What's new

Featured Concepts: 'Littoral Mission Vessels'

Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Over the past few weeks, I've been a little fascinated by the concept of the 'littoral mission vessel' (LMV). The basic idea of these LMVs is to deliver key naval capabilities, but at lower cost than a full-fledged frigate or corvette. The term LMV isn't real per se, but I think it may become real if enough ships of this type materialize.

There is no hard or fast rule, but in general, I find that these designs have a displacement of 500 to 1,500 tons (i.e., corvette-sized). So, they're compact.

But they are multi-mission-capable: anti-ship/surface warfare, anti-sub warfare, and anti-air warfare. However, these LMVs may not include decks and hangars for helicopters (though in some cases, they might -- depends).

It'd be interesting if we could design something like the SIGMA 7310 or Dearsan C74 in Pakistan. If we apply the same commercial build standards of the OPV 1900, such ships might be low cost enough to procure in numbers to deliver ASW coverage and distribute land-attack/anti-ship capabilities in our littoral waters.

Concepts

Damen SIGMA Fast Attack 7310 (Netherlands)
Damen_Sigma_Corvette_7310.jpg

Displacement: 900 tons
Length: 74 m
Propulsion: CODAD
Range: 2,000 NM (at 15 knots)
Weapons: 1x 76 mm; 2x4 AShM; 2x3 ASW; 2x2 VLS(?)

Dearsan Corvette C74 (Turkey)
CorvetteC74_01.jpg

Displacement: 1,000 tons
Range: 2,000 NM
Weapons: 1x 76 mm; 2x4 AShM; ASW rockets(?); 2x8 VLS(?)

Real World

Baynunah Class Corvette (UAE/France)
baynunah-class.jpg

Displacement: 915 tons
Length: 71.3 m
Range: 2,400 NM (at 15 knots)
Weapons: 1x 76 mm; 2x4 AShM; 8-cell VLS(?); 4-cell VLS (8 ESSM)

Independence-Class (Singapore)
RSS_Fortitude_in_2018.jpg

Displacement: 1,200 tons
Length: 80 m
Range: 3,000 NM
Weapons: 1x 76 mm; 2x RWS; 12-cell MICA-VL

Last edited:
I think PN now has too many types of corvettes/frigates/FACs. Do the above represent capabilities that a mdified AZMAT or Yarmook cannot deliver? I think PN now needs a very big focus on Subs and MPA. Let the surface grow naturally with the types we have on order and order more. Also as terror related issues and smuggling piracy subside we will need to focus less on sub-conventional threat and more on Indian Navy

I think PN now has too many types of corvettes/frigates/FACs. Do the above represent capabilities that a mdified AZMAT or Yarmook cannot deliver? I think PN now needs a very big focus on Subs and MPA. Let the surface grow naturally with the types we have on order and order more. Also as terror related issues and smuggling piracy subside we will need to focus less on sub-conventional threat and more on Indian Navy
I think the approach would be to enlarge the FAC(M) Azmat enough so that it can carry lightweight torpedoes for ASW. In turn, we build a large enough fleet to spread our anti-shipping/land-attack capability (so that the loss of even a few ships doesn't degrade our offensive element), and provide ASW coverage.

Over the past few weeks, I've been a little fascinated by the concept of the 'littoral mission vessel' (LMV). The basic idea of these LMVs is to deliver key naval capabilities, but at lower cost than a full-fledged frigate or corvette. The term LMV isn't real per se, but I think it may become real if enough ships of this type materialize.

There is no hard or fast rule, but in general, I find that these designs have a displacement of 500 to 1,500 tons (i.e., corvette-sized). So, they're compact.

But they are multi-mission-capable: anti-ship/surface warfare, anti-sub warfare, and anti-air warfare. However, these LMVs may not include decks and hangars for helicopters (though in some cases, they might -- depends).

It'd be interesting if we could design something like the SIGMA 7310 or Dearsan C74 in Pakistan. If we apply the same commercial build standards of the OPV 1900, such ships might be low cost enough to procure in numbers to deliver ASW coverage and distribute land-attack/anti-ship capabilities in our littoral waters.

Concepts

CorvetteC74_01.jpg

Real World

baynunah-class.jpg

Weapons: 1x 76 mm; 2x4 AShM; 8-cell VLS(?)

Russia to some extent has been doing that. Specially its BURAN M Corvette the capability of it of carrying and firing 2000 long range Cruise Missiles in unprecedented. Soon small Corvettes with 8 Anti Ship Missiles and medium range Air Defence system and Anti Submarine system and VLS for Land Attack Cruise Missiles will come. Initially they would be expensive but overtime as technology progresses they will become a the design which most countries will adopt specially those who don't have Aircraft carriers or don't need them or for that matter don't even need much bigger Navy. In short small size and less manned ships with all kinds of firepower will be new normal for Navies around the globe.

I think the approach would be to enlarge the FAC(M) Azmat enough so that it can carry lightweight torpedoes for ASW. In turn, we build a large enough fleet to spread our anti-shipping/land-attack capability (so that the loss of even a few ships doesn't degrade our offensive element), and provide ASW coverage.

Enlarged Azmat I think is a brilliant idea. We know we can churn out as many as we want, and deck them out with a Turkish/Italian weapons/sensor solution should be a no brainer. Also have the range for Gulf/Arabian Sea anti-piracy patrols so can take some of the strain off the bigger ships. Pakistan can market this solution to small African/Asian Navies too.

Russia to some extent has been doing that. Specially its BURAN M Corvette the capability of it of carrying and firing 2000 long range Cruise Missiles in unprecedented. Soon small Corvettes with 8 Anti Ship Missiles and medium range Air Defence system and Anti Submarine system and VLS for Land Attack Cruise Missiles will come. Initially they would be expensive but overtime as technology progresses they will become a the design which most countries will adopt specially those who don't have Aircraft carriers or don't need them or for that matter don't even need much bigger Navy. In short small size and less manned ships with all kinds of firepower will be new normal for Navies around the globe.

Good point. I guess size and manning only become an issue when you need global reach, so players like US, UK, France etc will always need larger ships with food/fuel for longer journeys and enough crew for at least two shifts

Why bother Enlarging Azmat when you have Ada that you could 'dumb down' to reduce cost, alongside the fact that they are kinda designed for ASW off the bat. I think messing with Azmat class might be more effort than worth. Reducing the Ada's systems and whatnot to make it easier on the pocket could be the way to go. Sidenote, they would also probably be more flexible and easier to kit out in a wartime scenario to make up for attrition replacements or whatever. Slap a lower cost system for self defence on them, dumb down their EW and mission systems, have them be a solid ASW platform with enough self defence cap where you wont need to dedicate a vessel for defence

so something like the Taiwanese Tuo Chiang missile boat/corvette? it has both torpedoes and anti surface missiles, can be built on to cater for AD system.

Concepts

CorvetteC74_01.jpg

Real World

baynunah-class.jpg

Weapons: 1x 76 mm; 2x4 AShM; 8-cell VLS(?)

Although difficult for PN, but this IMO is the most powerful little beast at 800 ton and $50 Million for export

228001.jpg

Karakurt-class corvette

Enlarged Azmat I think is a brilliant idea. We know we can churn out as many as we want, and deck them out with a Turkish/Italian weapons/sensor solution should be a no brainer. Also have the range for Gulf/Arabian Sea anti-piracy patrols so can take some of the strain off the bigger ships. Pakistan can market this solution to small African/Asian Navies too.

Why bother Enlarging Azmat when you have Ada that you could 'dumb down' to reduce cost, alongside the fact that they are kinda designed for ASW off the bat. I think messing with Azmat class might be more effort than worth. Reducing the Ada's systems and whatnot to make it easier on the pocket could be the way to go. Sidenote, they would also probably be more flexible and easier to kit out in a wartime scenario to make up for attrition replacements or whatever. Slap a lower cost system for self defence on them, dumb down their EW and mission systems, have them be a solid ASW platform with enough self defence cap where you wont need to dedicate a vessel for defence
If I understand it correctly, there's still a fixed overhead cost to steel. So, the larger the ship, the more steel you're using. Yes, with the MILGEM-J we can lower the build (from naval to commercial), but the cost might still be on the higher side compared to a smaller ship, like an enlarged FAC(M). If anything, if we needed a corvette similar to the 056 (as @Rafi alluded to), then a cost-reduced MILGEM-J/ADA is the way to go.

However, with LMVs, the vision is a little different. I'd want to produce ships that cost less than even the 056, which means either enlarging the FAC(M)/Azmat, or looking at one of the concepts above. In fact, I think a bigger FAC(M) or Azmat would basically result in a C74/7310-like design.

The benefit of an LMV is that we'd manufacture these small ships for like $50-60 m each, but each one of them can offer the anti-ship/land-attack and anti-sub effect of a MILGEM-J. It would lack the range, endurance, ECM, etc, but it would stick nearer to our coasts, and work under an actual MILGEM-J (or 054A/P).

If you have 12 of these ships, you're presenting the IN with 12 possible land-attack threats, 12 possible anti-ship threats (be it via the subsonic Harbah or supersonic missile), and more ASW coverage. Coupled with our growing submarine force, LRMPAs, coastal AShM, JF-17s, etc, would the IN even want to fight over our SLOC/EEZ? At the minimum, we might be able to stabilize the naval front (i.e., achieve true deterrence).

This aside, if I wanted more frigates, I'd add more MILGEM-Js. If I wanted more OPVs (e.g., for policing our SLOC, coalition missions, etc), I'd build slimmed-down MILGEM-J/ADAs. No doubt on any of that.

Also, would a Buyan M be considered a multi role ship because it can carry LACM, and AShM as well as an air defense system very capable of defending itself and other ships?

Excellent write up. can we classify or modify yarmook class corvettes as LMVs?

Back
Top Bottom