What's new

DRDO to test K-15 submarine launched ballistic missile on Jan 31

Cruise and Ballistic have become paradigms than technologies. Most modern ballistic missiles aren't completely ballistic - they have maneuvering warheads or warhead bus. This Shaurya/K-15 is apparently not ballistic at all since its warhead does not simply fall under gravity. It can adjust its coarse all the way to the target, what is called a shaped trajectory (I find it hard to believe the rocket burns all the way to the 700km, which would exceed the burn time of most solid motors), just like Iskander or HIMARS or possibly our very own Hatf-1.

Summarizing, it flies using classical ballistic missile technology, but its guidance probably is in control of its path till impact, like a cruise missile.

Cruise and Ballistic have become paradigms than technologies. Most modern ballistic missiles aren't completely ballistic - they have maneuvering warheads or warhead bus. This Shaurya/K-15 is apparently not ballistic at all since its warhead does not simply fall under gravity. It can adjust its coarse all the way to the target, what is called a shaped trajectory (I find it hard to believe the rocket burns all the way to the 700km, which would exceed the burn time of most solid motors), just like Iskander or HIMARS or possibly our very own Hatf-1.

Summarizing, it flies using classical ballistic missile technology, but its guidance probably is in control of its path till impact, like a cruise missile.
Buddy why do you want to speculate how is its trajectory or to which missiles it is comparable to. I would just suggest do some reading on the web and you won't need to speculate.

Cruise and Ballistic have become paradigms than technologies. Most modern ballistic missiles aren't completely ballistic - they have maneuvering warheads or warhead bus.

Buddy - Correct me if Iam wrong. As far as I know, Ballistic and Cruise, are two different trajectories, so if any missile follows either if this trajectory becomes that type of missile. So warheads are a different thing.

This Shaurya/K-15 is apparently not ballistic at all since its warhead does not simply fall under gravity. .

So if you are saying Sagarika which is a ballistic missile doesnt fall to gravity? so what type of missile it is?

It can adjust its coarse all the way to the target, what is called a shaped trajectory (I find it hard to believe the rocket burns all the way to the 700km, which would exceed the burn time of most solid motors),

Adjusting the trajectory again are two different things for Ballistic and Cruise. Blaiistic missile cant adjust its trajectory like the cruise missile will do, coz it falls to gravity, and the only adjustment that happens is a course correction through thurst vector, but cruise can hug the tarrain, so the design principles are different for both Sagarika and Shaurya.

the launcher looks more like an non-submerged pontoon launcher.

its DRDO who said that it(Shaurya) FLIES like a hypersonic cruise missile.

Mate we can't called Shaurya ballistic missile either. Yes it flies like a hypersonic cruise missile but at much higher altitude and its highly maneuverable like cruise missiles. So its closer to cruise missile than ballistic missile. It has unique features of both ballistic and cruise missile.

Somehow such missiles are called as 'Hypersonic Boost Glide Missile'.

Buddy - Correct me if Iam wrong. As far as I know, Ballistic and Cruise, are two different trajectories, so if any missile follows either if this trajectory becomes that type of missile. So warheads are a different thing.
Missile designers conceive a missile system according to functionality and role, not textbook definitions. Yes if you go by the definition of a cruise missile it is an unmanned kamikaze aeroplane. What if they needed something that could fly in a non-ballistic trajectory and be controllable (pre-programmed of course) like a cruise missile, you can't say no you got to first decide the category then make the missile. Form follows function. Definition follows last. Marketing slogans even later!

I mentioned maneuvering warheads since in all known MRBM+s the warhead (RV) separates and it is only part of the missile that reaches the target. It is either purely ballistic or quasi/partly ballistic.

So if you are saying Sagarika which is a ballistic missile doesnt fall to gravity? so what type of missile it is?
Refer to Kinetic's post.

Adjusting the trajectory again are two different things for Ballistic and Cruise. Blaiistic missile cant adjust its trajectory like the cruise missile will do, coz it falls to gravity, and the only adjustment that happens is a course correction through thurst vector, but cruise can hug the tarrain, so the design principles are different for both Sagarika and Shaurya.
Explained above. Do note as well that the Shaurya would travel in a rather flat trajectory.

OK I'll be content to call it a ballistic missile since currently many other ballistic missiles shape their trajectories to some extent.

Thanks.

DRDO plans another K-15 missile launch

CHENNAI: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) plans another test-firing of the K-15 missile from a pontoon off the coast of Visakhapatnam.

Developed under the Sagarika project, the K-15 has been test-fired several times from submerged pontoons off Visakhapatnam.

The pontoon, simulating the conditions of a submarine, will be positioned about 10 to 20 metres below the sea surface. A gas-charged booster will erupt into life, driving the two-stage missile to the surface. The missile's first stage will then ignite and it will climb 20 km in the air before cutting a parabolic path and travelling over a range of 700 km.
The missile, which is under production, can carry both conventional and nuclear warheads. It will form part of the lethal arsenal of the country's first nuclear-powered submarine, Arihant, which is undergoing sea trials. India is building two more such submarines.
The DRDO is developing a K-4 underwater-launched missile, which will have a range of 3,000 km. Developmental tests of the missile's gas-booster have taken place from a pontoon. :tup:
The sixth launch of the interceptor missile, developed by the DRDO, is scheduled for the first fortnight of February. A modified Prithvi missile, taking off from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur on the Orissa coast, will act as an “enemy” missile.

The interceptor, to be fired from the Wheeler Island, off Damra on the State's coast, will ambush the “enemy” missile in endo-atmosphere at an altitude of 15 km.

Sources in the DRDO called it “a tricky mission” because the attacker would have a manoeuvrable trajectory and try to dodge the interceptor from homing in on it. Of the five earlier missions, four were successful.

shaurya-21.jpg

Last edited:
The DRDO is developing a K-4 underwater-launched missile, which will have a range of 3,000 km. Developmental tests of the missile's gas-booster have taken place from a pontoon. :tup:

It might be that the K-4 is in reality the A-4, the missing link in the Agni series.

is there any official conformation about the test today?

This test was a near Disaster...Here is the Proof :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom