What's new

Comparing India and Pakistan 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think you enjoy this and are intentionally missing the point. But lets carry on if this is the path you want to go..

First, lets look at what Dalrymple said in his final paragraph...

Sixty years after its birth, India faces a number of serious problems -not least the growing gap between rich and poor, the criminalisation of politics, and the flourishing Maoist and Naxalite groups that have recently proliferated in the east of the country. But Pakistan's problems are on a different scale; indeed, the country finds itself at a crossroads. As Jugnu Mohsin, the publisher of the Lahore-based Friday Times, put it recently, "After a period of relative quiet, for the first time in a decade, we are back to the old question: it is not just whether Pakistan, but will Pakistan survive?" On the country's 60th birthday, the answer is by no means clear

And this was in 2007, significantly before the $hit hit the fan in 2008 in Pakistan. As I said before, I dont buy into the whole arguement of failed state anyway, but there is no place in his article that this gentleman says that Pakistan is better off than India.. Actually quite opposite as highlighted above..

And this is the thrust of your thread anyway.. Not to debunk the notion of India - superpower and pakistan - failed state...

About misleading, its fairly visible on who is trying to do that.. But sorry to say, unsuccessfully...

Here is what Dalrymple says:

""On the ground, of course, the reality is different and first-time visitors to Pakistan are almost always surprised by the country's visible prosperity. There is far less poverty on show in Pakistan than in India, fewer beggars, and much less desperation. In many ways the infrastructure of Pakistan is much more advanced: there are better roads and airports, and more reliable electricity. Middle-class Pakistani houses are often bigger and better appointed than their equivalents in India.

Moreover, the Pakistani economy is undergoing a construction and consumer boom similar to India's, with growth rates of 7%, and what is currently the fastest-rising stock market in Asia. You can see the effects everywhere: in new shopping centers and restaurant complexes, in the hoardings for the latest laptops and iPods, in the cranes and building sites, in the endless stores selling mobile phones: in 2003 the country had fewer than three million cellphone users; today there are almost 50 million."

Watch this more recent Intelligence Squared video for more.

But it's clear that your only interest is to want to perpetrate the myth of the western and Indian media...which has no basis in reality. Nothing would convince you otherwise.

I can't change your wishful thinking, just debunk it with incontrovertible data I have provided about India as the home to the largest population of poor, hungry, illiterate people most of home defecate in the open in the 21st century.

It's laughable to even think about an ill-fed and illiterate superpower whose next generation is being condemned to brain damage.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6837585.ece

http://www.riazhaq.com/2009/09/is-india-nutritional-weakling.html

Last edited by a moderator:

""On the ground, of course, the reality is different and first-time visitors to Pakistan are almost always surprised by the country's visible prosperity. There is far less poverty on show in Pakistan than in India, fewer beggars, and much less desperation. In many ways the infrastructure of Pakistan is much more advanced: there are better roads and airports, and more reliable electricity. Middle-class Pakistani houses are often bigger and better appointed than their equivalents in India.

Moreover, the Pakistani economy is undergoing a construction and consumer boom similar to India's, with growth rates of 7%, and what is currently the fastest-rising stock market in Asia. You can see the effects everywhere: in new shopping centers and restaurant complexes, in the hoardings for the latest laptops and iPods, in the cranes and building sites, in the endless stores selling mobile phones: in 2003 the country had fewer than three million cellphone users; today there are almost 50 million."

YouTube- IQ2 Discussion "Pakistan: what next?" (8 of 12)

But it's clear that your only interest is to want to perpetrate the myth of the western and Indian media...which has no basis in reality. Nothing would convince you otherwise.

I can't change your wishful thinking, just debunk it with incontrovertible data I have provided about India as the home to the largest population of poor, hungry, illiterate people most of home defecate in the open in the 21st century.

It's laughable to even think about an ill-fed and illiterate superpower whose next generation is being condemned to brain damage.

India's damned generation: young go hungry despite economic boom - Times Online

Haq's Musings: Is India a Nutritional Weakling?

ya ya ya ya ya continue with your stupid rhetoric. It makes no difference, the ground reality is very different. I have already debunked your Dalrymple, he is speaking what you want to hear and not what is the truth. He has been told many times to stick to just writting books and not analyzing countries. I can show you the truth of Pakistan but i do not want to fall to your level. Keeping on living in your dream world and posting your idiotic musings. The truth is quite easy to see, but your brainwashed mind cannot see that.

Last edited:
Mr. Haq, most of what you say about India may be correct. Some of your data is contentious since other members have presented conflicting reports to what you state. But I'll grant that you are entitled to your sources and interpretation. This thread might have been well served had you spoken of India in absolute terms. But comparing it to Pakistan was not the brightest thing to have done. Forget the fact or statistics that have been presented. Most of the indices are at the micro-level and the difference between India and Pakistan are negligible, sometimes misleading due to sampling errors. You state something and someone debunks it. Does not change anything, does it? But the fact remains that the US considers Pakistan a security risk and subjects your travelers to special screening. Just how many companies (US or otherwise) want to invest in Pakistan? Is it not true that Pakistan's poor have more fear of terrorism that any other country in the subcontinent? Also tell me how sure you are of Pakistan's future. You can selectively "defeat" the Taliban in some areas. What do you plan to do about the rising fundamentalism in your country? How do you (or anyone for that matter) plan to counter the seeds sown by Zia-ul-Haq? Why is Pakistan associated with the (unfortunate) tag of the 'university of terrorism'? Social indices are not just limited to food, health sanitation and education. These are important ones, and India has a lot of ground to cover, but that is a function of time. In Pakistan's case, the future is a function of way many more parameters.

SMC, I agree that the failed state tag is misleading at times. But the reason why Pakistan was in the list in 2005 and 2006 was due to the puppet democracy in place. But the ugly head of fundamentalism and terrorism needs to be chopped off before other countries start looking at Pakistan favorably.

Overall, I agree Indians, especially the educated ones (such as the ones on this forum) prefer to look at the bright parts and are uncomfortable when the not-so-good things are pointed out. But in Pakistan's case, I see that you are so busy defending your tags, that you fail to concentrate on the strengths of your country.

and here Mr.Riaq Haq- this is what William Dalrymple really says about India in an interview about 2 years ago - now read it before you post the next idiotic musing -

Q1When you go back to England and Scotland you must be asked how India is faring, if India is stable and where India is headed.

I think the Indian democratic project is a remarkable success. If you look around your neighbours no one has managed to pull off what you guys have pulled off. And seeing the last election I just felt so proud of India for sending the BJP off and seeing such a fabulous result.

Q2You have been here 25 years. What still has the capacity to stun you?

Every day I am still surprised about this country. Every day.

Half an hour before you were here, the MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited, the fixed-line telephone utility in Mumbai and New Delhi) were here to connect the Internet and the whole question of how far you give baksheesh or not and the knowledge your Net is going to stop working tomorrow if you don't give Rs 500...

Q3How would you describe your bond with India?
I have lived here for 25 years. Like immigrants all over the world, I am both this side and that side. I will never become completely Indian.

I am very flattered that people think I am Indian enough for me to get the Crossword Prize, which is exclusively for Indians. The most pleasurable book prize -- a book prize I am most proud to have won as much for being included as for winning it.

But India is home. I live here ten months of the year and the kids are at school here (in the British School). I am in exactly the same situation as the many Indians who have lived 25 years in Britain. Are they British? Yes and no. They are insiders and they are also outsiders.

You can't, in one life, totally cross over. Mark Tully was born here and lived all his life here. Is he Indian? Up to a point.
(It is an) enjoyable state of muddle.

Vaihayasi P Daniel speaks to William Dalrymple: Rediff.com News

Mr. Haq, most of what you say about India may be correct. Some of your data is contentious since other members have presented conflicting reports to what you state. But I'll grant that you are entitled to your sources and interpretation. This thread might have been well served had you spoken of India in absolute terms. But comparing it to Pakistan was not the brightest thing to have done. Forget the fact or statistics that have been presented. Most of the indices are at the micro-level and the difference between India and Pakistan are negligible, sometimes misleading due to sampling errors. You state something and someone debunks it. Does not change anything, does it? But the fact remains that the US considers Pakistan a security risk and subjects your travelers to special screening. Just how many companies (US or otherwise) want to invest in Pakistan? Is it not true that Pakistan's poor have more fear of terrorism that any other country in the subcontinent? Also tell me how sure you are of Pakistan's future. You can selectively "defeat" the Taliban in some areas. What do you plan to do about the rising fundamentalism in your country? How do you (or anyone for that matter) plan to counter the seeds sown by Zia-ul-Haq? Why is Pakistan associated with the (unfortunate) tag of the 'university of terrorism'? Social indices are not just limited to food, health sanitation and education. These are important ones, and India has a lot of ground to cover, but that is a function of time. In Pakistan's case, the future is a function of way many more parameters.

SMC, I agree that the failed state tag is misleading at times. But the reason why Pakistan was in the list in 2005 and 2006 was due to the puppet democracy in place. But the ugly head of fundamentalism and terrorism needs to be chopped off before other countries start looking at Pakistan favorably.

Overall, I agree Indians, especially the educated ones (such as the ones on this forum) prefer to look at the bright parts and are uncomfortable when the not-so-good things are pointed out. But in Pakistan's case, I see that you are so busy defending your tags, that you fail to concentrate on the strengths of your country.

Any one who has basic familiarity with Maslow's hierarchy of needs knows that there is nothing more basic than food, clothing and shelter. ...followed by basic hygiene.

What is being obscured in all of this Indian protest and anger is the ugly truth of India's abject failure in meeting the very basic need of the vast majority of its people.

And the Indian well-fed urban middle class, like the people on this forum, couldn't care less for the vast majority of their fellow countryman. They are upset when reality of real India is shown in Slumdog Millionaire.

The Indians here are more interested in defending their false pride. And what makes them feel superior is by talking up India while looking down upon their neighbors such as Pakistan and Bangladesh, countries that Indian officials such as Syeda Hameed believe are doing better job of taking care of the basic necessities than India.

Haq's Musings: Food, Clothing and Shelter in India and Pakistan

Any one who has basic familiarity with Maslow's hierarchy of needs knows that there is nothing more basic than food, clothing and shelter. ...followed by basic hygiene.

What is being obscured in all of this Indian protest and anger is the ugly truth of India's abject failure in meeting the very basic need of the vast majority of its people.

And the Indian well-fed urban middle class, like the people on this forum, couldn't care less for the vast majority of their fellow countryman. They are upset when reality of real India is shown in Slumdog Millionaire.

The Indians here are more interested in defending their false pride. And what makes them feel superior is by talking up India while looking down upon their neighbors such as Pakistan and Bangladesh, countries that Indian officials such as Syeda Hameed believe are doing better job of taking care of the basic necessities than India.

For far too long, India has been considered a country of snake-charmers and mahouts. The western image of India was fed on a staple of poor sanitation, rotten infrastructure and a generally underprivileged population. I personally do not find articles (or movies like Slumdog) to be offensive simply because they cater to this fondly held stereotype of India. Indians of my generation who witnessed the economic revolution simply react because we want people to recognize the 'other' India - educated, progressive and developing. What you state about India adds little value in absoluteness. It is something we have always been told about our country. When you start comparing statistics relative to Pakistan, responses become even more emotive because the middle class Indians are much better off than those in Pakistan. And you only see the well-to-do Indians on online forums. So it is not as if we are not aware of our shortcomings. It is just that we want to talk about the good parts of India.

The point I was mentioning was that Indians always point to these positives when someone points to our negatives. But you choose to run down India when pointed to your own shortcomings.

Here's a story of typical Indian government response to any mention of endemic poverty and squalor in India:

Diplomatic officials are preparing to lodge a complaint with Ofcom, the media watchdog, about the content of McCloud's Channel 4 series, Slumming It.

In the two-part documentary, the Grand Designs host visited Mumbai's squalid Dharavi slum. It showed children living amongst open sewers, dead rats and toxic waste, and residents scavenging on the city's rubbish dump.

Sources say the Indian High Commission in London granted a filming permit in the belief that McCloud was making a programme highlighting Mumbai's architectural history, and officials were horrified to see the end result.

"We thought it would be about the architecture of Mumbai but it was only about slums, nothing else. He was showing dirty sewage and dead rats, children playing amongst rubbish and people living in these small rooms. He never talked about architecture at all.

"This was poverty **** made to get ratings, and we are upset," the source said.

"Many people know India but for people who don't travel, they will think all of India is like this. Of course it will affect our tourism. It is not representative at all.

"We are not saying, 'Don't show Dharavi', but the show was not balanced. There is so much more to Mumbai and so much more to India."

The original synopsis submitted by the programme-makers said: "Kevin McCloud's passions are buildings and people and he will explore the architecture of Mumbai... Maharashtrian, British, Gothic and post-modern."

The source said: "When the production company applied, they said the name of the documentary was going to be Grand Designs. They said it was part of a 'celebration of all things India' and that he would look at different kinds of architecture. He didn't do any of this.

"Only occasionally did he mention the community spirit and the low crime rate and the fact that rubbish is recycled there.

"People forget that this nation is 60 years old. We are a young nation and it's not easy to bring 300 million people out of poverty just like that."

Slumming It was part of Channel 4's ongoing Indian Winter season. Of the five programmes shown so far, four have been set in the Mumbai slums, including a 'Slumdog' version of The Secret Millionaire.

The source accused Channel 4 of "cashing in on the success of Slumdog Millionaire", the Oscar-winning film which kicked off the season.

McCloud has praised the community spirit in Dharavi, claiming that the British government could use it as a model for "social sustainability". The Prince of Wales has hailed Dharavi as a model for urban planning.

In a joint statement, Channel 4 and the production company, talkbackThames, said: "We have not received a complaint from the India High Commission. The programme explores if city planners and architects can learn from the way Asia’s biggest slum has evolved and developed high levels of sustainability. Kevin McCloud follows everyday life in Dharavi and the film is a balanced and insightful account of his experience there.

"While it raises issues such as acute levels of poverty and the lack of sanitation, the programme also highlights many positive aspects of life in Dharavi such as the real sense of community as well as low levels of crime and unemployment. We believe that the film raises some important points around the issues of poverty, sustainability and city planning and is clearly in the public interest.”

India accuses Kevin McCloud of making 'poverty ****' in Mumbai slum programme - Telegraph

YouTube- IQ2 Discussion "Pakistan: what next?" (8 of 12)

India's damned generation: young go hungry despite economic boom - Times Online

Haq's Musings: Is India a Nutritional Weakling?

You are asking me to defend a statement that I have never made.. And you are adament about it. Its obvious that you are desperate to wriggle out of getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar and are trying to divert attention by saying that you are debunking the statement that India is a superpower which anyway none of us is saying...

And you have again shown your tendency to quote from the middle of the article and leave everything before and after it, and hence destroy the context in the process. What I thought of oversight earlier is certainly intentional and selective editing by you..

The only anger you see is targeted at your unskillful doctoring of text of international journalists to score a point..

Here's a story of typical Indian government response to any mention of endemic poverty and squalor in India:

Diplomatic officials are preparing to lodge a complaint with Ofcom, the media watchdog, about the content of McCloud's Channel 4 series, Slumming It.

In the two-part documentary, the Grand Designs host visited Mumbai's squalid Dharavi slum. It showed children living amongst open sewers, dead rats and toxic waste, and residents scavenging on the city's rubbish dump.

Sources say the Indian High Commission in London granted a filming permit in the belief that McCloud was making a programme highlighting Mumbai's architectural history, and officials were horrified to see the end result.

"We thought it would be about the architecture of Mumbai but it was only about slums, nothing else. He was showing dirty sewage and dead rats, children playing amongst rubbish and people living in these small rooms. He never talked about architecture at all.

"This was poverty **** made to get ratings, and we are upset," the source said.

"Many people know India but for people who don't travel, they will think all of India is like this. Of course it will affect our tourism. It is not representative at all.

"We are not saying, 'Don't show Dharavi', but the show was not balanced. There is so much more to Mumbai and so much more to India."

The original synopsis submitted by the programme-makers said: "Kevin McCloud's passions are buildings and people and he will explore the architecture of Mumbai... Maharashtrian, British, Gothic and post-modern."

The source said: "When the production company applied, they said the name of the documentary was going to be Grand Designs. They said it was part of a 'celebration of all things India' and that he would look at different kinds of architecture. He didn't do any of this.

"Only occasionally did he mention the community spirit and the low crime rate and the fact that rubbish is recycled there.

"People forget that this nation is 60 years old. We are a young nation and it's not easy to bring 300 million people out of poverty just like that."

Slumming It was part of Channel 4's ongoing Indian Winter season. Of the five programmes shown so far, four have been set in the Mumbai slums, including a 'Slumdog' version of The Secret Millionaire.

The source accused Channel 4 of "cashing in on the success of Slumdog Millionaire", the Oscar-winning film which kicked off the season.

McCloud has praised the community spirit in Dharavi, claiming that the British government could use it as a model for "social sustainability". The Prince of Wales has hailed Dharavi as a model for urban planning.

In a joint statement, Channel 4 and the production company, talkbackThames, said: "We have not received a complaint from the India High Commission. The programme explores if city planners and architects can learn from the way Asia’s biggest slum has evolved and developed high levels of sustainability. Kevin McCloud follows everyday life in Dharavi and the film is a balanced and insightful account of his experience there.

"While it raises issues such as acute levels of poverty and the lack of sanitation, the programme also highlights many positive aspects of life in Dharavi such as the real sense of community as well as low levels of crime and unemployment. We believe that the film raises some important points around the issues of poverty, sustainability and city planning and is clearly in the public interest.”

India accuses Kevin McCloud of making 'poverty ****' in Mumbai slum programme - Telegraph

News Headlines
India Raising...

CNBC no 1 channel for investiment

nobody cares to even mention about pakistan unless topic is terrorism.

Last edited:

And this compares India and Pakistan how?? Hasnt Pakistan been similarly protesting about US predator strikes in its territory?? Will it be fair to say that those protests are typical of Pakistani government response to any mention deep rooted terrorism in Pakistan:

No.. It wont be.. But you are an expert in picking things out of context and generalizing them to prove a point...

And this compares India and Pakistan how?? Hasnt Pakistan been similarly protesting about US predator strikes in its territory?? Will it be fair to say that those protests are typical of Pakistani government response to any mention deep rooted terrorism in Pakistan:

No.. It wont be.. But you are an expert in picking things out of context and generalizing them to prove a point...

This comment just reinforces the fact that you'd do anything to distract attention from the abject poverty and extreme squalor of your nation.

It's shameful that the Brits are helping build toilets in Shining India's financial capital Mumbai while Indians here are beating their chests about being an "emerging superpower".

BBC News - Should the UK fund toilets in Mumbai slums?

Go feed your hungry and build your toilets before arguing about super power status. It'll do you and your country a lot of good.

This comment just reinforces the fact that you'd do anything to distract attention from the abject poverty and extreme squalor of your nation.

It's shameful that the Brits are helping build toilets in Shining India's financial capital Mumbai while Indians here are beating their chests about being an "emerging superpower".

Go feed your hungry and build your toilets before arguing about super power status. It'll do you and your country a lot of good.

So typical of you to again try and divert attention from your blatant doctoring of views of others to prove a point. You do that with your posts where you refer to western writers.. In the same breath you discount western media when it suites your purpose. And you are doing the same here argueing with me about India's super power status which I have never proclaimed. Really shows the intellectual Bankruptcy of your arguements and line of thinking..

Its like a thief who slips and falls while attempting a theft and then starts to blame the homeowner of unsafe environment in his house..:tdown:

Please Haq, you of all people, stop giving India the advice on how to become a Superpower.

My point is try to check the sustainability of your economic development without the west's back patting. The link are given in the sources and I can provide you more later.

By the way read Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, they will clear up some of the delusions we normally hold. And secondly compare figures with independent sources such as World Bank, IMF, CIA, ROBO Bank etc. all the data provided by state banks is molded pose a rosy picture. And the doctors and engineers you are talking about sends remittances, which for indian are US $30 billion....a very small share in the whole pie....don't you think.

^^^^^^^^^

Sorry guys was out of town for the weekend....Boy the discussion have reached 34 pages already ..hehehehe....

Anyways i was on 22 page or so when i was asked if India's growth is sustainable or not...Well to answer nothing in Financial world is guranteed....Can anybody would have guessed the wall street collapse plunging the hwole world into recession the way it did??? These are all predictions based on some detailed analysis on current economic situation and conditions that are favourable and agasint the growth....and if we go by experts recommendations India is worth a place to invest for couple of decades before it emrges as a super power(in economic terms...)

Though the thread is for comparison between India and Pakistan so the ideal reply would be facts and figures comapring how sustainable is India's growth vs Pakistan Growth...but i choose to stick to india for obvious reasons...

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INDIAEXTN/Resources/295583-1176163782791/complete.pdf
The Hindu Business Line : Goldman Sachs predicts 8% sustainable growth for India till 2020
The Hindu Business Line : India's growth sustainable, says expert
Indian Economy Experiences a Sustainable Growth Rate
business.outlookindia.com | ?The growth in India is sustainable for many years?

This one is really interesting...Look at the speakers involved

- LAEL BRAINARD, Vice President and Director
Global Economy and Development, The Brookings Institution
- CHARLES F. KRAMER, Division Chief
Asia and Pacific Department, International Monetary Fund
-SHANTAYANAN DEVARAJAN, Chief Economist,
Human Development Network, South Asia Region;
Editor, World Bank Research Observer, World Bank
-NIRVIKAR SINGH, Professor of Economics;
Director of the Business Management Economics Program;
Co-Director, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies,
University of California at Santa Cruz

http://www.brookings.edu/comm/events/20070308.pdf

Trolling apart those who relly want to have a peak into good and bad things in India economic model please do read this....However conclusion is yes the growth is sustainaible for atleast couple of decades...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom