What's new

DIY Desktop Rig - Home office/Light Gaming

MilSpec

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
decent machine. i'd personally go with a full atx case and MB. better for thermal management.
all else looks good. :tup:

possible alterations:

Go with a RAM with lower CAS latency. 11 is a bit high.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226381

GPU
go with a reference cooler design instead, the one you have will exhaust part of the hot air within the case. AMD vishera runs pretty hot already so my suggestion: get a reference design which fully exhausts air outside the case.

Sounds decent.

Whats your definition of "light gaming" ?

@sandy_3126
Instead of xfx I would suggest Gigabyte HD 7850 FOC card. Core clocks at 975 Mhz (860 reference clock), Windforce 2x cooling, silent even at full load (31dB), still room for OC. All that comes with an extra bucks of $15 to the xfx card. some free game coupon also there.
GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Gaming at 1080p won't be much problem with that card. Mostly hit above 40fps with ultra settings and AA in demanding games like Crysis 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
@sandy_3126
Instead of xfx I would suggest Gigabyte HD 7850 FOC card. Core clocks at 975 Mhz (860 reference clock), Windforce 2x cooling, silent even at full load (31dB), still room for OC. All that comes with an extra bucks of $15 to the xfx card. some free game coupon also there.
GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Gaming at 1080p won't be much problem with that card. Mostly hit above 40fps with ultra settings and AA in demanding games like Crysis 2.

Great suggestion mate...Thanks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a big (IPS) monitor. If you love movie and music, then get a sound card and high quality speakers. Reduce the cost of CPU, power supply, memory, video card up to 50%. No optical drive needed, you can install all software with USB drive.

I still using an old computer from several years ago, I played diablo 3 and other games occasionally. No any problem.

So I suggest you use the money for better audio/visual experience instead of useless computing power.

Buy a big (IPS) monitor. If you love movie and music, then get a sound card and high quality speakers. Reduce the cost of CPU, power supply, memory, video card up to 50%. No optical drive needed, you can install all software with USB drive.

I still using an old computer from several years ago, I played diablo 3 and other games occasionally. No any problem.

So I suggest you use the money for better audio/visual experience instead of useless computing power.

For anyone who wants to play any good games at reasonable levels the setup you recommend will be like showing up to a fire at a burning building with only a water balloon in your hand. You're going to get burned. HARD.

facepalm. did you forget to read OP's intended use for the PC.
he's not building a karaoke machine sunny chang

For anyone who wants to play any good games at reasonable levels the setup you recommend will be like showing up to a fire at a burning building with only a water balloon in your hand. You're going to get burned. HARD.

facepalm. did you forget to read OP's intended use for the PC.
he's not building a karaoke machine sunny chang

It is you who forget to read OP's intended use for the PC.

Instead of talking, how about give us some hard data why my build is not enough for Home office/Light Gaming?

Even a netbook is enough for home office. And audio/visual effects are necessary for gaming. Remember it is light gaming. A $100 video card is more than enough. Can you just name a game that needs 16Gb memory?

It is you who forget to read OP's intended use for the PC.

Instead of talking, how about give us some hard data why my build is not enough for Home office/Light Gaming?

Even a netbook is enough for home office. And audio/visual effects are necessary for gaming. Remember it is light gaming. A $100 video card is more than enough. Can you just name a game that needs 16Gb memory?

OP posted almost $1000 worth of components for his PC build and you recommended a PC that would have been laughed at 10 years ago. Please do share with us what games you are playing on your PC, I am curious to see what you are running. (minesweeper does not qualify...)

OP posted almost $1000 worth of components for his PC build and you recommended a PC that would have been laughed at 10 years ago. Please do share with us what games you are playing on your PC, I am curious to see what you are running. (minesweeper does not qualify...)

Can you read? I played Diablo 3, starcraft 2, just cause 2, kingdom of almala etc. Enough?

Now, you tell me a game my build can not play. Don't behave like expert if you know nothing.

Please with hard data please, don't just talk, it is easy.

Can you read? I played Diablo 3, starcraft 2, just cause 2, kingdom of almala etc. Enough?

Now, you tell me a game my build can not play. Don't behave like expert if you know nothing.

Please with hard data please, don't just talk, it is easy.

OK "expert" enjoy playing games at 20x40 resolution with 5 fps speeds. I have a great idea for you to save money. Forget a GPU. Spend the money on a projector and you can just beam pics up of games. It will play much smoother, plus you'll get a cool "tsshhh" noise between slides. :tup:

OK "expert" enjoy playing games at 20x40 resolution with 5 fps speeds. I have a great idea for you to save money. Forget a GPU. Spend the money on a projector and you can just beam pics up of games. It will play much smoother, plus you'll get a cool "tsshhh" noise between slides. :tup:

What a idiot. If you can not prove anything, just shut up.

Back
Top Bottom