What's new

China 'should sprint to become the world's most powerful country'

Communist

Reaction score
China 'should sprint to become the world's most powerful country'

China should build the world's strongest military and move swiftly to topple the United States as the global "champion", according to a senior Chinese army officer.

Published: 7:24AM GMT 01 Mar 2010

695e5ec454b88332560b9479aea300eb.jpg

Recruits of the paramilitary police adjust their uniforms during a training session at a military base in Taiyuan, China Photo: REUTERS

The call for China to abandon modesty about its global goals and "sprint to become world number one" comes from a People's Liberation Army (PLA) Senior Colonel, Liu Mingfu.

He also gives warning that his nation's ascent will alarm Washington, risking war, despite Beijing's hopes for a "peaceful rise".

"China's big goal in the 21st century is to become world number one, the top power," Liu writes in his newly published Chinese-language book, "The China Dream".

"If China in the 21st century cannot become world number one, cannot become the top power, then inevitably it will become a straggler that is cast aside," writes Liu, a professor at the elite National Defence University, which trains rising officers.

His 303-page book stands out for its boldness even in a recent chorus of strident Chinese voices demanding a hard shove back against Washington over trade, Tibet, human rights, and arms sales to Taiwan........

"As long as China seeks to rise to become world number one ... then even if China is even more capitalist than the U.S., the US will still be determined to contain it," writes Liu.

Rivalry between the two powers is a "competition to be the leading country, a conflict over who rises and falls to dominate the world," says Liu. "To save itself, to save the world, China must prepare to become the (world's) helmsman."

"The China Dream" does not represent government policy, which has been far less strident about the nation's goals.

Liu's book testifies to the homegrown pressures on China's Communist Party leadership to show the country's fast economic growth is translating into greater sway against the West, still mired in an economic slowdown.

The next marker of how China's leaders are handling these swelling expectations may come later this week, when the government is likely to announce its defence budget for 2010, after a 14.9 per cent rise last year on the one in 2008.

"This book represents my personal views, but I think it also reflects a tide of thought," Liu told Reuters in an interview. "We need a military rise as well as an economic rise."

Another PLA officer has said this year's defence budget should send a defiant signal to Washington after the Obama administration went ahead in January with long-known plans to sell $6.4 billion worth of arms to Taiwan.

"I think one part of 'public opinion' that the leadership pays attention to is elite opinion, and that includes the PLA," said Alan Romberg, an expert on China and Taiwan at the Henry L. Stimson Center, an institute in Washington DC.

"I think the authorities are seeking to keep control of the reaction, even as they need to take (it) into account," Mr Romberg said in an emailed response to questions.

Liu argues that China should use its growing revenues to become the world's biggest military power, so strong the United States "would not dare and would not be able to intervene in military conflict in the Taiwan Strait".

"If China's goal for military strength is not to pass the United States and Russia, then China is locking itself into being a third-rate military power," he writes. "Turn some money bags into bullet holders."

China's leaders do not want to jeopardise ties with the United States, a key trade partner and still by far the world's biggest economy and military power.

Yet Chinese public ire, echoed on the Internet, means policy-makers have to tread more carefully when handling rival domestic and foreign demands, said Jin Canrong, a professor of international relations at Renmin University in Beijing.

"Chinese society is changing, and you see that in all the domestic views now on what China should do about the United States," said Jin. "If society demands a stronger stance, ignoring that can bring a certain cost."

Liu's book was officially published in January, but is only now being sold in Beijing bookstores.

In recent months, strains have widened between Beijing and Washington over trade, Internet controls, climate change, U.S. arms sales to Taiwan and President Barack Obama's meeting with Tibet's exiled leader, the Dalai Lama, who China reviles.

China has so far responded with angry words and a threat to sanction U.S. companies involved in the Taiwan arms sales. But it has not acted on that threat and has allowed a U.S. aircraft carrier to visit Hong Kong.

Over the weekend, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said he wanted trade friction with the United States to ease. U.S. Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg is due to visit Beijing this week.

Liu and other PLA officers, however, say they see little chance of avoiding deepening rivalry with the United States, whether peaceful or warlike.

"I'm very pessimistic about the future," writes another PLA officer, Colonel Dai Xu, in another recently published book that claims China is largely surrounded by hostile or wary countries beholden to the United States.

"I believe that China cannot escape the calamity of war, and this calamity may come in the not-too-distant future, at most in 10 to 20 years," writes Dai.

"If the United States can light a fire in China's backyard, we can also light a fire in their backyard," warns Dai.

Liu said he hoped China and the United States could manage their rivalry through peaceful competition.

"In his State of the Union speech, Obama said the United States would never accept coming second-place, but if he reads my book he'll know China does not want to always be a runner-up," said Liu in the interview.

China 'should sprint to become the world's most powerful country' - Telegraph

At last, at last, I have found someone who is voicing my concerns. China has to become the top military power. China has no other options left. Personally, I have always hoped for a Peaceful Rise, but knowing the US attitude (the nation that tells us that second is the first loser) and Obama saying the US will never surrender being top dog, will China be presented with any choice?

China has already been surrounded by US missile system. China has been pushed to the wall. Now China must start her struggle for existence. Otherwise, India, a US proxy will swallow up the entire Chinese nation in a merciless way.

China must become a top military power and China must do it now, NOW or NEVER.

I urge the Chinese worldwide, please try to understand Geo-politics and realize how China has been pushed to the wall. Obviously, you don't wanna see your mother get molested, abused, slaughtered by enemies. Therefore protect your mother, do whatever you can do to contribute to your motherland to the possible extent, no matter wherever you are, save your money and donate money to China's ongoing defense projects, pay more revenues voluntarily, you are just helping your poor mother who gave birth to you and today you exist because of your mother China. Stop wasting money on unproductive recreations, rather save the money and pay more taxes voluntarily. More and more weapons are needed to defend the motherland. More J10s, more subs, more ICBMs. China will have to fight a multi-front war, because US will attack from all fronts. I know your amount of money is nothing compared to the costs of manufacturing expensive weapons, but by accumulating every single drop of water, we can have a water reservoir.

Contain China! contain China! contain China! .... I just got pissed off hearing the same mantra by US again and again! Bloody Pentagon... you just poisoned the Chinese mind and now you have to swallow the poison.

You have to reap what you sow... don't you know, Mr US?

You have been doing to contain China, now China should start doing something to contain US... Thats what China must do to survive.

And my message to CPC as well,

Don't ignore the people's sentiment, you are there because of the people and you must listen to the people's demand. Obviously, you don't want to get overthrown by the people and then kicked out to another island, so better walk along with the people. If you still continue ignoring people's voice, PLA might revolt and take over all your positions. Its very clear that PLA is getting annoyed by your cowardly acts. So please listen to the people.

China could build up nuclear capability to counter U.S. missile shield

China could strengthen its nuclear capability in response to U.S. global missile defense plans, a Russian military expert said on Wednesday.

"At present, China has a very limited nuclear potential, but my recent contacts with Chinese military representatives indicate that if the United States deploys a global missile defense system, in particular in the Far East, China will build up its offensive capability," said Lt. Gen. Yevgeny Buzhinsky, former department deputy head in the Russian Defense Ministry.

He did not elaborate on how a potential missile shield could be countered with nuclear weapons or why it would threaten China.

So far Washington has been mostly preoccupied with a missile shield in Central Europe and says it is needed to counter potential Iranian strikes.

In a move to ease Moscow's concerns, Obama last year scrapped plans to deploy interceptor missiles in Poland and a radar system in the Czech Republic.
Earlier this month, however, Romania and Bulgaria said they were in talks with Obama's administration to deploy elements of the U.S. missile shield on their territories from 2015.

MOSCOW, February 24 (RIA Novosti)

China could build up nuclear capability to counter U.S. missile shield | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Yeh china should quickly become the worlds super power, so they can quickly invade countries. lol.

Let's be realistic, that's the only reason china wants to be the military superpower, so they can invade Taiwan and any other country they like because no one will be there to stop them.

China is the most untrustworthy country in the world and communism doesn't help there case either.

there is no problem if any country want to become super power,the world is not reserved for only one nation,china has every right to become super power,but their come great responsibilities also,and not to mention if power means bulliying then :hang2:

there is no problem if any country want to become super power,the world is not reserved for only one nation,china has every right to become super power,but their come great responsibilities also,and not to mention if power means bulliying then :hang2:

Of course. Everyone would be fine with China becoming a world economic superpower, but they are not trustworthy and have shown not to be trustworthy. They actively seek to become a military super power which alarms everyone.

Also it makes the situation worse when you have people in the Chinese government and Chinese military saying "we must become a military superpower so we can invade Taiwan." and they wonder why the world is so against them.

China becoming a economic superpower is fine, but becoming a military superpower is not. They obviously don't want peace and they want to invade countries.

Of course. Everyone would be fine with China becoming a world economic superpower, but they are not trustworthy and have shown not to be trustworthy. They actively seek to become a military super power which alarms everyone.

Also it makes the situation worse when you have people in the Chinese government and Chinese military saying "we must become a military superpower so we can invade Taiwan." and they wonder why the world is so against them.

China becoming a economic superpower is fine, but becoming a military superpower is not. They obviously don't want peace and they want to invade countries.

Troll post. Please don't reply to his posts.

Australia Day or Invasion Day?: Australia's National Holiday Also Marks the Day of Its Invasion

Ignore him.

xdrive, don't take the claims on this forum too seriously, many chinese posters' stance here is right wing and I don't necessarily agree, but I do agree to the principle that China should modernize its military defense.

But can I ask why do you feel that china is not trustworthy and have shown not to be trustworthy? Again, I'm not trying to question you in an argumentative way, just want to know some China alarmists' opinions.

xdrive, don't take the claims/rants on this forum too seriously, many chinese posters' stance here is right wing and I don't necessarily agree, but I do agree to the principle that China should modernize its military defense.

But can I ask why do you feel that china is not trustworthy and have shown not to be trustworthy? Again, I'm not trying to question you in an argumentative way, just want to know some China alarmists' opinions.

Glad to see a reply from a Chinese person who isn't a fanatic. :)

I also agree with the fact that China should modernise it's military defence, but that isn't really what China is planning to do. China plans on going past that and building up it's military to be the strongest in the world and stronger then 5 countries put together.

This alarms people because they look at china and it's history and it's actions in the past and make an assumption.

China is a communist country. Communism hasn't really had a good past has it? In communist soviet Russia, they were hell bent on building up there military to be the strongest in the world, so they could do what they like and invade whoever they wanted to and Russia did invade alot of countries.

It's exactly what China has expressed interested in doing today. Which once again makes everyone scared.

Russia was also very secretive, just like China is today. They didn't show people in the outside world what they were doing, they controlled all the media, they controlled all there citizens movements, they didn't allow any elections, they didn't allow anyone to protest against there government even though the government were doing bad things. There was alot of human rights abuses.

So the same thing is happening in China today. History is repeating itself, and that makes people scared. China has openly expressed it's desire to invade countries and do what it likes without anyone being able to stop them. People think that China is the sleeping dragon, it's all nice and acts peaceful now but as soon as they get stronger then anyone they will come out and start invading everyone.

If China truly wanted to be a peaceful country, they wouldn't be so hostile towards other countries and they would stop with there intentions to invade countries with there plans of building up there military.

I will admit that i am a Chinese alarmist, and i feel that i have a right to be alarmed because of Chinas actions. Many people in my country and around the world feel the same way. Even my government feels the same way, we are having the largest military build up since world war 2 in response to china trying to become a military super power and expressing it's interest in invading countries such as Taiwan. Whats to stop China invading Australia for its resources in the future? Nothing.

China is the best and most sincere friend u can have...
I have lived there for 7 years and i know China is land full of mental peace
and the economic and military boom is so fast that it is on the verge of becoming a super power...

Back
Top Bottom