What's new

Do these Laowai speak better Chinese than you?

Do they?

• Yes

• OMG yes

• No

• NO NO NO

• :(

• :)

• :|

Results are only viewable after voting.

AndrewJin

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Think about that, there are so many Laowai (foreigners) who do speak decent Chinese (Putonghua dialect) than you know.

Of course, they do worse than you in terms of proficiency, usage of idioms, usage of classical poems, etc. But to be frank, some of them have better Putonghua (common speech/Mandarin) tones than me (though I am not ashamed of my Putonghua with a sense of Wuhan accent).

And there is a proportion of sophisticated Chinese learners who not only master the tones of Putonghua, but also can recite classical poems written by Qu Yuan before B.C., use 4-character idioms dating back to several thousand years ago, know a lot of cultural knowledge here and there. Their knowledge of Chinese culture is still shallow, probably need their lifetime to learn, but better then I previously thought.

Anyway, 颤抖吧,少年!

Let' see an example....
Taiwan singer group, S.H.E vs France-born 金小鱼
She chose my family name Jin 金:p:,her Chinese names literally means Gold Little Fish)
Same song, named 中国话 (Chinese/ Language of China)

Original version

Jin's version

Have I opened the wrong channel???

Last edited:
Third round of finals of 15th Chinese Bridge Competition held

Rednet (Changsha): On July 31, the third round of finals of 15th Chinese Bridge-Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students was held in Changsha. Contestants sing popular songs (such as Coolest Ethnic Trend, My Skateboard Shoes) and Beijing opera, play Chinese character mahjong and jokes with netizens, etc. in the competition. Even Chinese peddlers’ or vendors’ cries of selling in the 1990s and classic lines in Chinese costume dramas are included in the competition to test contestants’ Chinese proficiency in knowledge, cultural common sense and daily life of Chinese people.

2016 15th Chinese Bridge-Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students will be screened in Hunan Satellite Television at 22:00 o’clock every Tuesday from September 13.

Original link: “汉语桥”决赛全场都是套路 学霸传授麻将胡牌技巧

红网长沙7月31日讯(时刻新闻记者 陈美淇 实习生 赵毅旻)30日,第十五届“汉语桥”世界大学生中文比赛决赛第三场在长沙火热开赛。哼神曲、唱京剧、逗网友、打麻将,选手们迎来了满满都是套路的一场决赛。

《最炫民族风》《我的滑板鞋》等神曲一出场,不但没有难倒选手们,反而使现场瞬间成为神曲歌友会。考题中还加入了中国上世纪90年代走街串巷的叫卖吆喝、古装剧中的经典台词,全方位考察选手们的汉语知识、文化常识和对中国人日常生活的了解。

第十五届“汉语桥”世界大学生中文比赛将于9月13日起每周二晚十点在湖南卫视与观众见面。

2016112612834140.jpg

20161126463189135.jpg

20161126227749286.jpg

2016112728952701.jpg

Most native don't use proper words or grammatical but who learn the basics knows well
In France my starter days faced same as French women used to speak Urdu much nyc then rest of Urdu speakers

Chinese Bridge series of competitions include, one for foreigners studying abroad, one for foreigners studying in China, one for middle school students studying abroad, and one for commercial Chinese.

This video is from last year....
Hunan Province TV held the Chinese Bridge-Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students
Of course, they do not speak so well as those studying in China (held by channel CCTV4)
But I am still impressed by some contestants, especially the NZ dude...

The final night (with English subtitle)
The list of all rounds of the final
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUM8x224JrX9BfLpy8aHVpxijUhHkEEfx

p.s. from 35:00 story of Famao people in Kenya
p.p.s.from 22:00 a show based on the Famao people acted by a group of foreign students studying Chinese

Very interesting, must watch!

@Gibbs @Kaptaan @Shotgunner51 @TopCat @UKBengali @el che @PaklovesTurkiye @Tipu7 @simple Brain @Götterdämmerung @Mista @eldarlmari @coffee_cup @waz @Arsalan @Dungeness @Two @bolo @Echo_419 @pts_m_h_2016 @Darmashkian @Pluralist @Khan_21 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @PaklovesTurkiye @hellfire @Two @AViet @anant_s @PARIKRAMA @Shotgunner51 @Ankit Kumar 002 @maximuswarrior @Huan @Darmashkian @Taygibay @LA se Karachi @911 @Cherokee @xyxmt @BDforever @Three_Kingdoms @T-123456 @somebozo @Maira La @vostok @senheiser @Nilgiri @terranMarine @Jlaw @Dandpatta @Philia @Hasan89 @pts_m_h_2016 @XenoEnsi-14 @grey boy 2 @Jlaw @Shotgunner51 @Fattyacids @TaiShang @Götterdämmerung @Gibbs @Chinese Bamboo @ChineseTiger1986 @Place Of Space @jkroo @waz @Kaptaan @somebozo @endyashainin @somsak @Sinopakfriend @Mista et al

你好 :P

Last edited:
我很好,谢谢。
另外,我的名字叫“帅”。
下次打招呼的时候记得把它放在后面。
@Rajput battalion Call this Logistics guy "傻“ pls :lol:

Most native don't use proper words or grammatical but who learn the basics knows well
In France my starter days faced same as French women used to speak Urdu much nyc then rest of Urdu speakers
Sadly, Chinese is classified as one of the most difficult languages to learn.
That's why I am impressed by some of them...
I feel sweet all over my body when watching the show...
Some know more about Chinese culture and recite more classical Chinese poems than me....

Are you serious?:D:D

You can speak fluent madarin do not represent that you have better knowledge than a middle school students.

To admit, some top competitors have decent knowledge than some of members here especially @AndrewJin :D:D

A high context language is very interesting and good to your logic thinking when you touch it.:cheers:

Are you serious?:D:D

You can speak fluent madarin do not represent that you have better knowledge than a middle school students.

To admit, some top competitors have decent knowledge than some of members here especially @AndrewJin :D:D

A high context language is very interesting and good to your logic thinking when you touch it.:cheers:
Dude, aren't u from Changsha where this competition is held???

But you r right to some extent, speaking fluent Chinese does not translate into having more knowledge about China than a middle school students....
I have NO comment about the rest of your claims....

I'm pretty sure 50+% of them have better tones than you....
(having better tones does not mean better Chinese though)
W020160811352496695020.jpg
W020160811352496739537.jpg
W020160811352496793394.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, aren't u from Changsha where this competition is held???
You guys speak rubbish Putonghua!!!
But you r right to some extent, speaking fluent Chinese does not translate into having more knowledge about China than a middle school students....
I have NO comment about the rest of your claims....

I'm pretty sure 50+% of them have better tones than you....
View attachment 337514 View attachment 337515 View attachment 337516
Not better than mine. Then the rest is true.:D

Not better than mine. Then the rest is true.:D
Never have I seen a single Changsha resident speaking good Putonghua.....
(Half of my blood is from Hunan Province, my mother speaks rubbish Putonghua....)
Even some of the hosts in this competition speak bad Putonghua!!!
You guys should overhaul your TV channel....

Such show to make fun of Vietnamese singers should be banned!
Hunan TV should be overhauled!
Especially the hosts, should speak better Putonghua!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom