What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

It seems like it's been done! The CCS headed by PM Modi has approved the purchase of 26 Rafale M fighters for the IN. Deal signing is apparently going to be done soon, which is likely during French President Macron's visit to India, which is slated to happen soon.

No. Nothing has been approved by CCS as of yet.

There was one The New Indian Express article and some sources are misquoting that.

It seems like it's been done! The CCS headed by PM Modi has approved the purchase of 26 Rafale M fighters for the IN. Deal signing is apparently going to be done soon, which is likely during French President Macron's visit to India, which is slated to happen soon.

I told you guys that the Rafale M was the best choice for the IAF for several reasons. Much better than even the veritable F/A-18 Super Hornet since it would complement the existing fleet of Rafales very nicely, not to mention having the RBE2 AESA compared to the PESA Zhuk-ME in the MiG-29KS.

I told you guys that the Rafale M was the best choice for the IAF for several reasons. Much better than even the veritable F/A-18 Super Hornet since it would complement the existing fleet of Rafales very nicely, not to mention having the RBE2 AESA compared to the PESA Zhuk-ME in the MiG-29KS.

It is now finally moving ahead. There is a high probability that PM Modi will announce the deal during his visit to France in the next couple of days.

IAF Rafales are participating in the flypast for the Bastille Day parade

F0z9eSnagAAg2Ri

F0z33h_XoAAx_pt

F0z33h_XgAAUNbq

F0z33h1XsAAZYv8

It is now finally moving ahead. There is a high probability that PM Modi will announce the deal during his visit to France in the next couple of days.

IAF Rafales are participating in the flypast for the Bastille Day parade

F0z9eSnagAAg2Ri

F0z33h_XoAAx_pt

F0z33h_XgAAUNbq

F0z33h1XsAAZYv8

Outstanding. Such beautiful aircraft and their versatility between the 2-seaters and single seaters and their omni role capabilities as well as their weapons loads, advanced AESA and SPECTRA lol my goodness, so much packed in a lethal platform. I hope the EAF also gets its second order finalized for another 30 aircraft on top of the existing 24.

Outstanding. Such beautiful aircraft and their versatility between the 2-seaters and single seaters and their omni role capabilities as well as their weapons loads, advanced AESA and SPECTRA lol my goodness, so much packed in a lethal platform. I hope the EAF also gets its second order finalized for another 30 aircraft on top of the existing 24.

Yes, they're in my opinion the best fighters in the world today. Also amongst the most beautiful (although my favorite will always remain the Mirage-2000)

The combination of range, payload, weapons it carries, the RBE 2 AESA's capabilities, OSF, SPECTRA, the extremely ergonomic cockpit, excess thrust available to the pilot and Dassault's best in class FBW mean that the Rafale truly is the most versatile and capable fighter.

This infographic is from Janes and as one can see, the payload and range figures for the Rafale when viewed overall prove it's the most well rounded fighter.

bsp_58663-jdw-22293.jpeg

Looking at the figures above, the Super Hornet is great in terms of range and payload with it's 2 X F-414 engines. But it lacks the agility of the Rafale C thanks to the much higher empty weight it lugs around being a heavy naval fighter.

Which is why if ADA, HAL and DRDO get it right, the Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF) with 2 X F-414 engines will be a beast in terms of range and payload. And given the similarity in design to the Rafale and how it will get a FBW derived from the excellent one developed for the Tejas, it should be (if everything works out) a fabulous fighter.

Last edited:
INS Vikrant has two elevators with a width of 10 meter width and a length of 14 meters. The wingspan of the Rafale M is 10.90 meters which is 0.90 meters more than the width of the elevators.

So will the Rafale M get folding wings or will there be an OOPS moment?
I remember reading about removable wingtips, but it would take a long time (15 minutes) to reattach the wingtips limiting operations.

INS Vikrant has two elevators with a width of 10 meter width and a length of 14 meters. The wingspan of the Rafale M is 10.90 meters which is 0.90 meters more than the width of the elevators.

I remember reading about removable wingtips, but it would take a long time (15 minutes) to reattach the wingtips limiting operations.

They will either have to send Vikrant back to docks for "modifications" or they will need to build a new A/C just for Rafales ?!

It all depends upon whether prestige takes over pragmatism. What could have been considered early on when Vikrant was being fitted was left to a competition and the result is that the aircraft the IN both wanted and could have had can’t be worked onto its platforms anytime soon.

Indians Navy plans to operate their Rafale-Ms from their land bases and not from their Aircraft Carriers.

Interesting my post disappeared. Never mend it showed up lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom