What's new

DMRC to help build Dhaka Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Loki dhaka definitely needs a mass rapid transit system. And it has to start somewhere.
Every train takes away a few hundred vehicles from street and once it grows to a critical size, people will use it as the only mode of transport.
Another thing, they should ban the cycle rickshaw ASAP and buy loads of buses(from their master India preferably :) ) till metro starts working.

Nippon Koei Ltd. of Japan is the chief consultant in this project.

Metro rail in 6 years | Deal signed with design consultant

Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd is just a co-consultant, along with Mott MacDonald Ltd of UK.

There will be initial hiccups for sure, but there is no alternative to MRT for a city like Dhaka.

I was talking about the other systems DMRC is building/has built
India does not need any 'technology provider' as it has already acquired enough technology and know how in the design,construction and management of such.projects.

Does Dhaka have wide roads to accommodate overhead metro or is it going to be partially underground??

DMRC has done a very good job with Delhi Metro and hopefully will do so in Dhaka.

Delhi Metro is the world's thirteenth largest metro system in terms of length. The metro has an average daily ridership of 2.01 million commuters. Imagine 2 million commuters removed from roads of Dhaka ... it will not only free up roads but also pollution.

Brief history of Delhi Metro:

Physical construction work on the Delhi Metro started on 1 October 1998.

Phase I completed 65.11 km (40.46 mi) of route length, of which 13.01 km (8.08 mi) is underground and 52.10 km (32.37 mi) surface or elevated. First line opened in 2002. The first phase of the project was completed in 2006, on budget and almost three years ahead of schedule, an achievement described by Business Week as "nothing short of a miracle".

Phase II of the network comprises 128 km (80 mi) of route length and 79 stations, and is fully completed, with the first section opened in June 2008 and the last line opened in August 2011.

The capital cost of Phases I and II has been estimated to be 144.30 billion (US$2.2 billion) at 2004 prices. However, more recent estimates have placed the cost of construction at 2 billion
($31 million) per kilometre.

Phases III (112 km) and IV (108.5 km) are planned to be completed by 2016 and 2021 respectively, with the network spanning 413 km (257 mi). Total daily ridership will increase to 4 million by then.

BTW if I'm looking to b
Oh, and now you are thinking I'm getting into party politics? :lol:

Both major parties were reluctant to do so anyways for vested interests.

The article you posted talks about infrastructure development in Chittagong. Not specifically on how to decentralize Dhaka.

And as for the Dhaka-Chittagong highway:
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/old/index.php?ref=MjBfMDlfMTFfMTNfMV8xXzE4Mjk5OQ==

If you don't know, no need to throw a tantrum. It's no biggy.
The other guy is right.
If good infrastructure is developed in another city, it will automatically have a magnetic pull reducing the pressure on Dhaka.

And every city has to start on Metro at some time or another. When DMRC started in Delhi, everyone said the same thing, it will take a lot of time, no use, etc, etc.

However DMRC executed the project at record paces and today the difference is more than visible. So its a good thing Dhaka is starting on mass transport.

The other guy is right.
If good infrastructure is developed in another city, it will automatically have a magnetic pull reducing the pressure on Dhaka.

And every city has to start on Metro at some time or another. When DMRC started in Delhi, everyone said the same thing, it will take a lot of time, no use, etc, etc.

However DMRC executed the project at record paces and today the difference is more than visible. So its a good thing Dhaka is starting on mass transport.

Chittagong is one city. What about other parts of the country? Everyone from other districts come to Dhaka due to lack of development in other parts of the country. Bangladesh lacks a regional level economic policy. And that is what makes it crowded.

And by the way, Chittagong is also pretty crowded. Not as much as Dhaka though.

No offence, but that is that most retarded statement I've read in a long time.

Have you ever been to Bangladesh? I take that as a no.

Then what is your point?

My point is that this, "metro would make little difference just like those useless flyovers", was a pretty retarded statement to have made no matter how you look at it.

Staying in the country is not the same as visiting.

So then why ask me if I've visited? That's kinda daft.

My point is that this, "metro would make little difference just like those useless flyovers", was a pretty retarded statement to have made no matter how you look at it.

Have you ever heard of the term "bottle-neck"? It is not a matter of how one looks at it. Traffic still haven't been significantly reduced despite all that infrastructure. That was my point.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Have you ever heard of the term "bottle-neck"? It is not a matter of how one looks at it. Traffic still haven't been significantly reduced despite all that infrastructure. That was my point.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

And my point is that it is absolutely retarded to compare the ineffectiveness of flyovers in a traffic-ridden nightmare of a metropolis with a metro rail mass transit system. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

And my point is that it is absolutely retarded to compare the ineffectiveness of flyovers in a traffic-ridden nightmare of a metropolis with a metro rail mass transit system. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

In theory, yes.

But that was from a practical point of view.

Chittagong is one city. What about other parts of the country? Everyone from other districts come to Dhaka due to lack of development in other parts of the country. Bangladesh lacks a regional level economic policy. And that is what makes it crowded.

And by the way, Chittagong is also pretty crowded. Not as much as Dhaka though.
It happens slowly Loki.
Your country does not have the money to invest in 10 different cities all at once.
When India was at Bangladesh's income level, we had the same issues.
This is simply a question of perseverence.

It happens slowly Loki.
Your country does not have the money to invest in 10 different cities all at once.
When India was at Bangladesh's income level, we had the same issues.
This is simply a question of perseverence.

True.

They built the Jamuna bridge back in the mid-90's. And yet, nothing happened in the northern parts of the country. No industrialization, nothing. Kids still run around naked in those parts. It is a matter of policy. Infrastructure is part of it.

Various parts of India developed because they maintain that level. We never see Indians from all cities coming to solely to New Delhi for jobs and education. That never happened.

In Bangladesh, that is yet to materialize. If they don't, it'll become a nightmarish situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom