What's new

How Will China Fare With Covid? ‘Meaningless’ Data Clouds the Picture.

So the problem is the poor vaccination rate.
Well the rate isn't too bad overall, but the problem is the government stopped pushing for booster shots. They decided "Flexible Zero" was the way to go, which pissed people off by locking them in. If you haven't received a booster in the past 6 months, any vaccine protection is likely gone. On top of that, SinoVac and SinoPharm vaccines are less effective against Omicron than Pfizer and Moderna. China's elderly are also very resistant to getting vaccinated, with a lot of them just being stubborn anti-vaxxers. They will pay the price this time.

Mask wearing is standard in China, so I think that will help a lot with all things considered.

The speed of which the government just opened things up was mind boggling. It went from lockdown to just giving up in a span of a week, without any gradual transition plan. They should have at least pushed for 3rd round of mass vaccination for at least a month before attempting to re-open cold turkey.

Judging from how many of my relatives got it, I suspect cases are in the millions per day. Luckily most of them have very light symptoms, but seniors in China have poor vaccination rate so death will definitely spike.

Yup, I'm suggesting it as well.

But does the protesters (the people, maybe) able to accept it???

Lol

I've always maintained that abandoning zero-covid will lead to >1mil deaths, but to put things into perspective, smoking causes 1mil deaths directly or indirectly every year in China too.

View attachment 906613

So why not ban smoking, which causes much less disruption economically and socially? Ban sugar and unhealthy foods as well? 生命至上 is such a noble slogan right?

The rest of world other than China is indeed on a campaign to ban cigarette on the pretext of health while -- legalizing cannabis and opoids.

Its all about monies and white man is loser. Chinese tobacco is now the strongest player in the world and white man is starting to shape narrative ban tobacco.

Yup, I'm suggesting it as well.

But does the protesters (the people, maybe) able to accept it???

Lol
I was one of those that opposed the Zero COVID policy, but the CPC treated it like an on/off button. Nowhere did majority of people wanted "YOLO" type of re-opening. I think most would have been satisfied with a transition timeline lasting a few months.

But no, instead we got this overnight flip-flop mess.

I was one of those that opposed the Zero COVID policy, but the CPC treated it like an on/off button. Nowhere did majority of people wanted "YOLO" type of re-opening. I think most would have been satisfied with a transition timeline lasting a few months.

But no, instead we got this overnight flip-flop mess.

Not many government and experts can think through the holistically in a short time given the volatile situation. The alpha is lethal and it require immediate shutdown. The alternatives will be 10 millions death.

The government comunicated the needs to shutdown.

It is now obvious that omicron is very much less lethal and most in China is vaccinated.

Now the official media need to convince the need to open up.

I've always maintained that abandoning zero-covid will lead to >1mil deaths, but to put things into perspective, smoking causes 1mil deaths directly or indirectly every year in China too.

View attachment 906613

So why not ban smoking, which causes much less disruption economically and socially? Ban sugar and unhealthy foods as well? 生命至上 is such a noble slogan right?
smoking and diets are personal choices. Covid is not.

Well, since CCP has relaxed Covid measures, then guess its time to move on and forget about ZERO covid policy which was one of his main slogans evebthough we all knew it was unsustainable and impossible to implement.
Anyway guess they are now joining the world in learning to live with the virus. Lol Thought they will keep it for a couple more years though. Seems the rare protests kind of made Xi panic abit. Well, anyway guess we back to normal. Covid isn't going anywhere , shes here to stay. So gotta live with it.

That's why it's better to refer to estimates for excess deaths instead.

Are you kidding me? Are you by any chance Singaporean Indian? If we don't open, it's evil, when we open with 90% + vaccination rate with 80% triple vax, we are going to collapse, wtf? So far half my office got it, even some 60+ expats shot with sinovac and sinopharm, mild fever and 3 days rest then back to work.

Of course, you did mention infected by covid yourself. We are in agreement 🤝
In China it's negative deg winter, and 90%+ double vax and 80% tripple vax. I don't see ppl gasping for air like in India. People were literally breathing out if welding gas cylinders. Lol

Well, since CCP has relaxed Covid measures, then guess its time to move on and forget about ZERO covid policy which was one of his main slogans evebthough we all knew it was unsustainable and impossible to implement.
Anyway guess they are now joining the world in learning to live with the virus. Lol Thought they will keep it for a couple more years though. Seems the rare protests kind of made Xi panic abit. Well, anyway guess we back to normal. Covid isn't going anywhere , shes here to stay. So gotta live with it.
Impossible? We implemented it succesfully for 2 years until you idiots let it mutate into omicron. 2 years of bliss until March 2022 which was literally 8 months ago, even then only less than 1% of China was under quarantine and the economy still grew at 3%.

Anyone with a differing view from PRCs is an Indian lmao.

When did I make these 2 claims?
Serious, the way you are talking sounds like an Indian. Fork tongue, there is an old joke in Singapore and Malaysia, see an Indian, see a snake, whack the Indian first.

Well you are implying as if reopening is dissatrous, so if we don't reopen, we get scorned, if we reopen, we collapse? Wtf? Mrna again? Told you my uncle in Sg got. Cancer a month after pfizer vaccine, that shit is dangerous, that's why until today China did not approve it despite having a candidate domestic vaccine, the same reason GMO food crops are banned in China.

Well you are implying as if reopening is dissatrous, so if we don't reopen, we get scorned, if we reopen, we collapse? Wtf?

Again, I've never said reopening leads to collapse. Stop putting words in other people's mouth.

I said that reopening will lead to excess deaths which is naturally to be expected, unless you really believe the 0 deaths currently being reported.

1671503639922.png

Mrna again? Told you my uncle in Sg got. Cancer a month after pfizer vaccine, that shit is dangerous, that's why until today China did not approve it despite having a candidate domestic vaccine, the same reason GMO food crops are banned in China.

Post-Hoc-Fallacy-1024x576.jpg

And how old is your uncle? Everyday people gets diagnosed with cancer, all due to vaccination? Billions of mRNA shots have been given out. Is there a significant rise in global cancer rates?

/

Bob Wachter of UCSF had a very good thread on Twitter about vaccine rollouts the other day, and one of the good points he made was this one. We're talking about treating very, very large populations, which means that you're going to see the usual run of mortality and morbidity that you see across large samples. Specifically, if you take 10 million people and just wave your hand back and forth over their upper arms, in the next two months you would expect to see about 4,000 heart attacks. About 4,000 strokes. Over 9,000 new diagnoses of cancer. And about 14,000 of that ten million will die, out of usual all-causes mortality. No one would notice. That's how many people die and get sick anyway.

But if you took those ten million people and gave them a new vaccine instead, there's a real danger that those heart attacks, cancer diagnoses, and deaths will be attributed to the vaccine. I mean, if you reach a large enough population, you are literally going to have cases where someone gets the vaccine and drops dead the next day (just as they would have if they *didn't* get the vaccine). It could prove difficult to convince that person's friends and relatives of that lack of connection, though. Post hoc ergo propter hoc is one of the most powerful fallacies of human logic, and we're not going to get rid of it any time soon.

Last edited:
The rest of world other than China is indeed on a campaign to ban cigarette on the pretext of health while -- legalizing cannabis and opoids.

Its all about monies and white man is loser. Chinese tobacco is now the strongest player in the world and white man is starting to shape narrative ban tobacco.

Banning tobacco isn't a recent thing. It actually started in the 1990's when the US sued big tobacco and basically put them out of business with $200B in fines.

Cigarette sales have plunged.

Percentage of Americans Who Smoke Near Record Low, Poll Finds​

The poll found that 16% of American adults reported smoking any cigarettes in the past week.

cigarettesales.png

To really put tobacco out of business some really draconian laws were passed in parts of the country...as in you basically can only smoke freely in your house.

Massachusetts

Tobacco excise taxes​

As of July 1, 2013, the excise tax imposed on cigarettes under M.G.L. 64C increased to $3.51 per pack. The cigar and smoking tobacco excise imposed by M.G.L. 64C increased from 30% to 40% of the wholesale price of the products, and smokeless tobacco products increased from 90% to 210% of the wholesale price.

Cigarettes are also required, under M.G.L. 64C, to be sold at a minimum price as determined by the Department of Revenue (DOR). DOR periodically updates the lowest price at which each cigarette brand may be sold.

Smoke-free Workplace Law​

The Massachusetts Smoke-free Workplace Law prohibits smoking in schools, restaurants and bars, taxis, private offices, and other places of work. This law (MGL chapter 270, section 22, "An Act to Improve the Public Health in the Commonwealth"went into effect on July 5, 2004 to protect employees and the public from secondhand smoke and amends the 1988 Massachusetts Clean Indoor Air Law.

Laws regarding tobacco sales to minors​

It is illegal to sell tobacco products to persons under the age of 18 in Massachusetts, including e-cigarettes. Some cities and towns may have stricter sales policies than the state law.

As a part of Massachusetts Consumer Protection Regulations, tobacco retailers are required to ask for identification of individuals who appear to be under the age of 27.

Smoking in tv shows was reduced in the mid 1990's.

Smoking in big budget Hollywood movies is rare.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom