What's new

Developing China's Soft Power

ao333

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The United States stands for freedom and democracy. There is a large gap between the rhetoric and the reality, but the United States does export its political ideals abroad. And it does not just rely on force to do so. It relies on government-funded foundations like the National Endowment for Democracy that distribute grants to pro-democracy organizations abroad. U.S.-based NGOs like Freedom House rank countries according to their adherence to political freedoms, the implication being that other countries should conform to the ideals espoused in the U.S. Constitution.

What does China stand for? That question arose at a recent dialogue between Confucian and African thinkers in South Africa funded by the Confucius Institute. Such dialogues are relatively new: They are carried out on non-Western terms and funded by non-Western organizations. Now that China has more wealth, it can afford to fund dialogues that explore political alternatives to Western values.

But which values does China stand for and how can they be promoted abroad? Confucianism may be China’s main political tradition, but what are the key Confucian values that have the potential to make the world a better place? Like liberals and Christians, Confucians believe that their values ought to have universal reach, but China hasn’t done a good job exporting its political values beyond the East Asian region. As China becomes a global political power, such questions are likely to become more salient.

The Confucian tradition is diverse and contested, but Confucians today typically defend two key values: political meritocracy and harmony. The value of political meritocracy is not hard to explain. Everybody should have the same opportunity to be educated so as to participate in politics, but not everybody will emerge from this process with the equal ability to make morally informed decisions. Hence, an important task of the political system is to select those with above average ability.

The Chinese Communist Party, whatever the Marxist rhetoric, is becoming a more meritocratic organization. Top students are encouraged to join and the overall educational level of cadres is rapidly rising. To the extent that the party has successfully carried out economic modernization over the last three decades or so, much of the credit should go to cadres selected on merit — similar to other successful East Asian countries with a Confucian heritage.

So far, however, China’s attempt to export political meritocracy to developing countries has been relatively ad hoc. Hence, there is a need for a government funded organization — let’s call it the National Endowment for Meritocracy — that would fund experiments with political meritocracy in other countries. Western powers may not be interested, but there will be takers in Africa and elsewhere. Such programs could help to improve governance in recipient countries and would earn their gratitude.

The value of harmony is perhaps best promoted via NGOs, because official support is likely to arouse political suspicion. Hence, one might imagine an NGO — let’s call it Harmony House — that relies on rigorous empirical methods to determine the extent of harmony in the world. Countries could be ranked according to a “Social Harmony Index” that measures rates of crime, incarceration, divorce and gaps between rich and poor. Countries that do well on the index could set a model for other countries.

It is time for China to engage in the global dialogue about political values on its own terms. Rather than, say, wasting time and money on research reports measuring the extent of human rights violations in the United States, China can do more good by promoting the political values that inspire Chinese people and can help to make the world a better place if they are taken more seriously abroad.

This is not to deny that freedom, democracy and human rights have a place in China’s future. But indigenous values such as meritocracy and harmony may have an even greater place, and China should do its best to persuade the rest of the world of their value. Of course, it also needs to set the right model at home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/opinion/24iht-edbell.html?ref=china

The United States stands for freedom and democracy. There is a large gap between the rhetoric and the reality, but the United States does export its political ideals abroad. And it does not just rely on force to do so. It relies on government-funded foundations like the National Endowment for Democracy that distribute grants to pro-democracy organizations abroad. U.S.-based NGOs like Freedom House rank countries according to their adherence to political freedoms, the implication being that other countries should conform to the ideals espoused in the U.S. Constitution...........
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/opinion/24iht-edbell.html?ref=china

Can you tell me who wrote this? I can't go on the NY times link since I don't have an account.

Daniel A. Bell, Professor of Philosophy at Tsinghua University.

So what is your opinion on this article? Although I think that the CCP, right now, is definitely more Confucian than Marxist I don't see any evidence of China promoting meritocracy aboard unless you count the Kongzi Xue Yuan (cultural exchange programs).

Can you tell me who wrote this? I can't go on the NY times link since I don't have an account.

this one does not require login.
Registration is free. I don't know how anyone interested in good discussion can do without access to nytimes articles.

China stands for efficiency, hardwork, poor mans power, investment and trade, infrastructure development but at times a negative side of poor quality and corruption. Just my fair opinion!

So what is your opinion on this article? Although I think that the CCP, right now, is definitely more Confucian than Marxist I don't see any evidence of China promoting meritocracy aboard unless you count the Kongzi Xue Yuan (cultural exchange programs).

The article is well-written, but I don't think it's the time to be overly concerned Chinese soft power aboard. The more pressing question is, does China have soft power even within China?

When I began to the article, even without knowing who's the author, I immediately realize it must have been written by a non-Chinese because almost all defenders of Chinese traditions nowadays are foreigners.

The whole education system is China is basically teaching children why China was hell before the great national savior known as Communism came from the West. Of course few people now still believes in communism, so the lesson to Chinese children simply become China sucks the West rocks.

Newspapers in China often wonder why people are willing to pay more for Western brands. Guess what, that's what happens when your national education system is basically a free advertising machine for the West. Just take a look at names of top Chinese car companies and compare them with Japanese and Korean ones. Japan has Toyota, Honda and Nissan, all Japanese names. Korea has Hyundai, Ssangyong, Daewoo, again all Korean names. Then take a look at top 3 private Chinese carmakers: Chery, Geely and BYD, all Western sounding names. That's how much self-respect the Chinese has.

All talks of projecting Chinese soft power aboard is pure non-sense until Chinese learn to respect themselves.

The article is well-written, but I don't think it's the time to be overly concerned Chinese soft power aboard. The more pressing question is, does China have soft power even within China?

When I began to the article, even without knowing who's the author, I immediately realize it must have been written by a non-Chinese because almost all defenders of Chinese traditions nowadays are foreigners.

The whole education system is China is basically teaching children why China was hell before the great national savior known as Communism came from the West. Of course few people now still believes in communism, so the lesson to Chinese children simply become China sucks the West rocks.

Newspapers in China often wonder why people are willing to pay more for Western brands. Guess what, that's what happens when your national education system is basically a free advertising machine for the West. Just take a look at names of top Chinese car companies and compare them with Japanese and Korean ones. Japan has Toyota, Honda and Nissan, all Japanese names. Korea has Hyundai, Ssangyong, Daewoo, again all Korean names. Then take a look at top 3 private Chinese carmakers: Chery, Geely and BYD, all Western sounding names. That's how much self-respect the Chinese has.

All talks of projecting Chinese soft power aboard is pure non-sense until Chinese learn to respect themselves.

I concur :tup:.

Both Marxism and Democracy are ultimately western ideas. Even if China modernizes and achieves Super Power status she will not be a true super power until China could influence other countries culturally, much like American movies and video games have. Time for the Chinese people to stop blindly admiring anything Western and realize what great potential our ancestors' ideas has.

Newspapers in China often wonder why people are willing to pay more for Western brands. Guess what, that's what happens when your national education system is basically a free advertising machine for the West...All talks of projecting Chinese soft power aboard is pure non-sense until Chinese learn to respect themselves.
Last week I was at a Macy's - one of America's biggest department store chains - outside of Washington, D.C. It was during the workday so there were few customers, and most of these, it gradually dawned on me, were Chinese nationals, apparently part of a large tour group spread throughout the store.

What were these Chinese buying? Western brands of clothing and accessories, of course! Not wildly, but with great care. I was especially interested in the Chinese women who purchased handbags. The name-brand selection of handbags selection at Macy's is excellent, and in addition to Western-brand bags manufactured in China, there are bags made in Europe, Mexico, and South America. One group of women carefully examined a number of handbags for thirty minutes before rejecting half of them and finally purchasing (in cash) a number of very expensive handbags (over $120 each), all of which, I believe, are manufactured in China itself!

In Men's Accessories I noticed the same phenomenon: the Chinese rejected the American-made wallets as unsuitable and purchased wallets made in China (but with a Western brand name) instead. The clerk actually mentioned her surprise to her customers, why buy these products here when they could buy them at home, probably cheaper! The Chinese men paused for a moment, then continued to make their purchases as if the clerk hadn't said anything at all.

I'm not sure how we can export Confucianism beyond East Asia.

Confucianism to me is mostly about "family piety" (loyalty/values), a distinct chain of command in the family and in society, rites such as ancestor-worship, etc.

All East Asian nations (China/Japan/Korea) are "Confucian Nations" to an extent, however I don't think that is something that we can really export overseas, at least not beyond this region.

I like the idea behind "Confucius Institutes" though, as their purpose is to promote Chinese culture overseas.

Probably buying a product made in a certain country has nothing to do with their purchasing decisions, it is just the branding which counts and to a small extent the pride in showing off amongst their peers that they bought this item from the U.S. Thats just an asian characteristic I guess...

I have also had similar experience shopping for clothes here in the US. Some of my friends have pointed me out that why buy Made in India products from US. I tell them 2 things: First is that I bought the item because they fit my style and budget and secondly as I am doing so... I am in someway helping my country's economy!

Just to confuse them I must admit that sometimes I buy "Made in Pakistan" or "Made in Bangladesh" clothes. :cheesy:

Last week I was at a Macy's - one of America's biggest department store chains - outside of Washington, D.C. It was during the workday so there were few customers, and most of these, it gradually dawned on me, were Chinese nationals, apparently part of a large tour group spread throughout the store.

What were these Chinese buying? Western brands of clothing and accessories, of course! Not wildly, but with great care. I was especially interested in the Chinese women who purchased handbags. The name-brand selection of handbags selection at Macy's is excellent, and in addition to Western-brand bags manufactured in China, there are bags made in Europe, Mexico, and South America. One group of women carefully examined a number of handbags for thirty minutes before rejecting half of them and finally purchasing (in cash) a number of very expensive handbags (over $120 each), all of which, I believe, are manufactured in China itself!

In Men's Accessories I noticed the same phenomenon: the Chinese rejected the American-made wallets as unsuitable and purchased wallets made in China (but with a Western brand name) instead. The clerk actually mentioned her surprise to her customers, why buy these products here when they could buy them at home, probably cheaper! The Chinese men paused for a moment, then continued to make their purchases as if the clerk hadn't said anything at all.

Great observation, buddy!

I was told by those in China that made-in-China cloths, etc. are more expensive in China than in Western world.

Why is that?

I really have no clue.

I'm not sure how we can export Confucianism beyond East Asia.

Confucianism to me is mostly about "family piety" (loyalty/values), a distinct chain of command in the family and in society, rites such as ancestor-worship, etc.

All East Asian nations (China/Japan/Korea) are "Confucian Nations" to an extent, however I don't think that is something that we can really export overseas, at least not beyond this region.

I like the idea behind "Confucius Institutes" though, as their purpose is to promote Chinese culture overseas.

In fact, the reason why China was/is weak, poor and corrupted, is caused by Confucius theory, many scholars pointed it out.

I think people still having a wrong perception of whats meant by "expensive products" according to those Chinese tourist, a handbag cost $120 is consider cheap price for a second, third tier brand for them, they are the regulars in those LV, prada shops in HK, France, Italy etc, an average price range for a hand bag there will be over $500 at least. They are looking for "name brands" not where its made.
You will be surprise the purching power of those so-called Chinese tourist, buying luxury properties in HK with cash, big spenders in Jewlery shops like shopping toys for their kids.

I think people still having a wrong perception of whats meant by "expensive products" according to those Chinese tourist, a handbag cost $120 is consider cheap price for a second, third tier brand for them, they are the regulars in those LV, prada shops in HK, France, Italy etc, an average price range for a hand bag there will be over $500 at least. They are looking for "name brands" not where its made.
You will be surprise the purching power of those so-called Chinese tourist, buying luxury properties in HK with cash, big spenders in Jewlery shops like shopping toys for their kids.

Never liked the rich show offs much. Spending money on cool electronics is one thing but spending so much on clothes and jewellery? What's the use of that besides wearing them? Probably half the people can't tell that you are wearing some top brand clothing anyways.

Back
Top Bottom