What's new

DRDO's Nag missile fails in user trials

dee

Reaction score
The long-delayed Nag anti-tank missile project of the DRDO has suffered yet another setback as its user trials held recently failed.

In the trials held in Rajasthan in presence of senior Lt Gen-rank officers from the Army and top DRDO officials, the modified carrier of the missile called NAMICA also under-performed, DRDO sources said.

In the trials held at the Mahajan firing range, four Nag missiles were fired of which only one could hit the target whereas the remaining failed to do so due to glitches in the equipment on-board the weapon, they said.

Army officials present at the test-firings were not happy with the performance of the missile and have asked the defence research agency to come better prepared for the trials to be held in the future, they said.

The missile has been under development as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP)initiated in early 1980s and is now expected to take few more years to reach the induction stage.

Sources said the carrier of the Nag missile called NAMICA -- a modified Russian-origin BMP-II personnel carrier, also failed to satisfy the users in displaying its capabilities in water during the trials.

However, the NAMICA met the requirements of the user in terms of its cross-country capabilities, they said.

When contacted for his reaction, DRDO spokesperson Ravi Gupta said the trials were a "partial success".

"The Advanced Target Acquisition systems with both the Gunner and Commander have performed well," he claimed.

The spokesperson said these trials have "brought out certain deviations in the engine performance of the NAMICA BMP-II and those were being assessed by the experts."

DRDO's Nag missile fails in user trials - Indian Express

Koi na...try again....DRDO can't deliver good things until it fails many times...that's the way they work....:enjoy:

Koi na...try again....DRDO can't deliver good things until it fails many times...that's the way they work....:enjoy:
I would rather say about IA.......

Naach na jane aangan teda (A bad workman blames his tools)

things to be noted here are:
1.IA's opposition to Indigenous product.They love that foreign tag like majority of indians in 1980 for whom possessing anything foreign was a status thing even if it was Rs.200 chinese tape recorder which used to be trash with in 3 months of use.
2.IA is the most corrupt force out of all the forces.There is no doubt about it that generals work with politicos to make money from foreign arms lobby as V.K.singh's case has shown how he was booted out for taking stand against it.
3.There is already a case in past where IA mechanized corp officers had tempered with the Arjun tank's transmission system to prove it a failure.When German RENK came to india examine transmission of the arjun tank they clearly said someone has tempered with it.And i believe same thing happened with nag user trial.

DRDO need to deal with not only tech problems but the skeptical IA too.

Good that AK Antony is all favour of 'made in India'

Just so you know what a corrupt and corporate Army looks like, look West. ;)

IA is the most apolitical Army in the entire developing world.

I agree with you. To our west is Afghanistan. Its Army, like India's is as corrupt and as corporate as India's. Thank you.

DRDO need to deal with not only tech problems but the skeptical IA too.

Good that AK Antony is all favour of 'made in India'

That's a good news. Nothing will work for at least next 20-30 years.

Indigenous development programs do involve failures. . . Cause everything is to be built from scrap.But what amazes me is that there are some great nations which never witness any such failures :woot:!!How come!!!???

There is a saying : "Fail...Fail....till the program gets closed" :rofl:

No it doesn't, not with DRDO. They continue failing and never stop failing and still continue. An optimistic organization indeed.

Indigenous development programs do involve failures. . . Cause everything is to be built from scrap.But what amazes me is that there are some great nations which never witness any such failures :woot:!!How come!!!???

When scrap goes in, scrap comes out.

dnt need to reply 'tickr' guys be on topic.. We all knw abt pakistan's so called indegenous weapons.. Atleast we are trying and admitting that it failed in trials.. We 'll succeed sooner or later! :)

a question..previous version of Namica was proved to be capable in previous trails.they modified it this time and it failed test????plus,Army was satisfied by the performance of Nag since 2009..even it was about to go into production.what happened suddenly??

I am not sure but I think that this was an user trial for HELINA(Helicopter launched version)and not the one to be launched from land based platform(NAMICA)!!As far as I remember the HELINA is a fairly new development and hence a few setbacks in the user trials could not be completely ruled out.Now the fact remains that during the test what went wrong. . .I think there must have been a glitch with the guidance system!!

Back
Top Bottom