What's new

China's sixth-generation fighter aircraft

Air inlet on the top surface of the fighter?
Does not go well with my line of (aerodynamics) thinking.

https://tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com/tag/sixth-generation-fighter-jet/

j-28.jpg

This has been around on the internet for many years. Is this fake?

You pretty much lose high AOA capabilities by placing the intakes on top.

The model looks rather interesting tho. I don't think fanboys could have faked such a detailed model.

Honestly, what on earth is detailed on this model?? IMO it's exactly the opposite: No true aerospace engineer and designer would design such a crappy model and call it 6th generation fighter.

It might indeed look "fancy" or future-like for kids but it contradicts all features a fighter should have to be a highly manoeuvrable and stealthy design.

If you look for some interesting future fighter designs you might look here (but I think you have to sign in) ... but also all are pure what-ifs just for the fun:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27301.30.html
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26622.msg272730.html#msg272730
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26462.0.html

Best,
Deino

Abilities and characteristics of next generation fighter jet :coffee::o::woot::D:azn:

115209x10l06m15wz9qmpc.jpg
Translation:
1. Superior flight capabilities. Above mach 5 capability and rapid strike. Super manoeuvrability and non conventional manoeuvres. Non air refueling combat radius of 2000km.

2. Stealth/low observability against radar, radio frequency, infrared, visible light, "full frequency spectrum stealth" capabilities.

3. Advanced sensor system, real time datalink network, advanced sensor information fusion.

4. Advanced weapons. Equipped with direct energy weapons, high speed, super long range strike missiles and ballistic missile defence capabilities.

5. Hyper-collaboration. Joint operation system, dynamic reconfiguration and combined with various types of combat forces, achieve seemless and coordinated operations.

Interesting, but IMO it fits better in this section.

Translation:
1. Superior flight capabilities. Above mach 5 capability and rapid strike. Super manoeuvrability and non conventional manoeuvres. Non air refueling combat radius of 2000km.

2. Stealth/low observability against radar, radio frequency, infrared, visible light, "full frequency spectrum stealth" capabilities.

3. Advanced sensor system, real time datalink network, advanced sensor information fusion.

4. Advanced weapons. Equipped with direct energy weapons, high speed, super long range strike missiles and ballistic missile defence capabilities.

5. Hyper-collaboration. Joint operation system, dynamic reconfiguration and combined with various types of combat forces, achieve seemless and coordinated operations.

What is the source of this? IMO it looks more like a fanboy's wishlist, and quite a vague one at that. e.g. "Advanced sensor information fusion"? How much more fusion is possible after you combine data from all onboard and offboard sources into a unified view? Does that mean the J-20 doesn't fuse sensor data? Such capabilities are software based and can be added even to a 4.5th gen fighter like J-10C, dont need a 6th gen fighter for that.

Other things are simply not anywhere close to being ready in the foreseaable future: Mach 5 capability? yeah, sure, i'll take that seriously--when some a new aircraft engine technology other than turbofans is operationally proven. Visible light cloaking skin that is also RF absorbing? Sure, and harry potter's wand as well.

But to add to the topic of what a next gen fighter beyond the J-20 can bring, here is my list of likelies, based on where technology is headed IMO:
  1. Variable Bypass Engines, allowing efficient flight throughout the aircraft's flight envelope and a major increase in range and endurance. This will allow the fighter to cover the second island chain and beyond from bases deep within China
  2. DEWs, capable of knocking out incoming missiles as well as hostile sensors, which will also require high electrical power output from the engines. This could be supplanted by hit-to-kill AAMs that when fired in self defence are capable of knocking out incoming SAMs/AAMs
  3. Broadband RF Stealth (like B21/RQ-180) & more particularly IR Stealth, allowing the fighter to avoid detection by long wave radars and increasingly sensitive IR sensors. This will require advanced stealth shaping, and newer (metamaterial/nanomaterial based) coatings, and for IR stealth revolutionary heat exchangers/active cooling systems and new engines.
  4. Advanced materials and advanced (additive) manufacturing techniques that increase airframe strength and allow revolutionary weight savings at the same time.
  5. Computer/AI assisted combat: Automatic WVR maneuvring, AI assisted BVR/counter BVR maneuvres and SAM/AAM evasion maneuvres
  6. (stretching the imagination a little) Quantum Radar technologies, Gigapixel IR sensors and quantum datalinks possibly.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting news ... even if I don't expect it to be a real true (manned) prototype, a sub-scale demonstrator is indeed a possibility especially since flight testing of 4 out of 8 possible planforms was mentioned on an NPU placard in 2019. Therefore it is indeed highly likely to be related to China's 6th generation fighter developments.

1635668859267.png

1635668817802.png

That CGI looks really nice. But I think it is more likely to be a drone than a test for a manned vehicle.

As much as I wish these fancy ideas could be true, there is no chance to be true ... Regardless how fancy this CG or artwork is, the one at CAC is never a J-20 based design simply since that strange thing has at best only one engine and with 12m span and 14m length it is much too small for anything J-20-related.

Known since October 2021 on satellite images, this is suggested to be a (full) ? scale mockup or even a 6. generation technology demonstrator built by 611 Institute/CAC featuring a tailless diamond wing configuration. And today this ... Just a CG or indeed the rumoured testbed?
(Image via @沉默的山羊 from Weibo)

326159490_578306503748187_1515341003101519780_n.jpg

326008326_980091006207632_2111517645796988710_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom