What's new

Complete information & Analysis on DCNS offers Mistral to India

I guess India is looking for 3 such massive ships.
Also does anyone have an idea on what Helicopters are proposed to be placed on these platforms?
@Capt.Popeye @sancho @Abingdonboy @Gessler

The tender is for 4 x LPD's, which according to the original RFI needed to be able to operate helicopters up to 35000Kg weight, so even heavy class helicopters could be used, while it's more likely that the NMHR competition will be the prime choice, where contenders like the EC 725 or Sikorsky S92 might be offered, apart of the smaller Sea Hawks.

Mistral does not have much of a chance. Indian Navy requirement is for four (4) amphibious assault ships for an estimated USD 2.6 billion $.

The RFP to ABG, Larsen & Toubro (L&T), and Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering seeks a builder for 40,000-tonne landing platform docks (LPDs) for the Indian Navy (IN). Completion is requested by 2027.

This is huge.. I hope we can have similar ones for transport and helicopter carrier. Hopefully indigenous one.

Its primarily going to be a Transport and Helicopter carrier. It will be the biggest LPD in the world :D

The direct threat will be from Pakistani nuclear and chinese nuclear submarines in future. I am more concerned , how are we using our amphibians vessels against anti submarine warfare. IN should make sure that they do not get second strike capability as in assurance.

The direct threat will be from Pakistani nuclear and chinese nuclear submarines in future. I am more concerned , how are we using our amphibians vessels against anti submarine warfare. IN should make sure that they do not get second strike capability as in assurance.

Let us discount pakistan. They are no more a threat, except the occasional terrorist.

LPD's are supposed to carry ASW Helicopters and AEW Helicopters which are designed to detect under water and Over water threats. They are offensive platforms, Not defensive.

They are in fact Mini Carriers. INS Vikrat (new one) is only 40,000 Tons. We are looking to build 4 LPD's which are 40,000 Tons EACH. What does that tell you ?

will modified one able to carry f35b ?juan carlos can. Im pretty sure navy would have this in mind for future.

Let us discount pakistan. They are no more a threat, except the occasional terrorist.

LPD's are supposed to carry ASW Helicopters and AEW Helicopters which are designed to detect under water and Over water threats. They are offensive platforms, Not defensive.

They are in fact Mini Carriers. INS Vikrat (new one) is only 40,000 Tons. We are looking to build 4 LPD's which are 40,000 Tons EACH. What does that tell you ?

There is need to induct the Sikorsky’s S-92, any new details when are we getting them on these vessels.

The tender is for 4 x LPD's, which according to the original RFI needed to be able to operate helicopters up to 35000Kg weight, so even heavy class helicopters could be used, while it's more likely that the NMHR competition will be the prime choice, where contenders like the EC 725 or Sikorsky S92 might be offered, apart of the smaller Sea Hawks.
How does it compare with Juan Carlos and the Japanese Izumo ???
@Capt.Popeye @Nihonjin1051 your expert views please :)

The latter is neithr on offer, nor does it fit to the requirements, since it's far too large and doesn't have a deck for amphibious vehicles. The earlier is too long according to the RFI and if the Navy actually looks for LPD's, Navantia will offer the Galica class, instead of the costlier Juan Carlos class.

The latter is neithr on offer, nor does it fit to the requirements, since it's far too large and doesn't have a deck for amphibious vehicles. The earlier is too long according to the RFI and if the Navy actually looks for LPD's, Navantia will offer the Galica class, instead of the costlier Juan Carlos class.
Sir...I was asking you to compare the capabilities :angry:

@Capt.Popeye @Nihonjin1051 your expert views please :)

Well, well, I do have views but I will not pass them off as expert views.... :)
The Japanese ship is out of consideration. What India is looking for is essentially a LPD with Helo-carrying capability as a corollary.
Now, going by the reports originating out of Lima, IN is looking at a rather largish modification of the Mistral design which DCNS says it is capable of performing. Most notably with the Propulsion system. Looks like IN does not favor the Azipod design, which is grounded in some reasons.

All that said, DCNS has provided consultation to DND in the past while it already has a JV of sorts existing in India, so one could say that they have some inherent advantages; of course the dictum of "L1" will prevail unless GoI reviews that policy; something that has been under serious consideration lately.

Too technical for a layman. What about the Japanese amphibian ships? All the shipyards in India are packed with defence orders and so many purchases in pipeline... where is Indian Navy headed to?

Back
Top Bottom