Those who are advocating JF-17 it seem though it has been rejected or the negotiating went into cold storage as well as there are technical problems such as No Chinese engine as yet.

Could be. Don't really know any thing with the Egyptian Armed Forces, as stated before they are not really big on announcing their plans, the only reason we know anything about these deals is because of the Russians, nothing official has come out of the government or the Armed Forces.

Do note that EAF has 10 [some 200-210] squadrons equipped with vintage aircraft including mig-21, F-7, Mirage III, F-4 Phantoms.

I'm well aware. All of the F-4 Phantoms have been retired, the majority of Mig 21s and F-7s have been retired, those that remain are attached to the Air Defence command for point defence, all of them will be retired by the end of 2016. The Mirage III has been upgraded to Horus standard (similar to that of Pakistan's ROSE) and will continue its service for a while longer, although reportedly only 1-2 squadrons of them remain.

Not all can be replaced with SU-35 which are expensive atleast $60m per aircraft not including life cycle complete support/costs which could end up estimated 120-140m over the period for say 28-30 years.

Which is why you have a hi-low mix of aircraft, i.e large quantities of multi-role aircraft (F-16, M2K, Mig-35?, JF-17?) and possibly one or two squadrons of heavy air superiority fighters (SU-35?, F-15? etc.).

Last edited:
Not quite sure about the Centauro. Me and a peer were discussing whether it was in our inventory (on the now deceased IranDefense) and it just didn't make sense, it does not fit in with our doctrine.

His best guess was that it belonged to the Italians and was taking part in a joint maneuver, that would also explain why the AMX International was present in one of the EAF's celebration days that year. But generally it is getting better.

I saw it in a video, it had Egyptian numbers and markings and was flying a small Egyptian flag, quality of image isn't all that great but you can see the markings. Jane's defense indicates that the Egypt does operate the Centauro in a reconnaissance role!

Interesting though saying it doesn't fit with our doctrine, how so? It comes with M68 (L7) 105 mm gun, same caliber as the one used on Egypt's M60s (A1s and A3s) and Ramses II tanks and also a 120 mm caliber as the one used on Egyptian M1A1s, so no problem with ammunition there, plus its cheaper and way more mobile that a MBT! lol sorry I'm a big supporter of such tank-killer systems, I believe they are the future.

I saw it in a video, it had Egyptian numbers and markings and was flying a small Egyptian flag, quality of image isn't all that great but you can see the markings. Jane's defense indicates that the Egypt does operate the Centauro in a reconnaissance role!

Good to know, will look it up.

Interesting though saying it doesn't fit with our doctrine, how so? It comes with M68 (L7) 105 mm gun, same caliber as the one used on Egypt's M60s (A1s and A3s) and Ramses II tanks and also a 120 mm caliber as the one used on Egyptian M1A1s, so no problem with ammunition there, plus its cheaper and way more mobile that a MBT! lol sorry I'm a big supporter of such tank-killer systems, I believe they are the future.

It just doesn't fit. Mechanised infantry usually use either soft skinned vehicles (J-8, Humvee etc.) with wire guided anti tank missiles attached to it or APC's with the same, we certainly have not seen any indication or move to induct LAVs with large caliber guns or LAVs for that matter, I think there is only one type in service, the BMR-600.

That must have not been a successful procurement since there was no repeat or move towards inducting other types or any indication of doing so, instead we are starting to see MRAPs pop up and talk of MRAVs being inducted. I'm pretty sure they will stick to IFVs or soft skinned vehicles carrying anti tank missiles than shifting towards dedicated anti tank platforms.

There is a growing move away from MBTs towards LAVs with large caliber guns, however, I still think MBTs will be absolutlely necessary in the future, its role has always been questioned (the tank that is) after every major conflict, however, it always seems to find a way to reassert itself.

Back
Top Bottom