What's new

Developing China's Soft Power

Since I learned how to use chopsticks, I expect you to learn how to use cutlery. We Americans have a saying, "Learning to eat pie with a fork" - it's all about marketing, the adjustments you have to practice to be acceptable to prospective customers.

(Gee, this discussion makes me HUNGRY! Sesame chicken and fried rice for dinner tonight. Will eat it with chopsticks, of course.)

Nice one. :azn:

All you need to do now is say "Chi fan" before you eat.

Using a knife and fork is quite intuitive I think, it's something that can be picked up easily. I eat Western food around once or twice a month, so I get plenty of practice. :)

Knife and fork is easy enough to use. I'm just a bit dismayed how they fill up the elbow space with at least 3 pairs of knives and forks at restaurants.
(edit: but of course, youre not supposed to put your elbow on the table, and you can't pick up your bow to drain the last few drops of soup.)

Apparently my mom told me I'm holding my chopstick wrong. You're supposed to open them with one finger and close them with another, but whatever works...

Eating with fingers is my favourite, especially the meal is served on banana leaf. Problem is have to wash hand before and after the meal. Fork and spoon is no problem for me, but can never get handling the chop sticks right. Always have them crossed instead of holding them parallel.

It is true, many of those stuff with a foreign brand are just more expensive in China although they are actually made in China. That is why those Chinese tourists buy them from Hongkong or other countries.

The reason I guess is that, in China, people especially those under age of 30 are generally very interested in those brands and so many of them can afford it, which makes the price go higher and higher. It is stupid in my opinion. It is like throwing your money into water. Anyway, our government likes to see us spending money.

By the way, the clerk at the Macy's is stupid too. If I was her boss, she would get fired.

It is simply a very heavy tariff for buying luxury goods in China.

It is simply a very heavy tariff for buying luxury goods in China.

Yeah, that is one important reason too. But since there are so many big fans of those foreign brands, although they know nothing about them, dealers are happy to raise the prices.

Back
Top Bottom