What's new

Do not go gentle into that good night...

the meteor that passed over russia early 2013... just its passage kilometers above damaged 1000+ buildings and other possible damage and caused 7000+ injuries... and that meteor was about 20+ meters wide... imagine the damage by this four kilometer wide comet exploding in earth's lower atmosphere or smashing into the ground.

there is the "apophis" asteroid that is supposed by pass within 35,000 kilometers of earth in 2028... and a possible second pass, what six years later [ question mark here... that key is not working ]

i too meant the same. :-)
ah, there we differ... what i meant was time is not a physical object like a radio star or asteroid... time exists by experience or measurement.
there may be a bio-timer within them but since they are not sentient they will not use time like we do.
like in the animal world birds measure time by sun's position
Hmmmm..Mr Jamahir see I'm no physicist but I can tell you that logically, if there was no time, then everything would happen simultaneously and you could get from a to b instantly (aka, in no time). Since it doesn't and you can't...time must exist.Something that you said doesnt exist in one of ur post.
Now everyone perceives time in a different way. Animals would definitely be having a bio-timer
because they not just track the sun's position but also the weather and seasons thats the reason some animals store food in advance before the winter arrives.

Marcus, thx for the detailed explanation....though i don't think the same with you...

Are you into relativity, special relativity, general theory of relativity and stuff like that ?
Yeah even I was confused if it was really the @MarkusS i know. Lolzz
Seriously @MarkusS, you did explain it in great details. I didnt understand much of the movie so i read most of the sites which explained the story of interstellar. Lol.

Hmmmm..Mr Jamahir see I'm no physicist but I can tell you that logically, if there was no time, then everything would happen simultaneously and you could get from a to b instantly (aka, in no time). Since it doesn't and you can't...time must exist.Something that you said doesnt exist in one of ur post.
Now everyone perceives time in a different way. Animals would definitely be having a bio-timer
because they not just track the sun's position but also the weather and seasons thats the reason some animals store food in advance before the winter arrives.

Yeah even I was confused if it was really the @MarkusS i know. Lolzz
Seriously @MarkusS, you did explain it in great details. I didnt understand much of the movie so i read most of the sites which explained the story of interstellar. Lol.

such things are in great interest for me. :D Im happy when i can talk about it and its simply fascinating.

Some more pictures of our comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko :D

Its amazing. We learned so much already. Imagine when Rosetta started 10 years ago all expected comets to be shaped like a potato and be like clumped dust. The majority of scientists believed a comet is like a dirty "snow ball".

When Rosetta finally closed in on its target this year and send first pictures the scientists were shocked. They were not released at first because nobody expected this and they had to figure out what it means. Nobody can explain its unusual form right now. Some think it was originally two comets who collided with low speed and got stuck at each other.

Another thing we already learned is that comets are not soft as we thought. Its not a snowball at all. It is rock hard. The Philae Lander almost failed because of this.

The landing on the comet was one of the most risky operations in space explorations. But Philae did land and was able to do all its research. Now scientists hope that philae awakenes again and can do additional stuff and send it to Rosetta which orbits the comet.

Look how Professor Monica Grady reacts when Philae touched down:

Comet_on_1_December_2014_NavCam_node_full_image_2.jpg

Comet_on_26_November_NavCam_node_full_image_2.jpg

Comet_on_30_November_2014_NavCam_node_full_image_2.jpg

Comet_on_17_November_NavCam_node_full_image_2.jpg

To be honest, I've not seen the film 'Sunshine'. Is it a recent documentary?

no, it is a big film from 2007 by the british director, danny boyle, who has made two other wonderful science-fiction films, "28 weeks later" and "flood"... ( Sunshine (2007 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

"sunshine" has beautiful imagery and mostly has very natural acting, none of the hollywood-style shouting and shooting.

i recommend another science-fiction film, "gattaca"... it is about a future world scenario when children are born after being precisely selected for genetic and physical "perfection".

That movie, tho officially 3 hours long, seemed, to me that is, not long enough. .

my sentiment too... i wanted it to go on.

The essential , underlying theme of primordial forces to be with your loved ones or to accept the sacrificial role of leaving one's comfort zone to realize and achieve the greater good (in regards to the main protagonist, was finding a future for humanity).

i agree... the film provokes the audience to stop being selfish and think of society as their own because they live in it... the background of space is i think the greatest agent provocateur.

That internal conflict, that scathing acceptance of what needed to be done despite one's intrapsychic tension to be with loved ones--- is what , for me that is, captivated my attention and drew my tears.

i think american films have more of the "family as the permanent and divine institution"... and this film asks the audience to break that idea and think of humanity as their true family.

good explanation... but i will still hold two things... (a). there is no central clock to co-ordinate events in the universe, unless we speak of god, (b). as of now, we cannot use our human understanding of "time" to control such things like "fold space to shorten travel", because distances and gravity are physical/real but "space-time" is more or less philosophical, but i am still wondering about your explanation.

Now everyone perceives time in a different way. Animals would definitely be having a bio-timer because they not just track the sun's position but also the weather and seasons thats the reason some animals store food in advance before the winter arrives.

i agree.

Its not a snowball at all. It is rock hard.

that had been my question too.

these two photos seem to be composed of four shots each... i wonder why.

good explanation... but i will still hold two things... (a). there is no central clock to co-ordinate events in the universe, unless we speak of god, (b). as of now, we cannot use our human understanding of "time" to control such things like "fold space to shorten travel", because distances and gravity are physical/real but "space-time" is more or less philosophical, but i am still wondering about your explanation.
well you're right that there's no central clock. And I do believe time is perceived differently by all the beings.
And about space-time being philosophical.....I dont agree.
Just because its hard for us to imagine or prove it, doesn't mean that time doesn't exist. Like I said in the absence of time we would 've reached from one point to another in 0 seconds.
Just because we can perceive only 3 dimensions doesnt mean that there's no 4th or 5th dimension.We are stuck in our 3D world and I think @MarkusS 's video on page 2 explained it very well.
Do not go gentle into that good night... | Page 2
post #17

no, it is a big film from 2007 by the british director, danny boyle, who has made two other wonderful science-fiction films, "28 weeks later" and "flood"... ( Sunshine (2007 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

"sunshine" has beautiful imagery and mostly has very natural acting, none of the hollywood-style shouting and shooting.

i recommend another science-fiction film, "gattaca"... it is about a future world scenario when children are born after being precisely selected for genetic and physical "perfection".

i agree... the film provokes the audience to stop being selfish and think of society as their own because they live in it... the background of space is i think the greatest agent provocateur.

i think american films have more of the "family as the permanent and divine institution"... and this film asks the audience to break that idea and think of humanity as their true family.

i agree.

that had been my question too.

these two photos seem to be composed of four shots each... i wonder why.

Rosetta was very close at the comet at that moment so her camera could not take a picture of the full comet. So it took pictures of all its parts and they combined it.

well you're right that there's no central clock. And I do believe time is perceived differently by all the beings.
And about space-time being philosophical.....I dont agree.
Just because its hard for us to imagine or prove it, doesn't mean that time doesn't exist. Like I said in the absence of time we would 've reached from one point to another in 0 seconds.
Just because we can perceive only 3 dimensions doesnt mean that there's no 4th or 5th dimension.We are stuck in our 3D world and I think @MarkusS 's video on page 2 explained it very well.
Do not go gentle into that good night... | Page 2
post #17

of course time exists. Its the 4th dimension and the "concept" of time is what we humans have to meassure it. Time always flows forward. Time flows slower and faster depending on your location but it flows.

Sounds like it has a lot of imagery , and possible high allegorical use during the narration...that's what gets me. ;)

I've seen Gattaca a whiles back, really good film. Thanks for the recommendation, buddy, maybe i'll have to watch it again. :)

I wanted to see if he would find her again... :)

Ah, but then again that's the romantic in me.

Btw, @jamahir , if you like existential theme-line movies, I highly recommend the movie "Her" starring Joaquin Phoenix. There is a particular scene in that movie that reduced me to tears.

Sounds like it has a lot of imagery , and possible high allegorical use during the narration...that's what gets me. ;)

I've seen Gattaca a whiles back, really good film. Thanks for the recommendation, buddy, maybe i'll have to watch it again. :)

Btw, @jamahir , if you like existential theme-line movies, I highly recommend the movie "Her" starring Joaquin Phoenix. There is a particular scene in that movie that reduced me to tears.

The numer one scene of all movies that got me was the reentry in gravity.

The numer one scene of all movies that got me was the reentry in gravity.

Nice pick. When she crawls out, claws the red-clay earth, breathes and stands up, with sun shining on her...that's powerful. To me, it illustrates the human yearning to survive, to conquer, and to master the forces...

;)

A modern version of Caesar's monologue, "Veni Vedi Vici!"

Nice pick. When she crawls out, claws the red-clay earth, breathes and stands up, with sun shining on her...that's powerful. To me, it illustrates the human yearning to survive, to conquer, and to master the forces...

;)

A modern version of Caesar's monologue, "Veni Vedi Vici!"

Interesting fact. The Space Shuttle in Gravity is called "Explorer".

There actually really is a Shuttle called Explorer. Its a mock up build as the shuttle program started so people would get a sense what it will look like:

explorer_orbiter.jpg

The Shuttle in the movie was planned the be called "Atlantis". But NASA did not allow this for obvious reasons. The real Atlantis is a real Shuttle and highly honored around the world. Nobody would like to see Atlantis to ripped apart from debris in space. So the movie crew did Chose the Explorer. So Explorer did at least travel one time into space, but only in movie. :D

But Atlantis remains in the movie. The track that plays when Stone and Kowalsky return to the shuttle wreck is called:

i like the theme music in gattaca... (
)... it gives me the goose bumps.

for me, he meeting she would have been more nicer if the "time modification" idea wasn't there at all... but the film is a great journey and other things.

okay, i will watch it... and you and markus are talking about "gravity" which i also missed. :)

one scene that made me sad is roy's death scene towards the end... the film's hero helpless in saving roy, just watching him die...

one scene that made me sad is roy's death scene towards the end... the film's hero helpless in saving roy, just watching him die...

You're right! And in the end, Roy did get his "goal" to be out there the longest....

A true hero. Sacrificing himself for someone else.

Can't all countries just unite and work together when it comes to space programs? Why does there always needs to be a competition?

Back
Top Bottom