What's new

DRDO to test K-15 submarine launched ballistic missile on Jan 31

Veeru

BANNED
Reaction score
DRDO to test K-15 submarine launched ballistic missile on Jan 31

BALASORE: The DRDO has rescheduled the test-firing of submarine launched ballistic missile ( SLBM) K-15 to January 31. It was supposed to be test-fired from an underwater platform off the Vishakhapatnam coast on January 20.

"The test was first scheduled on January 16, but was postponed to January 20. Now it has again been rescheduled to January 31 due to delay in arrangements. It is a coordinated exercise of both land and Navy personnel," a source said.

"India can join the league of five nations, Russia, US, France, Britain and China, with the successful launch of the K-15 missile. These countries already possess advanced missiles that can be launched from a submarine," sources said.

The indigenously developed K-15 or the B-05 missile are 10 metres in length, one metre in diameter and weighs ten tonnes with a strike range of around 700 km.

This missile uses solid propellant and carries a conventional payload of about 500 kg to one tone and also be fitted with a tactical nuclear warhead. "The missile is ready for the test. But preparation is on for locating the Pontoon (replica of a submarine) inside the sea. The tracking machineries and technical equipment have been shifted from the integrated test range to Vishakhapatnam," the source added.

The K-15 missile has been tested at least six times and is in serial production. The missile was initially test-fired under the name of Sagarika project. While its launching was recorded partial success twice, the rest were claimed as "successful trials" by the DRDO.

The missile, which can be compared with the Tomahawk missile of US, is India's response to Pakistan's Babur missile. The source further said that the Navy has reportedly been insisting for the test of K-15's cruise variant as it is hard to be obstructed and has pinpoint accuracy.

"Cruise missiles are more difficult to detect and hence less vulnerable to anti-missile defence, which can track and destroy ballistic missiles with comparative ease," a defence scientist said. "Besides, the K-15 missile, India has another missile which can also be launched from a submarine. In a joint collaboration with Russia, a submarine-launched version of BrahMos cruise missile has been developed," he added.

Read more: K-15 test rescheduled to Jan 31 - The Times of India K-15 test rescheduled to Jan 31 - The Times of India

Great news. Waiting for the SLBM test. Good to see that K-15 is in serial production.

The missile, which can be compared with the Tomahawk missile of US, is India's response to Pakistan's Babur missile.

As usual desi journo! he doesn't know anything about the missile!!! K-15 is not a cruise missile.

Bro kinetic,check the last para of the article.its the defence scientist,who actually confirmed it as a cruise missile.

Bro kinetic,check the last para of the article.its the defence scientist,who actually confirmed it as a cruise missile.

Jako, what Kinetic said is correct. Sagarika is a 700 km SLBM.

But after seeing the last para I am terribly confused as to which missile they are testing.

Is this is a typo on the part of the journo or this is a coverup for another secret missile test and the scientist had inadvertantly spilled the beans.

:confused:

Guys read the post carefully.............

The missile, which can be compared with the Tomahawk missile of US, is India's response to Pakistan's Babur missile. The source further said that the Navy has reportedly been insisting for the test of K-15's cruise variant as it is hard to be obstructed and has pinpoint accuracy.

Normal K-15 is powered by two stage, solid fueled rocket motors, it means ballistic missile. But they are refering to cruise varient of K-15. Well its quite possible, but then the propulsion system should be different.

Any one having detailed description about this missile please share.

Guys read the post carefully.............

Normal K-15 is powered by two stage, solid fueled rocket motors, it means ballistic missile. But they are refering to cruise varient of K-15. Well its quite possible, but then the propulsion system should be different.

Any one having detailed description about this missile please share.

the land version of K-15 is the shaurya which is a hypersonic cruise missile( which flies like a hypersonic cruise missile at 50 km altitude and descend towards the target like a cruise missile with maneuvers ) so it is possible that K-15 is also a type of a cruise missile.
I think they found out how to put a tactical missile in a cruise missile trajectory.

Last edited:
the land version of K-15 is the Shaurya and the Shaurya being a tactical missile flies like a cruise missile after 50 kms of altitude and descending towards the target with exactly same maneuvers of a cruise missile. It can also fly at hypersonic speed at low altitudes.

I think they found out how to put a tactical missile in a cruise missile trajectory/fly path. So K-15 could also be one of that type. :cheesy:

Yes, but please note these important points:
1. DRDO has denied that Shaurya missile is any way connected to project K-15.
2. No where I found that Shaurya has all solid motors.

Let me explain, rate of combustion in case of solid propellant is most difficult to control that is why all cruise missiles have jet engines (in case of sub-sonic) or ramjet engines (in case of hypersonic) as second stage of propulsion fueled by some liquid. First stage rocket motors are just used during boost stage.

Yes, but please note these important points:
1. DRDO has denied that Shaurya missile is any way connected to project K-15.
2. No where I found that Shaurya has all solid motors.

Let me explain, rate of combustion in case of solid propellant is most difficult to control that is why all cruise missiles have jet engines (in case of sub-sonic) or ramjet engines (in case of hypersonic) as second stage of propulsion fueled by some liquid. First stage rocket motors are just used during boost stage.

well, it is possible that they are putting it in a cruise missile fly path with the same solid rocket motor, if it's achievable and if Not, then they have made shaurya capable of launching it from the pontoon launcher. Many things are done secretly just like the previous K series launch in Jan i guess.

Bro karthik has explained well. Its quite sure and proven from the video that we cannot call Shaurya and K-15 cruise missile.

I have doubt about Rout's general knowledge about defence. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

at 0:07 seconds

'' its is announced that a submarine based cruise missile''

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro karthik has explained well. Its quite sure and proven from the video that we cannot call Shaurya and K-15 cruise missile.

YouTube - India's Shaurya Missile Launch

I have doubt about Rout's general knowledge about defence. :rolleyes:

the launcher looks more like an non-submerged pontoon launcher.

its DRDO who said that it(Shaurya) FLIES like a hypersonic cruise missile.

i am very confused about these missiles,sagarika,k-15,shaurya,nirbhay.which one is a cruise,which one is ballistic???:confused: i am even confuged which one is a land version,naval version or sub version..:lol:

can someone briefly say about those...:D

i am very confused about these missiles,sagarika,k-15,shaurya,nirbhay.which one is a cruise,which one is ballistic???:confused: i am even confuged which one is a land version,naval version or sub version..:lol:

can someone briefly say about those...:D
Ok, in brief:)

Sagarika - Ballistic missile.

K-15 - Nothing again, but new name for Sagarika
Shaurya - Quasi-ballistic missile, but mostly a cruise missile as it has a cruise missile type trajectory.
Nirbhay - A subsonic cruise missile.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom