What's new

EADS Eurofighter in the MRCA competition Thread

^^well written post..you seem to be another RAFALE fan..

agree with you. But the problem is F-35 is not for sale to India and PAK-FA is 10 years away. India cannot wait that long.

Actually, Lockheed Martin has offered the F-35 to India as replacements in the future if the F-16 is chosen. But that is highly unlikely because of problems with ToT, sanctions and PAF already operate F-16.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the rafale is the best bet for India (remember, the IAF originally wanted Mirages). It is true multi-role as it has excellent air-to-ground abilities while it also has good air-to-air abilities (though not as good as the eurofighter typhoon).

As far as I am concerned, the F-18, F-16 (because of problems with American ToT and sanctions) and MiG-35 (As the IAF already have access to russian tech and are looking to diversify) are already out of the race (although I would have loved to see the MiG-35 in service in India).

I doubt that the Griphen will be selected as it does not offer much political advantages and is competetion for the LCA. Moreover, many of it's components are American and hence again prone to sanctions. Moreover, Swedish jets have never been in service in India.

That leaves us with the eurofighter and the rafale. Both have an edge over other contenders (other than MiG-35) when it comes to ToT as it has few or no american components. Both gives the IAF access to European tech. The eurofighter is better in air-to-air while the rafale has an edge in air-to ground combat. But should India go for another fighter excelling in air-to-air when it has the Su-30MKI? So here, the rafale has the advantage as it can complement the Su-30MKI. Moreover, the rafale is cheaper than the eurofighter. Infact, I think the IAF should extend the tender and induct 200 of the Rafales.

Never ever discount Americans like that. They are master salesman and in all probability will make a deal which we will find hard to refuse. Our politicians might just suck it up considering the fact that all planes have cleared our flight evaluation tests (as far as i know). I personally wouldnt like F16 or F18 to be selected but ...

Practically Gripen seems to be the best over all choice ...low operating costs , low cost of the plane , NG seems to have evolved quite nicely, etc... It would be a great plane in IAF colors if inducted.

I adore Rafale (My favourite) but is too expensive and way less power compared to other aircrafts.. I am not sure how India can afford 120+ rafale or EF.

Even though the Eurofighter is one of the most capable fighters in the world, I dont think they will win even the MMRCA deal as in my opinion the rafale is better suited for the IAF. Both have an edge over other contenders (other than MiG-35) when it comes to ToT as it has few or no american components. Both gives the IAF access to European tech. The eurofighter is better in air-to-air while the rafale has an edge in air-to ground combat. But should India go for another fighter excelling in air-to-air when it has the Su-30MKI? So here, the rafale has the advantage as it can complement the Su-30MKI. Moreover, the rafale is cheaper than the eurofighter and India already has a good experience with the mirages. That would mean that we would have to make fewer changes in the existing infrastructure which translates to less money spent on induction.

Well in 2020 Pakistan will have this.
ufo.jpg

Let see if u challenge this. Lol
:pakistan::pakistan:

Really? That doesnt seem much of a challenge because India already has this:

SU-30MKI-g4sp_-_edit_2&

:yahoo::yahoo::smitten:

Last edited:
Even though the Eurofighter is one of the most capable fighters in the world, I dont think they will win even the MMRCA deal as in my opinion the rafale is better suited for the IAF.

In what way ?

Both have an edge over other contenders (other than MiG-35) when it comes to ToT as it has few or no american components.
ToT is tooo loose a word that is going around. We dont know what GOI as asked as a part of ToT. Every vendor touting to give as much as ToT as possible makes it even more difficult.
If competition should be based on ToT then swedes would win it hands down since they have gone on the record offering FULL ToT including source codes for AESA.

Both gives the IAF access to European tech. The eurofighter is better in air-to-air while the rafale has an edge in air-to ground combat.

How did you arrive at this conclusion ? Rafale is also pretty good to AtoA role.

Moreover, the rafale is cheaper than the eurofighter and India already has a good experience with the mirages.

Rafale and EF are two of the most expensive aircrafts that are competing for the tender. Even $20Billion deal for 120 aircrafts seems remote possibility when it comes to these two aircrafts.

That would mean that we would have to make fewer changes in the existing infrastructure which translates to less money spent on induction.

I am not sure about that...Both are different AC's with little or less common between them ; except for avionics which was developed for Rafale from Mirage 2K. Rafale would still involve significant upgradation or new infrastructure to support it...however compared to other AC's it will score a brownie over here.

In my opinion ............India should go for Eurofighter.......
Reasons...

1)Mig 35, Naaaa....India already have many Russian fighters like MKI
2)Rafeal, Naaaa....Requirements are not very attractive India already have French technology, besides that India take Rafeal avionics and weapons for LCA or MCA
3)Saab Gripen, Naaaa....JF-17 is close to it, especially PAF plans to take it near to Gripen N.
4)F-16I, Naaaa....PAF already very much experienced, F-16Block 52 and F-16I only have the difference of RADAR RANGE, CFT's, Engine, new Glasscockpit, helmet mount and electronic warefare.
4)F-18 S-Hornet, Naaaa....A very good option but the jet direct production will go down as F-35 come out.............Another point US will play for their own intrests as the deal inked...and India knows that very well.

Eurofighter is the best choice for IAF

Last edited:
Eurofighter 300 in numbers :lol: let them deliver them their first one :lol: :lol: pata challe Rafale chukk leehya!

Never ever discount Americans like that. They are master salesman and in all probability will make a deal which we will find hard to refuse. Our politicians might just suck it up considering the fact that all planes have cleared our flight evaluation tests (as far as i know). I personally wouldnt like F16 or F18 to be selected but ...

Practically Gripen seems to be the best over all choice ...low operating costs , low cost of the plane , NG seems to have evolved quite nicely, etc... It would be a great plane in IAF colors if inducted.

I adore Rafale (My favourite) but is too expensive and way less power compared to other aircrafts.. I am not sure how India can afford 120+ rafale or EF.

I agree with you completely. But then again, India has ordered 6 C-130Js and 10 C-17s from the US. India is develpoing the PAK FA, UAC/HAL Il-214 and Brahmos with russia and the IAF has plans to acquire more Su-30MKIs, upgrade programs for MiG-29s and also the recent deal for 6 Il-78MKIs. Indian navy has also ordered MiG-29Ks, INS Vikramaditya and a few subs and cruisers. India is buying Hawk trainers from BAE. The French will get the deal to upgrade our Mirages. Israeli Avionics have been and will continue to be an important part of most upgrade programs. India also uses (and possibly may buy more) UAVs from Israel. Even HAL and DRDO are given many projects like the russian joint ventures and many other programs like the LCA, MCA, DRDO Astra, UCAVs, Agni, Prithvi, Akash......

I really dont see why any country should be angry because they didn't get the MRCA tender as everyone seems to have got a share. But then one can never be too sure. Who knows, the final winner may be F-16 or F-18 though in my personal opinion, that is not a very good move because of ToT problems and fear of sanctions.

I dont know much about the Gripen and it's specifications, but do you think HAL and MoD will allow it as it challenges the LCA program? Also, I read somewhere that the Gripen has a lower range when compared to other contenders.

In my opinion ............India should go for Eurofighter.......
Reasons...

3)Saab Gripen, Naaaa....JF-17 is close to it, especially PAF plans to take it near to Gripen N.

Rest of it seems fair. This one is a bit of a long shot ... Its like equating LCA with Rafeal. :)

Back
Top Bottom