What's new

Crotale

I was concerned about range,a wild guess.
Army AD looks good,it's composition looks good for Area Defence Ack Ack Guns,FM-90 and LY-80.
We now have strong need of Theatre Defence System like S400 or HQ 9.

Third world country like pak and other cannot Mimic top few with the capabilities only true capability with USA Russia and few other who bought from them

@tps77

We have discussed Crotale upgrade before, let me add some points here.

* Crotale's in Pakistani service (2000 and later 4000) reached the limit of OEM offered upgrades with the Crotale 5000. Crotale NG/Mk3 fire a totally different missile with a smaller airframe.

* Crotale uses CLOS guidance, which means the pulse doppler search radar and FCR are prone to jamming.
AESA radars with low level search/detection capability (like Leonardo Kronos Land) could help along with ECCM upgrades to the FCR.

* Pakistan Army inducted the FM-90 in 2015, and the Navy has been using FM-90N on F-22P frigates for several years, few Pakistani companies (DGMP, IICS, etc) could be contracted to modify the guidance unit of Crotale and with time its Chinese derivatives, just like Ukraine has added a new seeker to missiles fired by the S-125 Pechora.

* Since Pakistan has developed (or acquired) active seeker for the Harbah anti ship missile, using the same technology to upgrade Crotale/FM-90/FM-90N will not only provide experience but also give impetus to development of an indigenous surface to air missile.

Last edited:
Third world country like pak and other cannot Mimic top few with the capabilities only true capability with USA Russia and few other who bought from them
But We do can afford S 300.:eek::D
@tps77

We have discussed Crotale upgrade before, let me add some points here.

* Crotale's in Pakistani service (2000 and later 4000) reached the limit of OEM offered upgrades with the Crotale 5000. Crotale NG/Mk3 fire a totally different missile with a smaller airframe.

* Crotale uses CLOS guidance, which means the pulse doppler search radar and FCR are prone to jamming.
AESA radars with low level search/detection capability (like Leonardo Kronos Land) could help along with ECCM upgrades to the FCR.

* Pakistan Army inducted the FM-90 in 2015, and the Navy has been using FM-90N on F-22P frigates for sometime, few Pakistani companies (DGMP, IICS, etc) could be contracted to modify the guidance unit of Crotale and with time its Chinese derivatives, just like Ukraine has added a new seeker to missiles fired by the S-125 Pechora.

* Since Pakistan has developed (or acquired) active seeker for the Harbah anti ship missile, using the same technology to upgrade Crotale/FM-90/FM-90N will not only provide experience but also give impetus to development of an indigenous surface to air missile.
- Hi Dear, Yes NG and Mk3 is totally different system what I was trying to say was Sub systems of our current models can be replaced with there Subsystems
- Ur 2nd point is what I was trying to say, We can replace its radar / guidance system with for example the said system and other than that the Thales option is on table with all calculations.
- As Far I know some R&D was being done in north east of Pakistan specifically regarding the missile it self If I am not wrong for atleast last 5 years .
- I dont know If I have told u before that now we have round the clock manning of MCP. MCP is new setup for crotales I cant go into details.

Btw I was busy otherwise I would had made the thread on this much earlier.:D

If you obtain a long range sam(s300 hq9 etc.) complemented and protected with hq16 then India cannot plan a surprise attack against your airbases aiming for an instant air dominance in a potential conflict. There are already effective measures like upgraded Hq2 sams , modern Hq16,awacs etc but still India can be motivated-fooled even leading to its own destruction by a third party considering you as a potential nuclear threat that is necessary to be eliminated.

Till now at least 2 attacks happened against Indian bases and India directly accusing Pakistan without any proof bringing the situation to the brink of a military conflict.
At least these types of attempts would stop.

Short range systems are effective even some systems are capable of higher altitudes like Pantsyr that can be used against aircraft as well as low flying cruise missiles. Also it is much easier to copy and develop indigineous systems with a clos guidance with lightweight simpler missiles.

Midrange and long range sam projects are also necessary to be self reliant in this critical area. Upgraded versions of S200 can be copied easily like China and Iran did. It has considerable range like 250-300km but it has its downs as well especially compared to S300 series like multiple engagement, mobility etc. It can be used as a stopgap measure in abscence of s300 variants and as a self reliance measure.

If you obtain a long range sam(s300 hq9 etc.) complemented and protected with hq16 then India cannot plan a surprise attack against your airbases aiming for an instant air dominance in a potential conflict. There are already effective measures like upgraded Hq2 sams , modern Hq16,awacs etc but still India can be motivated-fooled even leading to its own destruction by a third party considering you as a potential nuclear threat that is necessary to be eliminated.

Till now at least 2 attacks happened against Indian bases and India directly accusing Pakistan without any proof bringing the situation to the brink of a military conflict.
At least these types of attempts would stop.

Short range systems are effective even some systems are capable of higher altitudes like Pantsyr that can be used against aircraft as well as low flying cruise missiles. Also it is much easier to copy and develop indigineous systems with a clos guidance with lightweight simpler missiles.

Midrange and long range sam projects are also necessary to be self reliant in this critical area. Upgraded versions of S200 can be copied easily like China and Iran did. It has considerable range like 250-300km but it has its downs as well especially compared to S300 series like multiple engagement, mobility etc. It can be used as a stopgap measure in abscence of s300 variants and as a self reliance measure.
S 300 / Pantsyr For Long Range
Crotales,Spada 2000, FM90 For Short to medium range
Mistaral , Anza Manpads covering every Battery of above stated missiles.
That should be the plan.

S 300 / Pantsyr For Long Range
Crotales,Spada 2000, FM90 For Short to medium range
Mistaral , Anza Manpads covering every Battery of above stated missiles.
That should be the plan.

Bhai isn't Pantsir a Short range Point Air Defense ? and where is HQ-16 ? ...
HQ-16 and S-300/400 or HQ-9 would be Long to Medium range , while for low flying targets like drones and CM , Crotales , FM-90, SPADA 2000 and Swiss AA Guns .:pakistan:

HQ-16 and S-300/400 or HQ-9 would be Long to Medium range , while for low flying targets like drones and CM , Crotales , FM-90, SPADA 2000 and Swiss AA Guns .:pakistan:
Thanks I missed ur fav ones:p:
Pantsir is LOMAD (medium to short range):D

Mistaral and Anza mk3 also here

Back
Top Bottom