What's new

DRDO's AESA radar for tajas mk2 is derived from Israeli EL/M 2052

Let's wait for other sources to report this. To me, it seems unlikely, for several reasons. I wouldn't mind if it was true - the El/M-2052 is a fantastic radar for such a small fighter. But earlier they were arm twisted by the US into not selling them to India, and I don't think anything has changed for that to be different now. Besides, DRDO has been working to build a fighter sized AESA to fit on the Tejas.

A foreign radar might be better than anything DRDO can come up with, in the next few years; but if nobody is willing to sell us one with complete ToT, then the DRDO radar is our best bet for Mk2.

There was a report recently in Flightglobal which quoted an IAI executive that EL-2052 was available for export and was sold to two customers. One of those was equipped with ~ 500 TRx while the other with ~300. I thought the first one was probably Tejas but due to this being unconfirmed and DRDO boasting of developing AESA for Mk-2, I did not put this in the thread.

Here is that report : talking about export of El-2052..

ISRAEL & IN FOCUS: AESA radar emerges from US export shadow - 1/20/2014 - Flight Global

There was a report recently in Flightglobal which quoted an IAI executive that EL-2052 was available for export and was sold to two customers. One of those was equipped with ~ 500 TRx while the other with ~300. I thought the first one was probably Tejas but due to this being unconfirmed and DRDO boasting of developing AESA for Mk-2, I did not put this in the thread.

Here is that report : talking about export of El-2052..

ISRAEL & IN FOCUS: AESA radar emerges from US export shadow - 1/20/2014 - Flight Global

Janon is right about this, once IDRW is a crappy source, even if they take articles from other sources, they soup them up with their own ideas and sensational parts. Secondly, the AESA and even a joint development with us, based on the EL 2052 techs, was always denied by the US, if that has changed, that would be a major step and surely would had been anounced somewhere from officials
Wrt to the Flight Global report, it showed that the size of the exported radars and the number of TR moduls seems to fit upgrades of older fighters, rather than newly developed once:

The applications involved in the first two export deals appear to fall on the low end of the fighter market...

...Licht described the export versions of the EL/M-2052 now in production as having two different sizes. One is equipped with “something like 512” T/R modules. The other export customer has “a little more than 300” T/R modules, as the antenna “was adapted to the nose of the fighter”.

We know that the Israelis are offering the IAI Kfir Block 60 with the AESA for export customers and modifying it's old nose design to fit a modern radar would limit the radar size more than it would do for the LCA, which was designed to fit a rather large radar.

Besides all that I would add the fact, that it would be rather disappointing if the MK2 would have a varient of the EL 2052, which only means that DRDO would had failed again to develop an indigenous radar. Remember, the initial plan was a fully indigenous puls doppler MMR, then it was to be a hybrid between the indigenous one and some parts of the EL 2032 (reporteldy aimed on A2G modes and capabilities), but today we know that the MK1 and even all upgraded Jags will get the EL 2032, with some indigenous customizations only. So we are able to contribute systems to a foreign radar (EL 2032, Bars, FGFA AESA and if the report is true EL 2052), but not fully develop an own radar, contrary to what DRDO claims.

To be sure the Israeli-Indian partnership is doing wonders for both parties. India gets access to world-leading military electronics, Israel gets a much needed friend and money. Outstanding radar system, not too convinced about the tejas however.

Yes, all the easy components, concepts taken from rest of the world, do some programming over 30 years, and call them Indian. Hey, i assembled a PC. should it be called my own product?

By that logic, JF-17 is already ahead. As usual, bring Pakistan in when cannot stay on topic.

The Radar is imported, the initial weapons are imported, the delta design was a rip off of a Mirage (yes India designed that), putting up few bolts and Nuts, yes India did that. Yet, the main things like Engine and Radar cannot be done at home. Great achievement for 1.2 billion people.
Now to put some reality into your mind:

All of the components/systems that you mentioned, likewise on JF-17 were designed in Pakistan. Heck, even the open architecture (C/C++) was Pakistani, so was the LERX, DSI etc.

If it took you 30 years to develop a FBW and put together some bunch of LCDs, then yes be proud of your achievements.
wow... you are an expert on aviation indeed...

got my copy of Vayu yesterday some points on 2052

it was confirmed to Vayu writer way back in 2013 Aero India about 2052

he failed to confirm if it will be Hybrid or derivative or some parts of 2052 radar will be used in Indian Aesa .

he mentioned that after Export ban it was believed that 2032 Hybird MMR will be used has a base to develop AESA radar but now he has been confirmed that it will be based on 2052 but again he failed to mention what will be contribution of Israeli systems in Indian Aesa .

Whatever..... we are gettin the radar!!!! Thats all what I care..

I think only the processor will be Israeli. All the other Sub-Systems will be Indian (basically derved from the current AEW aircraft we are developing.

MERA JOOTA HEY JAPANI

YE PATLOON ENGLISTAANI

SARR PE LAAL TOPI ROOSI

PHIR BHI DILL HE HINDOSTANI

MERA JOOTA HEY JAPANI

YE PATLOON ENGLISTAANI

SARR PE LAAL TOPI ROOSI

PHIR BHI DILL HE HINDOSTANI
Mera airframe hain cheeni,
Yeh radar bhi hain cheeni,
Peeche engine to hai roosi,
Baki sab kuch hain non-*****,
phir bhi plane hain Pakistani.

*(I'm using "****" only to suit the meter of the song, not as an ethnic slur. Same with "cheeni".)

So Now TEJAS will match the Radar of F16D Block 52s

Israel’s Elta Systems Ltd. is planning a maiden flight test of its new EL/M 2052 active phased-array fire control radar, which is aimed at the international fighter aircraft upgrade market.

The multimode radar, unveiled publicly at the Aero India exhibition in Bangalore earlier this year, synthesizes synthetic aperture radar (SAR) and phased-array radar capabilities developed for larger reconnaissance platforms or pods into a single system small enough to be packed in the nose of fighter jets.

Based on solid-state active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar technology, the EL/M 2052 is designed to operate in air-to-air, precision ground strike and air-to-sea modes at the same time, with each mode optimized to find and track multiple targets with exceedingly high resolution. According to specifications released by the company, the radar will weigh 130 to 180 kilograms (286 to 396 pounds) and operate on four to 10 kilovolt amperes of power, depending on antenna size.

In the air-to-air role, the radar is designed to detect, track and target multiple aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles or low-flying targets such as helicopters. At sea, the radar is designed to search, classify and track targets, while also performing maritime patrol and surveillance functions. And, in the air-to-ground role, the radar exploits SAR technology to sort through clutter and other terrain-obscuring elements to identify and track ground objects on the move, according to company marketing data.

“This radar introduces new dimensions to air superiority and advanced strike missions. It’s a real breakthrough because of all the different types of targets and missions that can be handled at the same time,” Elta President Israel Livnat told C4ISR Journal.

In an early March interview, Livnat said Elta had invested a significant amount of independent research and development funds on technologies incorporated in the new radar. The company is now testing the system on the ground and subsequently will test it on a Boeing 737.

“We’ve done a lot of ground tests and field checks, and will soon begin flying the radar in our 737 test bed. At the same time, we’re examining a derivative of this X-band technology for different types of ground applications,” Livnat said.

NOT ON U.S. FIGHTERS

As for potential customers of the new radar, industry officials acknowledged that U.S. government restrictions prevent Elta or its parent company, Israel Aircraft Industries Ltd., from integrating the new radar in U.S. F-16 and F-15 fighters flown by the Israel Air Force. Similarly, the planned U.S. F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is not a candidate for the EL/M 2052, since the Pentagon is insisting that only a home-grown U.S. radar will be offered with the new aircraft.

Livnat said Elta’s principal focus for the EL/M 2052 is the international fighter upgrade market. He noted that preliminary market forecasts indicate that hundreds of fighter platforms could be made available for significant upgrades over the next 10 years.

However, Livnat emphasized that Elta is just now beginning to market the new radar, and therefore has no specific customer nation or fighter aircraft within its grasp.

“We don’t want to rule out any platform, since we have experience in adapting our radars to many different platforms. It all depends on the countries that may choose to upgrade existing fleets for the air superiority and advanced strike role instead of purchasing new aircraft,” he said.

When asked about the new Elta radar, a senior executive from Lockheed Martin, prime contractor for the F-16 as well as the planned F-35, insisted that Elta would not be able to offer the EL/M 2052 on any American aircraft without the express approval of U.S. airframe manufacturers and the U.S. government.

Interviewed during a visit to Israel on March 28, the Lockheed Martin executive said: “The Israelis can’t add a radar to their own F-16s or any F-16s on the market, for that matter, without permission from Lockheed Martin and the U.S. government. Without approval to provide the software interface, those aircraft cannot be supported … and I seriously doubt that there will be a change in U.S. policy regarding software source codes anytime in the foreseeable future.”

http://www.isrjournal.com/story.php?F=757135

PATENTS GRANTED (in May 2005)

DMRL, Hyderabad :
• A Process for Preparation of Iron Aluminides.
• A Process for Preparation of Light Weight Ceramic Compounds Material for use in Bullet Proof Panel/Shelters.
• A Process for Preparation of Rubber Lining Material.
• A Process for Preparation of Titanium Matrix Composite.
• A process for the Production of Titanium Matrix Composites.
• A process for making Near Net Shaped Metal Matrix Composites.

LRDE, Bangalore :

• Transmit/Receiver Module for Active Phased Array Antenna.

Activities - Design and Development of Radar Systems

Army
- Multifunction Phased Array Radar and 3D Surveillance Radar for Akash Missile
Weapon System
- Low Level 2D Radar for Fire Control and Air Defence
- Short Range Battle Field Surveillance Radar
- Weapon Locating Radar

Air Force
- Active Phased Array Radar for AEW&C
- Low level 2D radar and 3D Short & Medium Range Surveillance Radar for Air Defence

Navy
- Maritime Patrol Radar for fixed and Rotary Wing Aircraft
- Maritime Patrol Radar with SAR & ISAR
- 3D Medium Range Surveillance Radar for ASW Corvettes

Development of Radar Technologies
- Antennae: Slotted Waveguide, Patch Array & Multibeam Antenna
- T/R Modules and Active Aperture Arrays
- Programmable DSP
- Radar Data Processors
- High Average Power TWT based Transmitters
- High purity sources
- Multi-channel double hetrodyne receivers