What's new

Cost Of Buying & Operating Fighters

The ET and Rafale is really expensive, so is the F-15, twin engine perhaps?

I was thinking if any country, mainly USA is dealing make a electric fighter jet, that will be more efficient or cheaper to operate?

There's no real way to use electricity to propel an aircraft that does not use a propeller.

A jet engine is a true IC (Internal Combustion) engine with all the normal cycles that a piston engine has - intake, compression, ignition, exhaust - with the difference being the process is continuous, there's no reciprocation, and the power to weight ratios for gas turbines are phenomenally better than piston. The drawback is huge fuel consumption.

Think of a Rolls-Royce Merlin, one of the most advanced piston engines of WW2, and hugely complicated. It powered SPitfires, Mustangs, many successful WW2 aircraft:

rolls-royce-merlin1.217145311_std.jpg

The Merlin power/weight ratio: 0.96 hp/lb (1.58 kW/kg)

This could be easily replaced with a turboprop engine. The simple Allison Model 250 weighs 173 pounds, or 78 kilograms, and produces 420 kilowatts, or 5.38 kw/kg... over 3.4 X as powerful (weight basis) as the Merlin. They are awesome machines.

I wonder how the flying cost is calculated. I suspect that due to lower Mean Time Between engine overhauls, Chines a/c should have a higher falying hour cost but then maybe it is offset by lower spares cost.

I wonder how the flying cost is calculated. I suspect that due to lower Mean Time Between engine overhauls, Chines a/c should have a higher falying hour cost but then maybe it is offset by lower spares cost.

Very true in that the reliability and time between overhauls is a HUGE part of a cost. Early jet engines were good for 20 hours or less. Modern engines can easily run for 4,000 hours or more before needing major work. Compare this to even the very best piston engines which will fail long before 2,500 hours.

So if Jet engine "A" works reliably for 4,000 hours and costs 10 million $$, and Engine "B" costs 3 million $$ but is good for only 750 hours and breaks down all the time, engine "A" is probably a much better choice, despite the higher cost. To fully overhaul a jet engine might cost 35% to 65% of the original cost.

Chogy, if the engine overhaul cannot be done in your own country, then it is taken to the manufacturer. IS the cost of travelling and all else also included in it?

Chogy, if the engine overhaul cannot be done in your own country, then it is taken to the manufacturer. IS the cost of travelling and all else also included in it?

Sometimes it's part of the contract, like "10 F-100 engines, plus maintenance and parts, for 5,000 flight hours each." So the manufacturer shoulders the maintenance cost. Kind of like a new-car warranty. This sort of contract is becoming more popular, rather than simply recieving a cargo container full of engines + parts, and a repair manual.

Sometimes it's part of the contract, like "10 F-100 engines, plus maintenance and parts, for 5,000 flight hours each." So the manufacturer shoulders the maintenance cost. Kind of like a new-car warranty. This sort of contract is becoming more popular, rather than simply recieving a cargo container full of engines + parts, and a repair manual.

What is the average cost for a replacing the canopy ?, that is also responsibility of the manufacturer?

What is the average cost for a replacing the canopy ?, that is also responsibility of the manufacturer?

I don't know the exact cost, but I'd guess an F-16 canopy is easily $20,000 to $50,000. Parts for these airframes are just enormously expensive.

Again, how the cost of replacement parts is met can be written into the contract. Armies of Accountants and Lawyers argue over every line for weeks before a contract is signed.

That is BIG.

Is the software more expensive than the hardware?

The LCD as well?

janes-600-x-331.jpg

Gripen operational cost lowest of all western fighters: Jane
DoC.gif

On the basis of a 2005 US Air Force study of its F-16 fleet, IHS Jane’s thinks the CPFH is composed of approximately:

– 10-15% Consumable Supplies (small parts, wiring, basic electrical components)
– 20-25% Sortie Aviation Fuel
– 60-70% Depot Level Repair and Systems Maintenance
Janes4-550-x-291.jpg

Janes3-600-x-338.jpg

your comments -- based on what the airchief said 1/3 of 45000 euros would give jft's op cost -- which might be comparable to or even above grippen

Last edited by a moderator:
Su-30 MKI's have a operation cost of $12000-14000 for one flight hour.That cheaper than F-15's.

Back
Top Bottom