What's new

Egypt acquires 23 German IRIS-T SL GBAD

Amun

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
The old federal government under Chancellor Angela Merkel approved two sensitive arms exports to Egypt shortly before the change of government. This emerges from a letter from the then Minister of Economic Affairs Peter Altmaier (CDU) to Bundestag President Bärbel Bas (SPD), which is available to the German Press Agency. First the "Spiegel" reported about it.

The letter is dated December 7th, the day before the swearing-in of the new cabinet and the handover of Merkel to Olaf Scholz (SPD) in the Chancellery.

In the letter, Altmaier informs about a total of three arms exports that the Federal Security Council has approved:

- Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems is allowed to deliver three MEKO A-200 EN frigates to Egypt.

- The Baden-Württemberg company Diehl Defense has been approved to deliver 16 air defense systems of the type IRIS-T SLS / SLX to Egypt..

The Egyptian IRIS-T SL GBAD Contract is likely to be as follows:

- 10 IRIS-T SLX Long Range GBAD
- 7 IRIS-T SLM GBAD Medium Range
- 6 IRIS-T SLS GBAD Short Range

German class advanced air defense with different ranges and heights, consisting of 23 batteries of IRS-T variants..

IRIS-T SLS: Short range12 km and 8 km altitude
IRIS-T SLM: Medium range 40 km, altitude 20 km
IRIS-T SLX: version: Long range 80 km and 30 km altitude

@The SC @Gomig-21

Thus, Egypt became the first customer of IRIS-T systems. It is a very smart move from the Egyptian army because the system has a very serious development potential.

197E0D74-7611-40F3-90FB-133E22F653D2.jpeg

Last edited:
@SQ8 Diehl's rep at IDEAS 2018 told me they were also marketing a long-range SAM to Pak. I honestly didn't understand what he meant by "long-range" as I thought that the IRIS-T SL-series was strictly SHORAD. Figured it was a misspeak. Well, it turns out, there's an IRIS-T SLX. So, the PAF's next-gen IADS work just might be very interesting after all (@kursed). Well done to Egypt for securing it as well.

@SQ8 Diehl's rep at IDEAS 2018 told me they were also marketing a long-range SAM to Pak. I honestly didn't understand what he meant by "long-range" as I thought that the IRIS-T SL-series was strictly SHORAD. Figured it was a misspeak. Well, it turns out, there's an IRIS-T SLX. So, the PAF's next-gen IADS work just might be very interesting after all (@kursed). Well done to Egypt for securing it as well.
Thus, Egypt became the first customer of IRIS-T systems. It is a very smart move from the Egyptian army because the system has a very serious development potential.

it can be accompanied with SAMP-T long range AD systems for Ballistic Missiles …. Together with the Egyptian AAW Frigates with Aster-30 will make western AD Multi layers AD system for high value targets and valuable assets inside the country

+ the Multi layer Movable Russian AD systems ( Tor / BUK / S-300VM) to protect the ground forces during military operations.

Last edited:
Would be interesting how that would be layered. Lets say they get 6 assets coupled with the HQ-9s already deployed it would be shaping up to be a pretty potent ADGE.
1639791950437.png

I dont know Egypt's layout but that would be a very very potent ADGE. So while they are at peace with their old threat they have also made it very very expensive for their old threat to ever think of a conflict.

Would be interesting how that would be layered. Lets say they get 6 assets coupled with the HQ-9s already deployed it would be shaping up to be a pretty potent ADGE.
View attachment 801717

I dont know Egypt's layout but that would be a very very potent ADGE. So while they are at peace with their old threat they have also made it very very expensive for their old threat to ever think of a conflict.
Agreed. I suspect the Diehl IRIS-T SLX might be a better deal than the SAMP/T too. Sure, not a 1:1 capability match, fair, but this could be more economical right now.

There's still the question of short-to-medium-range too.

The Spada 2000-Plus is here to stay, but it delivers one type of AAW threat (via short-range SALH-based SAMs). The PAF should have an ARH-based medium-range SAM like the CAMM-ER or IRIS-T SLM too.

While the PN chose the CAMM-ER, I now wonder, can MBDA Italy really consider the PAF a 'lock' for the CAMM-ER? Diehl could package both the IRIS-T SLM and IRIS-T SLX where you get the LoMADS and HiMADS as one set all ready to go. There's also the Hensoldt delegation meeting the PAF at the recent Dubai Air Show. So, if you need radars to support these German SAMs, you would speak to the German sensor vendor.

Last edited:
The old federal government under Chancellor Angela Merkel approved two sensitive arms exports to Egypt shortly before the change of government. This emerges from a letter from the then Minister of Economic Affairs Peter Altmaier (CDU) to Bundestag President Bärbel Bas (SPD), which is available to the German Press Agency. First the "Spiegel" reported about it.

The letter is dated December 7th, the day before the swearing-in of the new cabinet and the handover of Merkel to Olaf Scholz (SPD) in the Chancellery.

In the letter, Altmaier informs about a total of three arms exports that the Federal Security Council has approved:

- Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems is allowed to deliver three MEKO A-200 EN frigates to Egypt.

- The Baden-Württemberg company Diehl Defense has been approved to deliver 16 air defense systems of the type IRIS-T SLS / SLX to Egypt..

The Egyptian IRIS-T SL GBAD Contract is likely to be as follows:

- 10 IRIS-T SLX Long Range GBAD
- 7 IRIS-T SLM GBAD Medium Range
- 6 IRIS-T SLS GBAD Short Range

German class advanced air defense with different ranges and heights, consisting of 23 batteries of IRS-T variants..

IRIS-T SLS: Short range12 km and 8 km altitude
IRIS-T SLM: Medium range 40 km, altitude 20 km
IRIS-T SLX: version: Long range 80 km and 30 km altitude

@The SC @Gomig-21
Reported on the Egyptian armed forces thread yesterday,,

And here too:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/a-re...the-type-mode-209-1400-submarine-deal.730266/

Very interesting air defence layered system..pretty much one of the best..

%D8%A3%D9%86%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%A1-%D8%B9%D9%86-%D8%AA%D8%B9%D8%A7%D9%82%D8%AF-%D9%85%D8%B5%D8%B1-%D8%B9%D9%84%D9%89-16-%D8%A8%D8%B7%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D8%AF%D9%81%D8%A7%D8%B9-%D8%AC%D9%88%D9%8A-%D9%85%D9%86.jpg

BTW.. Egypt received the first batch of 4 German-made IRIST SLM medium-range air defense systems at the beginning of this year.. out of 7 systems that Egypt contracted with German. The rest of the systems are expected to be delivered next year..

egypt-iris-t-ai-defence.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed. I suspect the Diehl IRIS-T SLX might be a better deal than the SAMP/T too. Sure, not a 1:1 capability match, fair, but this could be more economical right now.

The Spada 2000-Plus is here to stay, but it delivers one type of AAW threat (via short-range SALH-based SAMs). The PAF should have an ARH-based medium-range SAM like the CAMM-ER or IRIS-T SLM too.

While the PN chose the CAMM-ER, I now wonder, can MBDA Italy really consider the PAF a 'lock' for the CAMM-ER? Diehl could package both the IRIS-T SLM and IRIS-T SLX where you get the LoMADS and HiMADS as one set all ready to go. There's also the Hensoldt delegation meeting the PAF at the recent Dubai Air Show. So, if you need radars to support these German SAMs, you would speak to the German sensor vendor.
It’d largely depend on PAF’s financials as well, given their most recent buy. I doubt we’d be seeing another SAM buy anytime soon.

Commonality in terms of SAMs is useful (Spyder-Barak for India) but don’t think it’s a necessity. If they do go the german route the PA might be well placed to look at Mantis type C-RAMs as well.

The PAF may be looking to replace the crotale(apparently some are still operational??) with this system and IRIS-T is a pretty good replacement. Might even tempt the PA to get it as well since those Hq-7s aren’t exactly high end.

After this system entered service with the Egyptian Air Defense Forces and subjected it to tests and rigorous examination against all potential air threats, whether typical or atypical, this system won the admiration of all Egyptian army experts. And this is not only for the reasons currently mentioned in all global and Arab military sites of being the most powerful European air defense system in terms of technological development or that it is not subject to interference due to its highly complex revolutionary guidance system and the negative searches in the missile head, which allows it to intercept its targets without the enemy feeling it Or its high fire density of up to 48 missiles per battery, in addition to its unique aerodynamic design and its highly advanced engine equipped with TVC technology, which allows the missile to pursue the fastest, flexible and dynamic targets at the lowest altitudes in the world and an unprecedented reaction speed as soon as it is launched from Vertical launchers at 360-degree angles, which is a very important feature in making the blind area around any battery close to zero. This is the weakness that modern suppression weapons, including suicide drones, have exploited in achieving their recent successes.

And everything we mentioned above is not the most important reason. When this system was tested in Egypt, the Egyptian Air Defense Forces confirmed that it is the best system in the world capable of working against the atypical threats that have recently appeared on the battlefield around the world. The German system is rightly considered a (drone hunter) of all types and models, whether reconnaissance, armed or suicide bombers. In addition to its superior ability to confront the munitions to suppress air defenses, whether anti-radiation missiles, smart bombs, or modern cruise missiles, and even possesses the capabilities of anti-to-ground tactical missiles or modern missile launchers equipped with smart warheads.

All this made this system the “strong bodyguard” for the rest of the air defense systems operating in the Egyptian Air Defense Forces, with a protection circle with a diameter of up to 80 km in the (SLM) version and 160 km in the latest version (SLX), meaning that it will cover the blind area of all defense systems The long- and medium-range aerial systems that operate at a ceiling height and higher range and are located within the coverage circle with efficiency and intensity are the best in the world and in complete silence. When linked to the early warning network, they will act as a silent killer capable of addressing the latest armament systems in the world specialized to extinguish air defenses, whether anti-radiation missiles or Drones of all kinds, tactical ballistic missiles, or advanced smart rocket launchers. This is, of course, in addition to shooting down all fighters and helicopters of all shapes and sizes, and even being able to shoot down high-speed anti-ship missiles.

Source: Egyptian Defense

It’d largely depend on PAF’s financials as well, given their most recent buy. I doubt we’d be seeing another SAM buy anytime soon.
True. Fortunately, local air defence systems don't cost nearly as much as fighter aircraft. So, there's a chance we could hear about another SAM buy a lot sooner than later. It just depends on the country giving that little bit of fiscal breathing room.

Commonality in terms of SAMs is useful (Spyder-Barak for India) but don’t think it’s a necessity. If they do go the german route the PA might be well placed to look at Mantis type C-RAMs as well.

The PAF may be looking to replace the crotale(apparently some are still operational??) with this system and IRIS-T is a pretty good replacement. Might even tempt the PA to get it as well since those Hq-7s aren’t exactly high end.
Absolutely, but I think the PA's going all-in on Chinese solutions. The DK-10 (basically a SAM variant of SD-10) could be of interest to deliver a NASAMS-type capability that fits in the wider HQ-16 and HQ-9 framework.

The PAF's next-gen ADGE is an open field right now.

The PAF tends to upgrade SAMs in major, once-in-a-while-type programs. The last program was adding the Spada 2000-Plus back in the 2010s. AHQ wanted the Hawk in the 1990s, but that fell through due to Pressler.

While there's a funding crunch, I do think a SAM buy is slated for this decade. IMO, it won't cross $1 bn in scope and, as long as we're speaking to one vendor, there's multi-year financing. Not only that, but the PAF has actual options: MBDA Italy CAMM-ER, Roketsan Hisar-A and Hisar-O, and Diehl IRIS-T SL, SLM and SLX. The cool thing with the Diehl solution is that's a multi-layered package; you can cover LoMADS and HiMADS all-in-one.

Reported on the Egyptian armed forces thread yesterday,,

And here too:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/a-re...the-type-mode-209-1400-submarine-deal.730266/

Very interesting air defence layered system..pretty much one of the best..

%D8%A3%D9%86%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%A1-%D8%B9%D9%86-%D8%AA%D8%B9%D8%A7%D9%82%D8%AF-%D9%85%D8%B5%D8%B1-%D8%B9%D9%84%D9%89-16-%D8%A8%D8%B7%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D8%AF%D9%81%D8%A7%D8%B9-%D8%AC%D9%88%D9%8A-%D9%85%D9%86.jpg

BTW.. Egypt received the first batch of 4 German-made IRIST SLM medium-range air defense systems at the beginning of this year.. out of 7 systems that Egypt contracted with German. The rest of the systems are expected to be delivered next year..

egypt-iris-t-ai-defence.jpeg

An Interesting purchase nonetheless

Back
Top Bottom