What's new

Desi Bofors gun passes the test

Great work by OFB :)

Hats off to to the people who developed the gun

The article states the order value at Rs 6000 Crore
Considering the fact that towed artillery requirement of army is for 1560 Units

So my guess is that we are looking at a price of Around Rs 4 cr each

Another reporting error - the gun is 155mm/39-cal, not 155mm/45-cal.

Nice to see it has upto 10 km greater range than the original Bofors, showns Indian R&D is present in
developing it.
We already know how to upgrade the same thing done with M-46 with the help of Israel's Soltam
for more detail check the link
130 mm towed field gun M1954 (M-46) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Metamorphosis IOB M46 FG - Another 155 mm upgrade of the M-46, this one designed by Ordnance Factory Board (OFB). The upgraded M-46 has a range of 39 km

I got to know about this when I was in India. Army new all along that some of Arty requirements can be sourced from India, that is why they were not too much worried about Arty deals.

But that's not a reason to mess up so many deals in such a long time and today having a clear lack in the capability. It's not like Indian companies will develop and produce these howitzers and they will be ready for war tomorrow in sufficient numbers.

But that's not a reason to mess up so many deals in such a long time and today having a clear lack in the capability. It's not like Indian companies will develop and produce these howitzers and they will be ready for war tomorrow in sufficient numbers.
They did not mess up, but they were not worried.

...So the Tata Gun is out...??
Or do we still need the "propelled' guns...?

Another reporting error - the gun is 155mm/39-cal, not 155mm/45-cal.

Nice to see it has upto 10 km greater range than the original Bofors, showns Indian R&D is present in
developing it.

what happened to tata's??they have a greater range..any news of future acquisitions??

Nothing new i see them every single day sometimes even a little extra

what happened to tata's??they have a greater range..any news of future acquisitions??

...So the Tata Gun is out...??
Or do we still need the "propelled' guns...?

TATA's offering is in another category to this OFB Bofors and wills a different role. The TATA offereing is of a SPH/SPG based on a Denal design. The IA has 3-4, maybe 5 different requirements for arty right now (yes it is that much- the Bofors shadow wrecked such havoc on acquisitions!). So it is possible/likely the IA will get OFB and TATA/Denal arty species at the same time.

Btw TATA is only one of the contenders in an open tender right now whereas the IA has already signed an order for an intial amount of OFB Bofors.

OFB Howitzer:

155mmfh77b47jz2.jpg

TATA's Self propelled Howitzer:

tata-howitzer_350_120312062044.jpg

Can you see the differences? Can you see how these differences equate to different roles and how the two would be utilised in different manners?

as i'm naive, so can someone tell me how this muzzle velocity radar, fire control computer gonna increase the accuracy of an artillery shell fired?

as i'm naive, so can someone tell me how this muzzle velocity radar, fire control computer gonna increase the accuracy of an artillery shell fired?

They provide the target co-ordinates and computers makes adjustment to exact position for the barrel to provide the most accurate firing... increasing accuracy... and firing rate.. reducing human labor, errors and time of response.

Back
Top Bottom