What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

10km range should be sufficient if it could detect stealthy missiles and destroy them in the 5-10km range.
10km range is against boats. Against fast moving missiles you're probably looking of effective range of under 3km

China always understated the new aircraft carrier tonnage. Despite state claim Fujian aircraft carrier is 80,000tons. It never claim its full or empty tonnage. When 075LHD leave drydock, state news paper claim its 20,000tons but end up we know its 50,000tons when its fully commission as state newspaper re adjust its tonnage.

Those slayer who take state news claiming as 80,000tons as some bible. are going to be disappointed. Very likely Fujian aircraft carrier is near 100,000 tons if fully loaded which is very close to Gerald Ford aircraft carrier.

Can i just say that Fujian is an amazing and historic chinese achievement, no other country actually matched the US carriers since WW2. What they need now is numbers, they need to churn these out like hotcakes (as far as supercarriers are concerned of course) in steadily improved models, maybe CVNs next!

CHINESE HAVE TAKEN THE BIG LEAP IN NAVAL POWER PROJECTION - YET THE JOURNEY HAS JUST BEGUN WITH CHALLENGES AHEAD

China’s launch of a new aircraft carrier, its third and the second built entirely at home, speaks to Beijing’s ambitions to become a military power of global standing and reach.

1657111067220.png

And it suggests that China is prepared to compete with the United States on what has long been Washington’s strongest territory. U.S. military dominance, particularly in Asia, is built on maritime power, which in turn is built around its carrier fleet. Now China is offering a direct challenge: Anything you can do, we can do bigger and better.

Except, not quite.

1657077679151.png

It’s true that the new Type 003 carrier, now formally named Fujian, is a big improvement on China’s first two carriers.

1657111155975.png

Both of those were smaller, which means they carry fewer aircraft. And they featured what’s known as a “ski jump,” a ramp at the bow of the ship that helps jets take off from the carrier’s short runway.

1657077719575.png

The ski jump imposes big constraints on the size, weight, and payload of the aircraft being launched,

which is why the United States has always preferred steam-driven catapults to hurl aircraft off the ship at high speed.

The Type 003 will use catapults, too, and they will be a more advanced electromagnetic design rather than steam-powered. This catches China up to the very latest U.S. technology, so far seen only on the new USS Gerald Ford.

1657077882411.png

1657079879576.png

But unlike the Ford and every other serving American carrier, Fujian is not nuclear-powered, which will make it more dependent on support ships to achieve long range and endurance. And then there is the issue of scale. This is China’s first supercarrier, now launched but certainly not finished and still several years from entering service.

The United States has 11 "Super-Carriers" , each one more powerful than China’s first effort. In addition China will have to match the Air Wing of US Carriers namely Lightning II JSF VLO 5.0th Gen F-35s , Super Rhino's and AEW&C Naval Fleet.

1657077751486.png

1657077779760.png

1657180547165.png

That role would be entrusted to Stealth J-35 Naval Carrier Jet , J-15 B / T versions, UAVs and KJ-600 AEW&C.Plus the Combat training exposure with support structure of forming a Battle Carrier Strike Group with LHDs and Frigates such as Type 055 & 52D is in process.
---------------------------------------

For the United States, aircraft carriers have been useful in the post-Cold War era against countries that were largely defenseless when it comes to naval warfare—Iraq, Libya, and Yugoslavia, for instance. In fact, the U.S. Navy has tacitly acknowledged this point by gradually decreasing the range of the combat aircraft it fields aboard its carriers. Why bother with long range if you can safely sail the carrier itself close to enemy shores?

China has demonstrated by effectively taking control of the South China Sea, building artificial islands there and equipping them with military facilities. It happened without much resistance from the United States, which quite understandably calculated that its interests were not so threatened by China’s moves that it would be willing to risk a major war. That same nagging question—is America’s military leadership and alliance network in Asia really important enough to risk a confrontation with the biggest rival the United States has ever faced?—is slowly eroding the credibility of the U.S.-centered security architecture of the region.

1657077265253.png

Attachments

• 1657097660488.png
    1657097660488.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
According to this recent image - allegedly taken on 5/6. July at the fitting-out pier of the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai - work on the aircraft carrier's AESA arrays have begun ... at least one cover has been removed.

(Image via YYTOU)

1657103797588.png

Damn I absolutely missed the launch of this ship since I haven't logged in in quite a while. Finally it's launched. I would have bought a cake to celebrate it but oh well I already bought one some days ago so I'll count that as the celebration 🥳.

Damn I absolutely missed the launch of this ship since I haven't logged in in quite a while. Finally it's launched. I would have bought a cake to celebrate it but oh well I already bought one some days ago so I'll count that as the celebration 🥳.
Still got time to celebrate another rounds when it goes for sea trial and make it first electric catapult of aircraft off the deck.

Back
Top Bottom